THE SOAP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravijaua

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just applied to 30 program by 2 pm EST, as of now 0 emails or calls but more than half download my application. Is this a good sign or mean nothing? I mean do they download everyone's application or they can see scores before deciding to downloading? anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just applied to 30 program by 2 pm EST, as of now 0 emails or calls but more than half download my application. Is this a good sign or mean nothing? I mean do they download everyone's application or they can see scores before deciding to downloading? anyone know?

How'd you know they downloaded your application?

I assume they need to download before they can see your scores. I also assume like me and probably most of us which is why we're in SOAP, your scores kinda suck for whatever residency you're applying into.

You wont get offers until tomorrow, but emails and calls should come sometime after they've seen the majority of their applications.

I know it's impossible to say, but looking at how last year's SOAP process went you probably won't hear anything until tomorrow.

Survivor DO

Three of my students have SOAPed - no word as of yet.

Just curious...how many unfilled spots does it show in total this year..Total unfilled spots.thanks and good luck to all..prayers

Please help. What are R programs????

A programs= advanced
C = categorical
R =????????

Thanks!

what are M and P programs in internal medicine?

Please help. What are R programs????

A programs= advanced
C = categorical
R =????????

Thanks!

what are M and P programs in internal medicine?

M programs are just C programs that focus on primary care. No idea why this distinction is so important as it seems to just fuel confusion.

P programs are preliminary years--which, after an insane 2 hr struggle to SOAP/research SOAP, I learned simply means it's a transitional year. There is no binding contract for longer than 1 year. It's just got a focus: so, IM (P) are prelim years with an IM focus.

These are basically transitional years, just not specifically.

R is reserved for physicians with prior experience and who are applying to specialty positions.

R programs are Advanced Positions and require prior training (ie, Prelim or TY). If you are a senior medical student without prior GME experience, you are not eligible for those positions.

what is weird is that i can understand neurology-r is 2nd year or pgy2 neurology for 2013 but what does psych-r mean, pgy2 psych?

anyone please...total number of unfilled spots this year...thanks in advance please..

what is weird is that i can understand neurology-r is 2nd year or pgy2 neurology for 2013 but what does psych-r mean, pgy2 psych?
So you would need to have matched a transitional/prelim year to match those psych R progs.

Psych is just like derm, urology, and other small specialties: you can match into them right out of med school, OR--for those programs designated with R--after having matched to a prelim/transitional year.

anyone please...total number of unfilled spots this year...thanks in advance please..
Uh, just go to the NRMP site and login it shows you all the unmatched spots. You're not supposed to reproduce the contents of that page so if you can login there just go there.

How can I submit a new personal statement if I'm re-applying to a program????

Uh, just go to the NRMP site and login it shows you all the unmatched spots. You're not supposed to reproduce the contents of that page so if you can login there just go there.

If you matched you are unable to see a list of unfilled positions.

i was under the impression that psych is only categorical since u do 6 months of psych in the first year in a categorical program. how can they have advanced psych? so confused.

i was under the impression that psych is only categorical since u do 6 months of psych in the first year in a categorical program. how can they have advanced psych? so confused.

Some psychiatry programs take people switching from other specialties or people with a transitional/prelim year as pgy2s. I believe these people use elective time to make up for the missed core months. Occasionally, I think the positions are also filled by transfers from other psych programs.

Last edited:
So you would need to have matched a transitional/prelim year to match those psych R progs.

Psych is just like derm, urology, and other small specialties: you can match into them right out of med school, OR--for those programs designated with R--after having matched to a prelim/transitional year.

I'm pretty sure R designation means starting PGY-2 year this July, meaning that you would have already had to have completed an internship (or will complete one by July 1, 2013), and not just be matched to a PGY-1 position starting this July.

I'm pretty sure R designation means starting PGY-2 year this July, meaning that you would have already had to have completed an internship (or will complete one by July 1, 2013), and not just be matched to a PGY-1 position starting this July.
RIGHT--as I said, programs with the R designation can only be matched after having matched a prelim/PGY1 year. I did not comment on when the PGY1 year had to take place as I did not know that.

In other words, I don't know if "the R designation means starting PGY-2 year this July" but it makes sense. It seems that designation would be for people who are in their PGY1 year now. So if I match to a PGY-1 year, then next year I would once again use ERAS just like I was a med student and apply for that R-designated program.

The idea was floating around in my head that maybe you could apply to both R- and P-designated programs with the SOAP and somehow get both; however, I didn't want to risk wasting my 30 SOAP slots on that. As you point out, your explanation is logical, so I doubt applying for R-slots works unless you're in PGY1 right now.

Last edited:
Will someone please help me. When I re-applied, I never saw how to submit my new personal statement. I don't even see this question addressed anywhere in the ERAS information area. Would it be ok for me to send it to the programs on my own now?

You would simply write a new personal statement (ERAS lets you have as many as you want, I think), and then attach it to your applications when you apply. You can write a new one any time and upload it into ERAS. If the program has already printed your application, they will have the old PS. Otherwise, it will overwrite the old one.

This assumes the process is the same for SOAP and regular applications, which I expect is the case.

I already submitted the re-application but there was no prompt or anything asking me for my personal statement, so the same personal statement was on the re-application. Can I send via my own email my new personal statement to those programs I re-applied to even though I ALREADY re-applied through ERAS? ie I made a mistake and re-applied with the old personal statement and need to know how I can remedy this.

You send them a new PS via ERAS. I can't see your end of it, so I can't walk you through it. But you go into your MyERAS account, create a new personal statement, attach it to an application/program, and the new PS will be sent to the program via ERAS.

I emailed one of the people in the program, a faculty member who I interviewed with before and she responded saying that she has asked soap team to reach out to me for a prelim spot. I really want to believe it but judging on how they really burned me after giving me extremely "good signs" post interview, I really don't know how to react to it.
Do you guys think that I should do more other than this? I know it's a violation to "reach out" but, honestly there is nothing to lose anymore in my case. I'm just really broken hearted.

Well no contact from any programs yesterday. Hopefully today will be better but feeling worse with each hour.

I don't want to say not matching came out of the blue (I knew my board scores were mediocre though I didn't have any failures) but I didn't expect it after all the interviews (14 interviews out of 25 programs applied to) with only one asking about them during interviews. Only other thing I could figure out would be interviews but its hard to judge in first person and I had interviewed well enough to get into several med schools 4 years ago...

Last edited:
This is so nerve wrecking....

So what's the scoop?

Are SOAPers being contacted this morning?

So what's the scoop?

Are SOAPers being contacted this morning?

Radio silence here, I received one email yesterday with strong positive language but no mention of an interview. Maybe some prelims don't bother with interviews since they only have to put up with us for 1 yr? Who knows...

I still cant believe I didnt match. I have had radio silence too...come on!!!

One call yesterday, nothing as of 10AM. I know it's still early, but this is basically torture.

One call yesterday, nothing as of 10AM. I know it's still early, but this is basically torture.

How was the phone call? Like a basic interview or were they trying to sell their program? Any input would be great.

Same here got radio silence....

Congrats to you, as I had mentioned to Sella Turcica on another thread, this is at least encouraging news.

Also, out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what specialty you're interviewing for?

Best wishes to you and all SOAPers :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am family medicine. AMG, average board scores..but canadian nationality

Getting incredibly discouraged. Wife didn't match into psychiatry yesterday and have yet to receive any calls from programs. She's an AMG who already graduated and just can't seem to catch a break. I feel so terrible for her yet so helpless at the same time. Please call!!

have you guys ever heard of stories of someone who needs a VISA and matching through SOAP?

well...hopefully i'll be the first one.

Stay strong everyone even though it's really discouraging not to hear any news or calls.
I am still crossing my fingers and praying really hard.

Please let us know if someone receive encouraging emails or calls.

What does it mean when it says "not taking part in soap"? Can we apply to those positions after the soap, friday 5pm?

Still in radiosilence...

I'm interviewing for Rads. I graduated from an American Allopathic school last year and am doing research right now, so idk what category I fall into.
Basically it was a bit of both. Tell me about yourself, what are you looking for in a program. I was caught so off guard that well...****. Partly the program is kind of located in the middle of nowhere (not a deterrent at all), so part of it was they wanting to see if I'd be ok there.

I'm interviewing for Rads. I graduated from an American Allopathic school last year and am doing research right now, so idk what category I fall into.
Basically it was a bit of both. Tell me about yourself, what are you looking for in a program. I was caught so off guard that well...****. Partly the program is kind of located in the middle of nowhere (not a deterrent at all), so part of it was they wanting to see if I'd be ok there.

I really hope a radiology position comes thru for you my friend. I am currently looking for a preliminary spot. Havent graduated yet, got 3 more wks, I am an IMG and a Canadian. So not really the hottest thing in the market. In all honesty, preparing for the worst.

Has anyone had any phone calls/interviews from internal medicine programs? Im still waiting in radio silence. Starting to lose hope...

Hi, I didnt match yesterday and neither did my fiance....we couples matched. Somehow we thought the likelihood of matching together would be similar to individual match but it didn't work out that way. Anyways, my question is I reapplied to a program that I interviewed at because I saw they had 3 sports still available. As of now, they have not downloaded my application and I was wondering would it be ok to contact that program to simply ask if there was an issue of why my application was not yet downloaded.....hoping that the coordinator I was in touch with during interview season would take notice of me?

Hi, I didnt match yesterday and neither did my fiance....we couples matched. Somehow we thought the likelihood of matching together would be similar to individual match but it didn't work out that way. Anyways, my question is I reapplied to a program that I interviewed at because I saw they had 3 sports still available. As of now, they have not downloaded my application and I was wondering would it be ok to contact that program to simply ask if there was an issue of why my application was not yet downloaded.....hoping that the coordinator I was in touch with during interview season would take notice of me?

It could be positive but could also go against you. The NRMP policy is not to contact the program. I would wait a bit maybe call later during the day or even tmr morning, cause at that point u have nothing to loose.

I too have some programs which havent downloaded my application, but I have been watching and they are downloading it one by one...

Ps. Still no communication...

Unfortunately you either a) Didn't understand how to maximize your chances at matching in the couples match IR list every possible combination leading to a list many hundreds of positions long. B) Did understand that, but chose to rank fewer permutations to avoid being away from your spouse. Or C) Did either of the above and they chose not to rank you.

My point being, calling a coordinator at this point IS a violation as they are written, I believe. Additionally, I'm not sure it would help very much anyways. I'm sorry it didn't work out, I sincerely hope you guys are able to soap successfully!

I figure I'll get in on this thread even though I started that other one. I'm an AMG from a lower tier school with very good board scores/grades/etc trying to match in a less competitive field. The big problem seems to be the fact that I left my former program.

Last edited:

I asked this earlier but how do you know if they downloaded your application? I tried adts but it only has dean's office.