DAT DONE Jan 21 2012 [BREAKDOWN]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nirjar2212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores: (Percentile)
PAT: 19 (62.7):thumbdown:
QR: 22 (96.4):thumbup:
RC: 21 (77.1):thumbup:
BIO: 23 (97.4) :naughty::rolleyes:
GC: 24 (96.1):love:
OC: 19 (67.1):oops::thumbdown:
TS: 22 (94.8):thumbup:
AA: 22 (95.7) :thumbup:

Days for Preperation: 39 Days. Sorry didn't counted hours but you can say I studied for 8 hours Atleeast. Last two weeks may be around 14-16 hours.

Background: Undergraduate at TEMPLE University. 3.9 Science GPA, 3.75 Overall GPA. Bio classes taken: Bio 1 & 2, Genetics, Mammalian Anatomy, Cell Structure and Function (when you see question related to clathrin, G protiens and stuff..those are covered here...pretty much a requirement for BioChem)

Materials Used:
KBB and Kaplan white book, Campbell Presentation(Important), DAT and Math Destroyer, Achiever Test 1 and 2, Topscore test 1, CDP-10 test version with videos, CDR-5 test version. CHAD's Videos, Gen Chem notes from college classes.

Truth About Kaplan Blue Book vs White Book(One given when you do Kaplan classes. I got it from my friend). Same material. KBB has colored diagrams in Bio. I don't know about other section (didn't went through). KBB has tear outs at the end which are really good for quick review.

Test vs Materials:
PAT: It was the hardest PAT test I ever took. All the sections were relatively harder than CDP. I feel like CDP is good for initial practice but you must use Achiever (7 test version..more practice) to get more than 18. Remember, this test is evolving so I strongly believe that CDP is OUTDATED.
Keyholes: more proportions (may be do Kaplan and Topscore along with Achiever);
TFE: more like Achiever---no line counting( I already knew that);
Hole Punching: More like Kaplan and CDP..very straight forward..Line of Symmetry works.
Angle: Very much like CDP. But I would not recommend CDP just for angles. All materials have decent angle ranking sections.
Cube Counting: Straight Forward..Kaplan and Achiever is good enough.
Pattern Folding: Like 2009 ADA, more shapes with no shading, maybe like 5-6 shadings. So this proves that CDP is bull****. I think topscore has regular folding without shades..whatever just make sure you know what you are doing.
Time: I finished the last question as the clock ran down.

Sciences:
BIO: Went thorough KBB, Used bio notes posted by fellow SDN member (I think its called KBB combined notes or something. If you know who it is, then let me know so I can credit him here.)Probably best notes for Bio. Went through Camplbells Presentation from Chapter 1-57. Tired! REMEMBER: They used CAMPBELL to make this freaking section. SO, the best way to tackle this section is going through CAMPBELL. Questions were straight from presentations. There were like 4-5 Taxanomy questions. All topics were covered. It was probably like they took 1 question from each chapter Campbell. Believe me when I tell you this.
Also a personal advice: No need to take upper level Bio if you are going to use campbell as your primary resource.
Most representative: 2009 ADA and TopScore

GC: Just know your stuff. I didn't use Chad for this section. All topics are covered. Top Score is pretty good. 2009 ADA is too easy (See my other post about 2009 ADA scores just 2 days before exam). No ridiculous calculations as Achiever. More conceptual and basic Gas law calculations.

OC: Used Chad's video. Reason for low score is I took OC 2 years before as a freshmen. Completely forgot everything. Chad really helped. Majority questions were right out of Destroyer. Man, that **** was the great investment. Definitely get that!! There was one question which was not covered by Chads and Destroyer. Other questions really checks if you understand all mechanisms. Chad was a great investment.

Thing that I would do different: may be do destroyer more 2-3 time (for ORGO) and attempt them as test questions. I was running out of time. 39 days are not that much. If you want more than 21+(in every section) then probably give DAT in summer.

RC: 2009 ADA test is very representative of the paragraphs. Got 21 on 2009 ADA and also got 21 here. Very similar questions as 2009 ADA. Use CDR for practice. Don't get more than 5 tests. Do Achiever. Paragraphs: Genetic Disorders, Optic Cable and Prions (Achiever had very similar para.).

QR: Math Destroyer. There were 2 weird questions. I spent last 5 minute solving that. If you find something hard just mark it and go to the next one. Probability questions were easy and straight forward. Word Problems. Trig. Area and stuff. Math Destroyer is a must if you want more than 20+.

Advice: Avoid Kaplan. Make a schedule that keeps you on track. Reading anything one time is not gonna help you memorize. Review your stuff. Give as many Practice test as possible. Minimum give 7 Achiever, 2009 ADA, 1 Kaplan, 3 Top Score. I know it sounds too much but every practice test out there is good in one section but lacks in other sections. Always start your practice tests with hardest tests then do 2009 ADA like 3-4 days before.

Question that I want to ask:
How good is the score? Is 19 in PAT gonna raise some eyebrows? I am probably applying to UPENN, Temple and other Northeastern colleges. Any chance in UPenn? I know Temple is gonna welcome me. UPenn declines then I am probably going to Temple.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would add stuff like practice score if you guys ask for it.

Thanks: SDN community is the best community. If I didn't got involved and read pretty much every post here, I would probably never get more than 18-19. I used all the materials suggested by you guys. Special thanks to guy that posted Bio notes here. You sir are the best. If you guys want his notes than just let me know. Also let me know if you know his user Id so I can give proper credit.
Edit: Bio notes are posted by scsc7211. He also posted original thread in the comments. If you use his notes then please thank him.
Spring Classes starts tomorrow!! Remember: Test is evolving.

EDIT: I just added Bio notes that I primarily used. Do not use this as a shortcut thinking that you would get 20+ if you just memorize this. If you don't understand anyword or concept then refer to campbell or wikipedia.

Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1K_Xn9LoSepqoSZOnTnFMm8r46FKymKrt7q1aQi7lLBfUYeMyVGAhpPoxtKMn/edit

Let me know if this does or doesn't work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you send the Bio Notes my way? I am taking the DAT on Monday (a week from today) and I am starting to hit the freak out stage. Especially with what you said about the CDP stuff.

I took the 2009 DAT today and got the following (based on the 2007 grading sheet):

Bio-18
Gen Chem-19
Organic Chem- 19
PAT-24
RC-19
QR-20
TS-19
AA-20

I have taken 7 CDP tests to this point, with my last 4 being 22, 26, 22, 23.

I have also taken 3 Achiever Tests but am only averaging 16-17's on those.

Do you have any advice for me at all? I am assuming we will have very similar tests as we are taking it only a week apart.

I really want that 20. I have one week left. But I have to get it!

Could you send the Bio Notes my way? I am taking the DAT on Monday (a week from today) and I am starting to hit the freak out stage. Especially with what you said about the CDP stuff.

I took the 2009 DAT today and got the following (based on the 2007 grading sheet):

Bio-18
Gen Chem-19
Organic Chem- 19
PAT-24
RC-19
QR-20
TS-19
AA-20

I have taken 7 CDP tests to this point, with my last 4 being 22, 26, 22, 23.

I have also taken 3 Achiever Tests but am only averaging 16-17's on those.

Do you have any advice for me at all? I am assuming we will have very similar tests as we are taking it only a week apart.

I really want that 20. I have one week left. But I have to get it!

I was averaging 21 on CDP.. Paterrn and angle were culprit. But as I told pattern is very different than CDP... Very few shading questions... Do more achiever tests and understand why every given coice is wrong or right.. Even though you get something right...
For bio I will upload file by tomorrow... Just remind me again if I don't... I highly recommend going thru Campbell presentation.. Just Google it and you will find website... Someone posted link like few days ago... You need serious work in Orgo and GC... Get your concepts right.. Do destroyer for OC... Road maps were really helpful...GC in 2009 is easy...so you need more work here...may be Chad should help.. Practice Topscore... They have good science section. Yours PAT score of 24 in 2009 means you are on your way of getting 20+..don't stop practice..stop doing CDP and do achiever or Kaplan for keyhole and pattern... For RC do achiever and you should get 20+...I got 18-19 on achiever tests... In one of them I got 14 in gen Chem... RC ranged from 16-18. For PAT I got like 18-19...exam is gonna be a more like achiever with angle ranking like CDP and pattern folding like Topscore/2009 ADA/achiever
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thing is, Top Score and Destroyer would have to be shipped, correct? I have 5 days until I take the test. They won't make it here in time...

Thing is, Top Score and Destroyer would have to be shipped, correct? I have 5 days until I take the test. They won't make it here in time...

Topscore you can buy online. I would not give DAT without Destroyer. You might want to postpone if you feel unprepared. Some questions in DAT were directly or very related to destroyer especially in GC and Orgo. Math destroyer is also must. I will upload bio Notes in like 2-3 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do Destroyer while reviewing with CHAD video or after you have done watching?

I did destroyer after doing Chad's. I recommend that you memorize everything Chad presented to you. Then directly go to Road maps. Understand them with what Chad taught. Then start doing destroyer and you would miss very less questions the first time.

you know how Chad has a SN1 SN2 E1 E2 roadmap outline and he list base and Nu according to the strength. Do I need to go extra do search for more bases and Nu in the textbook because Odyssey gives me new reagents every time. How do Chads reactions and destroyer Roadmap compliments each other? Are they enough? Also, what did you mean understand the roadmap by Chads lesson? Thank you very much. I really need help.

you know how Chad has a SN1 SN2 E1 E2 roadmap outline and he list base and Nu according to the strength. Do I need to go extra do search for more bases and Nu in the textbook because Odyssey gives me new reagents every time. How do Chads reactions and destroyer Roadmap compliments each other? Are they enough? Also, what did you mean understand the roadmap by Chads lesson? Thank you very much. I really need help.

Reagents provided by Chad is enough. Some gaps are filled up by destroyer. Chad covers enough to get 18. Destroyer provides some more and important info. Very similar questions showed up on real DAT. Yes destroyer and Chad are enough if you understand them. There was only one question where I was like WTF?? By understand, I mean just do not memorize like a robot. Little bit understanding of reagents and what pathway they go thru would really help you..which is nucleophile and electrophile..syn or anti addition... Focus on more basic reaction such sn2, sn1, e1,e2, all reations concerning alcholos, oxidation and reduction of ketones and aldehydes. Expext 2-3 questions about spectroscopy. Know how to arrange acid and bases. Overall, Nothing complex but just checking if you got basic organic reactions down. Practice as much as you can and learn from your mistakes.go over every question of test even of you get something right. Hope this helps.

Also get topscore. Very representative of sciences overall. Good investment.

I think I got the same DAT version like yours, and my PAT was also 19 :-(. I agree with you that it was the hardest PAT test that I ever took. My average CDP for PAT was 22 or higher. I'm also wondering if I have to retake the test to improve my PAT score. Anyway, good luck with your application.

I think I got the same DAT version like yours, and my PAT was also 19 :-(. I agree with you that it was the hardest PAT test that I ever took. My average CDP for PAT was 22 or higher. I'm also wondering if I have to retake the test to improve my PAT score. Anyway, good luck with your application.

I am not going to retake since my AA and TS are really high and meets requirement of every dental school out there. My GPA is the same. When it comes to PAT, 19 is not that bad. It better then getting 20+ in PAT but getting 17 or 18 in sciences as specially biology.

Hello
I did my undergrad in Bio 8 years ago. I am returning to the field. Planning to take my DAT in May for 2014 year. Where should I start? Anyone have any prep books/material they want to sell? DAT Destroyer is sold out on Amazon. Any tips/advice will help. I currently have Kaplan Blue Book 7th edition and I have Barron's AP CHEM and BIO books. I am allotting 3-4 months of prep. Is that enough? too little? Any feedback would be great! :)

Hello
I did my undergrad in Bio 8 years ago. I am returning to the field. Planning to take my DAT in May for 2014 year. Where should I start? Anyone have any prep books/material they want to sell? DAT Destroyer is sold out on Amazon. Any tips/advice will help. I currently have Kaplan Blue Book 7th edition and I have Barron's AP CHEM and BIO books. I am allotting 3-4 months of prep. Is that enough? too little? Any feedback would be great! :)

Destroyer: http://www.orgoman.com/datdestroyer.html

I'd definitely recommend Chad's Videos.

Hello

Get achiever 7 test version. Also get top score. Each test have its strengths and weaknesses. Chad is a great investment. DAT and Math destroyer are really great tool to get 20+. For bio going through Campbell wrote power point helps. For overall review of bio use kaplan blue book.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

When are you starting Dental School and where? Please start to get used to sleepless nights and lots of stress. ;)

When are you starting Dental School and where? Please start to get used to sleepless nights and lots of stress. ;)

I am applying this summer and would likely go to UPENN if they offer me scholarship or may be go to other school... Thanks for the heads up.

i got a 19 on my dat (AA) and a overall science of 20 with a 17 Pat gpa is a 3.6 and my science gpa is a 3.5 what are my chances of getting in im applying in june

You should be getting interviews if you apply early. You should also do more dental exposure and get really good letter of recommendations. Also, make a great effort in your personal statement and you should be fine. Just letting you know that some colleges have cutoff at 17-18 for each section. Just apply to all of the low profile colleges whose AA is 18-19. And be prepared to answer questions regarding your low PAT during your interview. Good luck.

Question that I want to ask:
How good is the score? Is 19 in PAT gonna raise some eyebrows? I am probably applying to UPENN, Temple and other Northeastern colleges. Any chance in UPenn? I know Temple is gonna welcome me. UPenn declines then I am probably going to Temple.

The PAT is not show a direct correlation and half of the schools I know don't really care about PAT.