How Many Years Did/Will You Spend Getting into Professional School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Many Years Did/Will You Spend Getting into Professional School?

• < 1

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1-2

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • 2-3

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • 3-4

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • 5-6

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • 6-7

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • 7+

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Still debating whether I want to go to a professional school

• N/A

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be interesting to have some data for those just starting down this path. Start counting from the date you decided to go to professional school until the date you matriculated (or the date when you expect to matriculate).

For me, it was about 2.5 years. I decided to apply early in 2004, took the MCAT in August 2004, applied to medical school in 2005, and matriculated in 2006. No postbac.

Members don't see this ad.

7+. I had to get my Bachelor's degree almost from scratch, while working fulltime and getting clinical exposure. I'm on my third application cycle.

2002 through 2010 for medicine. Since 2000 for planning to go to paramedic school. Started with college algebra at CCSF. Another life time ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided in February of 2010, though I had already completed the majority of the pre-reqs as a biology major so there wasn't much extra work to do. Took MCAT stupidly 3 months later and applied in June 2010. Somehow everything worked out and I started in July of 2011.

*should have picked 1-2 years, my b.

Last edited:
If you ignore the times I decided I was going to do it as a kid but never followed through... I'm looking at a just shy of a decade probably. I decided I really did want to go in about 2004-2005 but didn't really have a clue what route (I was thinking MD/PhD at that time) Then I started a master's degree, life happened and I left the program, then I got a CLS degree to have a real job and some life experience for awhile. Now I'm finishing an MPH while still working my real job and will be applying when I graduate, finally. But I really don't regret the winding, offtrack route.

If I'd known how easy it was to get into medical school, I would have done it years ago. (I said the exact same thing today during a med school interview and got some smiles from the interviewers.) I never looked up the requirements, and just kind of assumed that it would mean at least two more years of college before I was eligible. After I learned that I could do all the prereqs in a year, it didn't take long before I committed myself to my current path.

I'll give myself 3 years. Currently, I'm doing an informal post-bacc, hopefully finishing within a year. Then I'll apply for Medical school. If I don't get in I'll do an SMP and apply again.

Let's just hope this plan works out for me.

It's going to take me 10 years in total (including undergrad degree and a gap year).

I graduated HS in 2003 and knew that I wanted to pursue medicine. However, I was very immature and irresponsible that I didn't care for school, didn't bother to study, and end up getting C's and D's and many W's. My biggest problem, however, was that I was too stubborn to admit that I wasn't committed to school. I kept taking class, failing some, dropping others, and retaking more. Three years later, I had about 60 units of 2.4 GPA.

After taking a year off from school, I decided to start all over again. I was serious this time. Since 2008 until now, I have taken over 120 units. All my grades with A's and B's. Thanks to the AACOMAS retake policy, I was able to pull my GPA to 3.4.

I was all ready to apply this cycle, but didn't have a good MCAT score. I am hoping to apply next June with an MCAT of 28+.

I quit and went full time.

Currently plan is 3.5.......... If everything had worked perfectly, it would have been 2.5 but it was tough.

If I do not get accepted my first cycle, 4.5+

Note, this is not including my first bachelor's degree.

3.5 years from decision to matriculation for me. Decided after one terrible terrible first year and I've been making up for it ever since. Add into those 3.5 years, getting married, having a child, volunteering, shadowing, clubs, prereqs, and working a full time job the whole time, and that has made for a busy few years!

I always had the doctor in my sights but life got in the way since high school

7+years for the bachelors
3 years working
1 year post bacc
3 years applying.
Had 2 kids, 5 surgeries, a marriage and divorce in the middle of it all.

Matriculated 14 years after I graduated high school.

I marked 4-5, indicating the time since I started back to school (2 years ago now)

In reality it's closer to 25, I wanted to do this since highschool but decided to have a career and family instead and it's taken me this long to find my way back to the path.

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared: This is the part that worries and scares me. It will be very nerve-wracking despite knowing that all you can do is try again the following year while improving your stats and no guarantee of success.

That's true. I will be doing my third application cycle too. Getting over poor stats is a bitch.

Well, this depends how we classify it. I'm going to assume you mean time in post-bacc + applying. So far I'm 2+ years but the soonest possible will be 3 years to actually enter. The biggest problem I had in post-bacc was class availability. I wasn't able to find a good time to take O.Chem, so I'm stuck doing 1 class each semester right now.

5 years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Where are you going that you can get all the prereqs done in one year? Or did you already have some of them complete to start with?

Well, this depends how we classify it. I'm going to assume you mean time in post-bacc + applying. So far I'm 2+ years but the soonest possible will be 3 years to actually enter. The biggest problem I had in post-bacc was class availability. I wasn't able to find a good time to take O.Chem, so I'm stuck doing 1 class each semester right now.
As I explained in the OP, I mean from the time you decided to go to medical school (or other professional school) until the time you matriculated. So if you started your post bac right away after deciding to go to med school, then the times will pretty much coincide. If you waited a semester or a year to start the post bac, then you're underestimating the total time.

In my case, I decided to go to medical school six months before taking the MCAT and 1.5 years before applying, and that's how I wound up with 2.5 years total (including my app year).

One year taking trig and precalc and thinking about med school.

Two years taking post bach classes.

One year applying

Another reapplying

Finally in. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Uh oh... well, if you start from when I decided to become a doctor, that would be 33 years... :cool:

I started thinking about it in 2011, just before I entered my MBA program. By the time I finish the MBA, as well as a post bac program, it will be 2015. If all goes well, I should be able to start med school in fall of 2015... so about 4 years.

As I explained in the OP, I mean from the time you decided to go to medical school (or other professional school) until the time you matriculated. So if you started your post bac right away after deciding to go to med school, then the times will pretty much coincide. If you waited a semester or a year to start the post bac, then you're underestimating the total time.

In my case, I decided to go to medical school six months before taking the MCAT and 1.5 years before applying, and that's how I wound up with 2.5 years total (including my app year).
You did! I always check these forums late night and overlook stuff.

In that case, I think I waited an extra semester because I decided at the same time as classes had just started, so the time frame is still in the 3-4 range for me.

EDiT: Looking by the time stamp, seems I overlooked it in the day. Fail.

Last edited:
You did! I always check these forums late night and overlook stuff.

In that case, I think I waited an extra semester because I decided at the same time as classes had just started, so the time frame is still in the 3-4 range for me.

EDiT: Looking by the time stamp, seems I overlooked it in the day. Fail.
:laugh:

It's ok, no excuses needed. It's not like anyone listens to what I say IRL, either. :oops:

Already gave six years to the military for a means to pay for college and clinical exposure. Starting at the Univ of Fl in the Spring (Biomed Eng), then hopefully straight into professional school. Not including military, should take 3 years.

Question, Q, did you receive your PH.D during medical school? MD/PHD program?

Right around 2 years. Decided to go for it in summer 2008, took all the prereqs from Aug 08 to Aug 09 (had a liberal arts BA previously), MCAT late July 09, interview/acceptance in Sept-Oct 09, started Aug 2010.

It REALLY took me 10 years, but officially in pursuit of finally getting into med school was 3-4 for me.

(I had a full-time job/career w/ a large corporation for 5 years)

So it took me 1 year (living off my savings) to study for the MCAT full-time and get a competitive score. Then it took me 1 ap cycle to interview and not do so well. I did a post-bacc to wrangle up some fresher letters of recommendation (since I was a grad of '00) and some more clinical/leadership experiences.

Another ap cycle to get interviewed AND waitlisted (at MD and DO schools). Then another ap cycle, on the ball...meaning really early and organized, to get an interview and an acceptance.

I'm an MS3. Yay.

Yes, but I already had an MS, which really sped things along. I re-took quals a month or two after starting, and then basically worked on my projects full time.

I suddenly feel very small and like a mental midget...

I suddenly feel very small and like a mental midget...
Why on earth would you feel that way? Granted I took some time off, but it was a total of nine years in between when I started grad school and when I finally finished my PhD. That's nothing to be proud of when the average time to completion for organic chemistry PhD students is more like six years. There's also a lot more serendipity influencing how long your PhD takes than many people realize. I had a couple of dead end projects, but I also had a couple of lucky hits. There's often no way to know ahead of time which project will pan out in the end, and the more interesting/novel your work is, the more likely it is to come to nothing.

Well, I have always wanted to pursue a Ph.D in biomed engineering. I would love to research the next great surgical instrument. But I couldn't imagine doing that and learning to be a surgeon.

But it's ok, it's refreshing to have my ego checked by someone as capable as you, lol.

Knew at 14. Got accepted to few guaranteed BA/MDs at 15. Went to one at 16... my adjustment did not go so well. Left program to go to another school at 17. Took some time off (for a rare opportunity) at 19. Came back at 20. Got a job I loved at 22. Decided to finally plow forward with more (recent) coursework and formal research at 23. Took MCAT at 24. Applied at 25. Matriculate (knocks on a sequoia) at 26.

And yes, by that math had I continued in the BA/MD I would be a 2nd year resident right now, instead of an applicant. But had I mad the mistakes I've made over these years while I was in med school/ residency, I might also not even be a physician now... So I'll call it a wash.

Decided I wanted to go to school in 2008 at the age of 23. Started at the local CC that fall and life circumstances veered my path towards something less lengthy...got my bachelors in business 2.5 years later and quickly began what I had wanted to do originally - get into med school.

Halfway on my 3rd of 4 semesters to take all prereqs. Working full time and volunteering. Total time from beginning to application - 4.5 years, should be 5.5 if I get in 1st cycle.

Made the decision halfway thru PA school. Completed PA school. Spent 6 months completing pre-reqs, MCAT, & application. Worked for 6 months. Was accepted. Quit job & then, started school.

Couldn't be happier.

BTW, QofQ, your posts were sooooooo helpful in my struggles while studying for the mcat. I just completed Step 1 last month & am awaiting my score.
Thank you so much for helping me get to this point.

Last edited:
Made the decision halfway thru PA school. Completed PA school. Spent 6 months completing pre-reqs, MCAT, & application. Worked for 6 months. Was accepted. Quit job & then, started school.

Couldn't be happier.

BTW, QofQ, your posts were sooooooo helpful in my struggles while studying for the mcat. I just completed Step 1 last month & am awaiting my score.
Thank you so much for helping me get to this point.

Wow almost the same story as me! Decided to go for med school in December of 2010, 8 months of finishing pre-reqs, MCAT and application, applied Aug. 2010, worked for 6 months and quit to start in Fall of 2011. All in all about 1.5-2 years...

Wow almost the same story as me! Decided to go for med school in December of 2010, 8 months of finishing pre-reqs, MCAT and application, applied Aug. 2010, worked for 6 months and quit to start in Fall of 2011. All in all about 1.5-2 years...

Sounds like we found the recipe for success!