DAT Done!!! Scores, breakdown and advice needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgupta3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got done with the DAT! I started studying in winter break so I had almost 2 months to study. I've never studied so hard in my life every single day. I feels surreal to have so much free time now haha.

PAT 16
QR 15
RC 19
Bio 19
GC 25
OC 25
TS 22
AA 21

GPA: 3.01

The PAT and QR were hard, I was disappointed with these 2 scores. But I was kinda expecting that since I spend most of my time focusing on the sciences and ran out of time towards the end. It used Crack DAT PAT and the Math Destroyer for those 2 sections. I don't think CDP was similar to the real thing in terms of the keyhole and top front end sections. The real DAT had really hard questions so I would suggest trying something other than CDP. I took the DAT once before and it was more similar to CDP then, than it is now. I heard the PAT section evolves every year so that makes sense I guess.

Biology was sooooo random! Like I got one question about the significance of the cloning of dolly....I did alright but still. A lot of my studying came from the Kaplan Blue book and Cliffs AP. I also used a bunch of notes that people posted on here. Alan's notes were awesome to review after reading the books.

The 2 chem sections were SO easy it's not even funny! I used Chad's videos and the Destroyer. The destroyer was super overkill, chad's videos would've been more than enough because the questions I got were so basic. Genchem has just conceptual questions and no real question involving calculations (except one easy hess's law question). I flew through orgo in just 7 minutes, the questions were not difficult at all.

Also this site was amazing. Every question I ever had while studying, I came here and someone had the answer. Can't be thankful enough. Not sure what else to say lol. Does the percentile mean anything? My AA is in the 97% percentile.

Now I need advice. Should I retake the DAT? This is my second time taking it. The first time, my AA was 16.
Last year my GPA was 2.86 and I brought it up to 3.0 last semester. I'm trying to get it up to at least 3.2 this semester hopefully by getting straight A's. I'm a reapplicant trying to show some dental schools some real improvement.

What do you guys think? I know my chances are extremely slim if there even is a chance. Trying to be optimistic but at the same time, feeling a little...bleh. Looking for some direction. I'm gonna apply this june and try to get a job for next fall at NIH or some government organization as a sort of back up plan while I pursue dental schools. I wan't to do further schooling like a masters or something but I'm not sure if it's a better idea to do one of the post-bacc programs or get an actual masters degree in something.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bah... My internet was disconnected when i hit reply and all my comment got deleted.

My point was good job on the sciences

However, two sections are below average (atleast 18)

Schools do not get to see your percentiles unfortunately

Also low GPA suggest you are still on the disadvantage for this application cycle.

Suggest taking it again and call the school to make sure they are ok with these scores because some schools really do care about PAT because that shows your aptitude in visualization skills when it comes to clinical.

Wish you luck..

hey since DAT destroyer is overkill for you do you want to sell it? Its 150 right now new I'm trying to get it for less

chlrbwls: Yeah I really wasn't expecting to do that bad on the PAT section. I feel like maybe I should retake it for a third time since I won't be taking a heavy course load in the fall...thanks. I'll check with schools.

hunterx2: Ah I gave the destoryers to my friend already. Sorry about that :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice scores man. For QR. did they ask about geometric figures? Ellipses?

I ask because I'm taking it tomorrow.

Thanks! Yeah they asked me one question about ellipses. A lot of questions were word problems which I suck at. Good luck with your DAT!

You refinitely did a great job on the sciences. Congrats on that. The RC and the PAT you need a bit more work. You can definitely do better when you take it again, just you need to work on those sections. Good luck.

Nice scores man. For QR. did they ask about geometric figures? Ellipses?

I ask because I'm taking it tomorrow.

For math, it could throw so many curve balls I personally cannot vouch for what is gonna be in there

Personally I had a lot of statistics question and calculations

I could handle the calculations but statistics threw me off so I didnt get as high scores as I did during practice.

But geometry and algebra is a must

Geometry in terms of Ellipses, Cones, Pyramids? Not so much

Maybe in terms of getting the slant height maybe...

The dental school here in Augusta, Georgia doesn't put too much emphasis on the PAT. Sure, a high score looks nice, but I have been told time and time again (by accepted students, students who give the interviews, etc.) that it is the least looked at score of your DAT

For math, it could throw so many curve balls I personally cannot vouch for what is gonna be in there

Personally I had a lot of statistics question and calculations

I could handle the calculations but statistics threw me off so I didnt get as high scores as I did during practice.

But geometry and algebra is a must

Geometry in terms of Ellipses, Cones, Pyramids? Not so much

Maybe in terms of getting the slant height maybe...

What exactly about statistics do we need?