****The Official UTHSC-San Antonio Class of 2017 interview/acceptance thread****

opalseal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to post your interview dates and stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, congrats on getting interviews! I am currently a first year here at UTHSCSA so I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all may have :D!

Has anyone received an invite yet? I haven't heard from then since they told me that my app was complete two months ago...

Members don't see this ad :)
I had spoken with some of the admin last month and they said that interviews began the first or second week of August! Hang in there tho, I was one of the first to submit my application and didn't hear back from them until mid-October or so. Good luck and again let me know if anyone has any questions!

I had spoken with some of the admin last month and they said that interviews began the first or second week of August! Hang in there tho, I was one of the first to submit my application and didn't hear back from them until mid-October or so. Good luck and again let me know if anyone has any questions!

Would you mind telling us your stats, when you applied, if you still remember? We would greatly appreciate it.

Would you mind telling us your stats, when you applied, if you still remember? We would greatly appreciate it.

Sure! This happened to be my second time applying to dental schools. I had a 3.3GPA going out of undergrad with a 19AA DAT and didn't get a look from any of the 13 schools I applied to (3 instate and 10 out of state). I had quite a few extracurriculars and had worked in a dental office for about 6 years so I had experience as well.

Obviously my stats weren't good enough so I went on to get a Master's degree in Biology (2 year program) and re-applied with a 4.0 masters GPA and a retaken DAT score of 21AA. I got a few out of state interviews/acceptances but only one instate interview which concerned me. Low and behold UTHSCSA ended up accepting me so it all worked out in the end.

It seems as tho people have their theories about certain schools looking for certain criteria (Baylor - research, UTHSCSA - GPA etc..) but I haven't really seen this to be the case. Our class is well-rounded and a diverse group of students.

If you're really passionate about entering the field, and don't get acceptances this time around, don't get down on yourself. Try calling schools and figuring out which aspects you can improve upon and be persistent!!

Nice work OKdent. Are you from Oklahoma by chance? When did they let you know?

Yes I am from Oklahoma (how'd you know? lol) and they sent me an email on Oct. 4th.

Hey I got an interview for November 29th, 30th...Im a foreign trained grad trying out for the advanced placement program...could someone please tell me what they usually ask in the interviews and whats the bench test like?? Thanks im freaking out! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive passed Part 1 of my board exam studying for part 2 and Im an out of state resident...

Does anyone know if SA emails you or calls you on Dec.1st?

Does anyone know if SA emails you or calls you on Dec.1st?

They do both. They'll send you an acceptance email just after midnight and then call you the later that day. At least, that's what happened to me.

Did anyone hear from San Antonio at midnight? I was told during my interview on Oct 8th that they were going to send out the emails on the 1st despite the fact that the 1st is a saturday. Then at Houston I was told that all three schools agreed that they wouldn't notify until Monday the 3rd.

Just curious to see if I missed the first round with San Antonio.

Also, what happens in TMDSAS when you get accepted? Do they send you a message?

Did anyone hear from San Antonio at midnight? I was told during my interview on Oct 8th that they were going to send out the emails on the 1st despite the fact that the 1st is a saturday. Then at Houston I was told that all three schools agreed that they wouldn't notify until Monday the 3rd.

No, nothing happens with TMDSAS when you get accepted. Not unless they changed it from last year. The only way you'll know that you've been accepted is if the school notifies you.

You didn't miss the first round. SA notifies on Monday :) GL!

Was there a writing part for SA interview mine is coming up pretty soon.

Was there a writing part for SA interview mine is coming up pretty soon.

Yes, it's at the very end they give you an easy prompt and you can have all the time you want to complete it. The writing part is just there to make sure you can write coherently lol. Don't worry about it.

Yes, it's at the very end they give you an easy prompt and you can have all the time you want to complete it. The writing part is just there to make sure you can write coherently lol. Don't worry about it.

The writing part at the end of your interview is to make sure that the writing style of your application essays match with the writing style of the essay you write at the end of the interview...aka, checking to make sure you actually wrote your app essays. But it's nothing to fret about...it's easy.

It's a bad thing to go look at the 2016 acceptance thread :( You see everyone's happiness and it makes you all the more anxious.

Facebook group????

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Congrats Guys!!

UTHSCSA is definitely a great school and has been an awesome experience this first semester (I'm a DS1). If y'all have any questions, holler!

Make sure you take advantage of these next few months!! We start the earliest of any dental school that I know of (first week of July) so make sure you get in some good R&R before then.

Congrats again and welcome C/O 2017!!:D

Is anyone going to make a facebook group?? :D

Anyone out there interview on the 26th hear anything back today?

Im in too!! Was accepted at 12:06 monday morning!! So excited! We need to get a facebook group going asap. Cant wait to meet all of you

Hey guys! I just created my SDN account, but I am also accepted to the UTHSCSA dental school class of 2017! Definitely interested in a facebook group, so if we already have one (I couldn't find it) let me know, but if not I will start one!

Hey guys! I just created my SDN account, but I am also accepted to the UTHSCSA dental school class of 2017! Definitely interested in a facebook group, so if we already have one (I couldn't find it) let me know, but if not I will start one!

There isn't one yet so you are free to start one if you want! That would be awesome

i just got an invite for jan 14!
my first texas interview

what r the chance of acceptances since I have a post-dec interview?

anyone gonna be there from 11-14? i will be there sight-seeing.

Did anyone else interview on Dec. 10th with UTHSCSA. Has anyone from this date heard back yet?

Nope, u ? I wonder when is the 2nd wave of acceptances go out in Texas ?

Got invited Jan 10th to interview at UTHSCSA on Jan 28th. First TX interview. Is the lass full? Or do they still have spots open? Good luck to everyone!

my friend got accepted last year around April-May. anything can happen

Got invited Jan 10th to interview at UTHSCSA on Jan 28th. First TX interview. Is the lass full? Or do they still have spots open? Good luck to everyone!
The class is definitely not full. They wouldn't invite you to interview if so. There's still a chance. I interviewed December 10th. Have not heard back yet. Good luck on your interview. Just be yourself, I believe that's what they want. They just want to put a face and personality to the stats they already have on us.

Did anyone else interview on Dec. 10th with UTHSCSA. Has anyone from this date heard back yet?

I was there on Dec 10th and nope i haven't heard back from them yet.

Nope, u ? I wonder when is the 2nd wave of acceptances go out in Texas ?

I called last week and they said they will be sent out at end of this month. But my friend called today and they said end of February. I was wondering if anyone else called and if they got any similar or different reply?

Same. See you then! It's also my first Texas interview. :D

The class is definitely not full. They wouldn't invite you to interview if so. There's still a chance. I interviewed December 10th. Have not heard back yet. Good luck on your interview. Just be yourself, I believe that's what they want. They just want to put a face and personality to the stats they already have on us.

Thats good to know! Thanks for the info!

Same. See you then! It's also my first Texas interview. :D

Good luck! See you then!

my friend got accepted last year around April-May. anything can happen

Hopefully they will tell us more info about how many spots are open or when they plan to send out more acceptances. Good luck to everyone!

Thats good to know! Thanks for the info!

Good luck! See you then!

Hopefully they will tell us more info about how many spots are open or when they plan to send out more acceptances. Good luck to everyone!

2nd round acceptances will go out this week or next week (it will be around 30 more offers)

confirmed by Dr. Segura

I looked on the TMDSAS thread and looks like some lucky person got accepted into UTHSCSA today! Does anyone know if they only sent second round invites today or are they sending them through out the week?