DAT Done! Something to contribute.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chax1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT-19 :love:
QR-18:)
RC-21
Bio-20:D
GC-23 :D
OC-23:D
TS-2:D
AA-2:D

INTRO:
I'm over the moon with these scores! And most of all I want to just thank SDN for calming me down when I was an nervous basket case over the course of studying. This is a great resource. But, I'd just like to warn people how easy it is to get your perceptions swayed of what is average. There are A LOT of excellent score and with such a small cross section its easy to think that 17-19's are not as good as they actually are... that's a story for a different thread, for other people to fight about, because I have nothing but gratitude for the familiar usernames who have been nothing but helpful and who were simultaneously getting tortured by studying with me. I'll highlight the materials I used in orange

THE DOWN AND DIRTY:
PAT: 19 (69.4% :eek: who takes this test?!? graphic designers?!?) This may be the only thing I have the right to comment on so if you take away one thing from this its: I posted a thread a while back freaking out because it took me 90 MINUTES to do a PAT practice test and I only got a 17... I subsequently bought 10 test CDP and Achiever and did all the PATs. I spent a good amount of time looking at the solutions and figuring out what was wrong... Its hard, because Achiever just gives you the shape and spins it around for you, its a lot of independent thinking but... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it for PAT. Its really hard work but I went from taking 1.5x longer than allotted to getting a 19 which I believe to be above average regardless of the percentile. I actually couldn't believe this and really thought this section would be my downfall. Moral of the story: Persistence, perseverance, and hard work will pay off... DO PAT REGULARLY AND OFTEN... Its a skill that needs to develop and if you work at it early and end up taking a long break for other stuff, you're hard work will be negated.

QR: 18 I did a few tests of Math Destroyer... My QR studying definitely took a backseat to the sciences which I regret and don't regret at the same time. I should have put more time in, but I feel like I learned how to do a lot of problems from the questions I did in math destroyer... I just wish more of them ended up on my test and not that ugly trig stuff. Bottom Line: Math Destroyer is hard as crap!! It was also EXTREMELY upsetting but the tests I did I went through twice and the second time I was surprised at how much I actually learned... Do as many tests as possible. Oh yeah I also used Chad's Combination and Permutation video. I feel so lucky with this score though.... I thought it was going to be worse

RC: 21 Not much to say about this. Search and Destroy. I found the articles interesting. I took a free kaplan online practice test thing and did okay on it and I didn't do anything to prepare for this section. Ive just always had a knack for reading and verbal sections on tests.

BIO 20 I'm ecstatic. I started with Chad's Bio videos since they were free. I watched 2.1-2.5, 2.8, and 3.1-3.6. I made some pretty helpful notecards from the cellular respiration videos. I was REALLY worried about anatomy and physiology because I had never taken those courses so I turned to Khan Academy(FREE) and Cliffs and a condensed A&P book my brother needed for his job. Once I learned a new system I would do the DATqvault Bio section test on them. I did not do the benchmark tests. I went to the questions by section and did every section. I made notecards of things I got wrong, guessed on and wasn't completely comfortable. Saved every question as well and went back to do those periodically. I went through some sections like 4 times. ALSO: The DATQVault Exhibits were VERY HELPFUL. Had the same strategy with the DAT Destroyer for bio, notecards on questions I didnt know... Look through questions multiple times. Bottom Line: BREADTH BEFORE DEPTH. This section blows, its so random... The DAT software should be applied to like the department of defense because they know exactly how to target your weaknesses...

GC and OC: 23's. I thought I was going to crap myself when I saw those scores. Like I'm beyond stoked. I studied the hardest for these two. I kicked off the Summer of DAT studying with casually watching CHADS... MUST MUST MUST HAVE. It took me longer than I would have liked to get through these, I probably would have scheduled it earlier had I been more diligent. But take as thorough notes as possible. After I finished going through it I was like oh no I'm starting to forget the early stuff... After I went through them all I went back and started taking the quizzes from the beginning. I waited to do the quizzes cause I didnt see the point in doing them right after I just watched the material. So as I was doing the quizzes, I was going over my notes again and making notecards and reviewing... which is helpful cause it had been a while since I started. Then I moved onto DAT Destroyer. When people said it was overkill, I was like its probably only mildly harder than the real test.... Trust me when I say its overkill... but it WILL prepare you! I would get like 15 questions in a row wrong but I made sure to learn from the solutions. The repetition is provides with reactions and gen chem concepts is really beneficial. *NOTE about Achiever: I did like 3 SNS tests and went through all the solutions for Bio, GC and OC.

Overall: I'm glad I used the money I had saved from working at my school lib and at my local pizza place to buy the materials I did instead of take Kaplan. The stuff in orange is pretty typical of a breakdown here and if you use it correctly it will pay off!

I'll be casually lurking the forums still so feel free to PM me if you have questions! I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE, I KNOW HOW MUCH IT SUCKS. So I really do want to help it suck less! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i feel like every warning of yours to not make a certain mistake: i am making those mistakes during studying:scared:

Awesome scores!!! Congrats!! Now you can change your signature to a happy face :)

Great job! Glad everything turned out fantanstic. There is no better feeling in the world then knowing that test is behind you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! congrats on awesome scores! Now you can move on with your life!

Doesn't feel weird not to be studying for it? I was like a lost puppy for a few days.

Congrats on your solid overall scores. I was laughing when you wrote about most likely getting wrong on all the trig questions. Same thing happened to me lol....

I feel you about the lost puppy thing... I like can't comprehend how I have nothing hanging over my head.

Congrats, Chax!!! You did great! And I have to agree with the trig part; there was a surprising amount of trig on my DAT as well. o_O

Great scores but why is your TS score so low? You got excellent scores on GEN and Ochem and your Bio was great! I would image your TS score would be a 23-24 not a 21 : /

Also, I forgot to say congratulations! I know your worked SO hard, and your scores are something to be very proud of!

Also, I love your avatar. I think my boyfriend gets tired of me squealing every time "sexy vampire" comes on True Blood!

Thanks everyone!! Hope someone will find this helpful! Thank you all so much for your kind words! Really Appreciated! I still get giddy looking at my scores on my cork board.
Thanks Epic Dentistt!!!
Glimmer I really appreciate your sentiments!
Dentalkid---> I am applying this cycle! Keep me updated on how it goes with you (same for everyone! Best of luck!)

Yeah i thought TS was an average for the longest time but then I realized its just your score out of 100 SNS questions, so who knows. I'm still stoked about TS though.