**The Official Minnesota Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

periopocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This school is amazing!! Please everyone contribute by sharing IS/OOS Acceptance Stats, interview stories or advice, information about the school, etc..Would really appreciate it! Good Luck To All!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The University of MINNESOTA...THE ONE AND ONLY!!! Approx 98 seats, 60% in state, 40% out of state...Amazing simulation clinic!!!! Please guys help me add more to the list!!!

So the interview usually consists of 2 interviewers and you in a room for 30-60 minutes I hear! Situational based questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing there as an OOS student. Have you heard of anyone getting residency after 1 year in MN? If not, it is one of the most expensive schools out there!

Getting residency at Minnesota is strictly prohibited, I hear they have one of the most strictest regulations amongst all dental schools! Thank you so much for posting, keep the conversation and ball rolling!

Getting residency at Minnesota is strictly prohibited, I hear they have one of the most strictest regulations amongst all dental schools! Thank you so much for posting, keep the conversation and ball rolling!

Haha wow, I didn't expect such a sure answer since the admissions people wouldn't give me one! I appreciate it!

It kind of sucks because I was a resident of MN for 20+ years and only moved away for a job.

Do you think it makes any difference if I have a spouse that will be working full time in the state?

Wow, well its seems like you have some really good reasons to deserve residency...Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to your question. I hear the way it works, Is the student themselves must be living in the state for one full year and be working (not attending school) in order to get residency..Maybe If you could get your wife to move there now, and work for a year you could get it! GL! By any chance do you have the statistics of OOS acceptance to interview ratio please??

Wow, well its seems like you have some really good reasons to deserve residency...Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to your question. I hear the way it works, Is the student themselves must be living in the state for one full year and be working (not attending school) in order to get residency..

I appreciate the info. When I go for my interview I will press the issue to see if I can get a definitive answer, preferably in writing. It would greatly affect my decision to attend the school.

Maybe If you could get your wife to move there now, and work for a year you could get it!
Haha, I like the way you think but that is not going to happen!

GL! By any chance do you have the statistics of OOS acceptance to interview ratio please??

According to this post by doc toothache http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971 ,

19% of OOS students are interviewed, and 12% are accepted. Unless I am way off, you should be able to say 12/19 of those interviewed are accepted, meaning about 63% of those interviewed are accepted.

According to the same spreadsheet, 41% of instate are interviewed and 28% accepted. This means about 68% of those in state interviewed are later accepted.

Overall, pretty good odds if you are given an interview.

AMAZING!! TY! you are the best! This definitely seems plausible, people said in previous threads from a year or so ago, that chances for OOS are 76%....63% is close enough. Asking at the interview is a very good idea, you are a student of great caliber, so I'm sure they will be happy to help!

I hear only 4 interviewees per interview day!! How crazy is that!

I'm heading there Thursday for an interview. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
got invited today for Sept 18th Tuesday. funny how yesterday Iowa gave me a interview deferral

got invited today for Sept 18th Tuesday. funny how yesterday Iowa gave me a interview deferral

Congratulations!! Just goes to show that not all dental schools are looking for the same type of applicant! This is a great school, and its > than IOWA! GL on your interview!

Congratulations!! Just goes to show that not all dental schools are looking for the same type of applicant! This is a great school, and its > than IOWA! GL on your interview!

thanks

Im also interviewing on the 18th very excited its my state school!

Igot my interview on the 18th about a month ago too !
If there are really only four interviewees per day i guess i found two other ppl right here !!
Soo coool !

Igot my interview on the 18th about a month ago too !
If there are really only four interviewees per day i guess i found two other ppl right here !!
Soo coool !

go sept 18th!

Disagree....

it's around 4 per interview group but there are four groups per day... i was jus there yesterday! i did an "interview feedback" so you should check it out and prepare answers! they have a list of questions to get through but it's really not that bad- lots of life situation kind of stuff.

goffdent sorry I didnt mean it! I was just overexcited! Olive thank you so much your a doll!

goffdent sorry I didnt mean it! I was just overexcited! Olive thank you so much your a doll!

I interviewed at minnesota as well, and was accepted. but decided on iowa. I'm not from either state, so i'm not biased in that regard. But I can honestly say that during my interview, I got a much better feel from the students at Iowa than minnesota. After being in school though, I can see how you aren't as excited once you're in it and don't portray that to interviewees.

Hey!

I was fortunate enough to receive an interview on October the 3rd. If anyone else got an interview that day ill be there on the 2nd and would love to meet up with anyone. Best of luck to everyone else, and I hope all goes well.

really? no one is there this Tuesday? Im flying in today for Mall of America LMAO
pm me if you want to hang out and etc.

Today's interview was so laid back! its all about being yourself.

Have an Oct.3 interview. I'm an International (Canadian) applicant. Excited!

What have everyone's impressions of the school been so far? I really enjoyed my time there and if I get one of the 2 OOS to in-state tuition scholarships, I know where I am going! Otherwise, it will be a tough decision as it is pricey.

I can't seem to put my finger on what exactly I didn't like. In comparison to the other interviews I have had thus far I am least interested in attending this school. However, I did enjoy the many opportunities in research that UMN has to offer as well as the community outreach clinics/rotations during 4th year.

I can't seem to put my finger on what exactly I didn't like. In comparison to the other interviews I have had thus far I am least interested in attending this school. However, I did enjoy the many opportunities in research that UMN has to offer as well as the community outreach clinics/rotations during 4th year.

Finchy, may I ask what other schools you're referring to?

Finchy, may I ask what other schools you're referring to?

Thus far this cycle I have interviewed at LSU and LECOM. I have also interviewed at UW in a previous cycle. I certainly don't think the school is a bad one or anything like that. Just not the best fit for me, I think I would enjoy the others more. That being said, if I received an acceptance only from UMN I would obviously accept it.

Interview October 3rd! What should I expect? Input from anyone ?

anyone here have interview on Oct.26,2012? This is my 1st interview, so nervous b/c Im a newbie at this. So much to wrry about, traveling plan, what to do after land at airport ? wher to stay? locating the school? Any advice & answers tto some of these questions is greatly appreciated & good luck to everyone who applied and interview this cycle !!

if I get one of the 2 OOS to in-state tuition scholarships, I know where I am going! Otherwise, it will be a tough decision as it is pricey.

Did they mention how they select the candidates for these scholarships during the interview by any chance?

Did they mention how they select the candidates for these scholarships during the interview by any chance?

Based on merit: GPA, DAT, and possibly research since they are big on it.

My town in Colorado has THREE great dentists that are golden gophers. I'm excited to get a shot at this school. :lock:

Hey I was wondering what everyone's stats were and when they sent in there applications? I applied and haven't heard anything back :( I'm getting scared. My GPA is a 3.3 and I'm afraid it's just too low. I got an interview to Iowa though, so I was hoping MN would be able to look past my GPA too.