How Difficult is DS? Part II-Schedules Year 1-4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As can be seen from the summary, attending dental school is a full time job with precious little time left for studying. The average number of courses per year stands at 25 with 43 credit hours. Summer session schedules and courses were not included.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DSl Schedules Summary SDN.doc
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,496
  • DS1 Year 1 Sem I ScheduleSDN-C.doc
    609.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • DS1 Year 1 Sem II Schedule SDN-C.doc
    706.5 KB · Views: 490
  • DS1 Year 2 Sem I Schedule SDN-C.doc
    717 KB · Views: 335
  • DS1 Year 2-Sem II Schedule SDN-C.doc
    745.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DS1 Year 3 Sem I Schedule SDN-C.doc
    651 KB · Views: 273
  • DS1 Year 3 Sem II Schedule SDN-C.doc
    735 KB · Views: 212
  • DS1 Year 4 Sem I Schedule-SDN-C.doc
    658.5 KB · Views: 270
  • DS1 Year 4 Sem II Schedule SDN-C.doc
    753.5 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: 1 user
First year, first semester looks to have quite a bit more "free" time during the days than I would have expected. Granted, this isn't really free time, as you're probably in the library or at home studying like mad, but it is non-class/non-lecture time at least.

Seems to pick up some steam in D1/Sem II, and then D2/Sem I and II really get loaded.

Looking forward to this challenge. Thanks for all of the work you've done to supply this type of information!

Like my Dental Hygienist mother always says, "If you can just pull C's, you'll still be a Dentist in four years."

Members don't see this ad :)
Like my Dental Hygienist mother always says, "If you can just pull C's, you'll still be a Dentist in four years."

If you're not trying to specialize its really the best way to go! You will be less miserable that way. Still miserable..but much less :)

Is there much of a summer vacation in dental school? I dont even know... Thanks

Is there much of a summer vacation in dental school? I dont even know... Thanks

It varies by school. Some schools seem to have a pretty open schedule. Others seem like they're year-round. At my joint, we have 5 weeks off throughout the year. I think it's two two-week breaks and one one-week break. After first year, you get a little over 3 months off for boards. But no one takes that much time. A couple of people took boards within a week after spring quarter ended (last test was Wednesday, took boards the following Monday) and now have 3 full months of summer. Kind of awesome. After that, no summers besides that two-week thing mentioned above.

this is an excellent resource. thank you very much

Really appreciate the resource. What school (or schools) was this modeled after?

Wired post: 13806980 said:
Same thing my hygienist friends used to tell me lol glad never listened otherwise wouldn't had make it to dental school

hey doc, i know some schools have three semesters. At least I believe most do. fall, spring, summer. Am I wrong? How would this schedule relate to three semesters rather than 2?

either way, we are all in for some ass kicking lol.

Reactions: 1 users
hey doc, i know some schools have three semesters. At least I believe most do. fall, spring, summer. Am I wrong? How would this schedule relate to three semesters rather than 2?
You are confusing the terminology. There are only 2 semesters per calendar year. About 1/3 of the schools are on the trimester system. Summer sessions are common, but they are limited in scope. In general, the material offered (contact hours) over 2 semesters is equivalent to 3 trimesters.

You are confusing the terminology. There are only 2 semesters per calendar year. About 1/3 of the schools are on the trimester system. Summer sessions are common, but they are limited in scope. In general, the material offered (contact hours) over 2 semesters is equivalent to 3 trimesters.
Ohh, ok thanks doc