DAT FInally DOne/ mini breakdown/ questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badart97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, its been a long time coming but here it is. Nothing outrageous like I've seen on this site before but I'm happy with my improvement and score!

First time taking the DAT's I got:

18-PAT
16-QR
16-RC
16-Bio
18-Ochem
19-Chem
TS-17
AA- 17

Second time taking it on 3/26/13

21-PAT
19-QR
19-RC
19-Bio
19-Ochem
21-Chem
TS-19
AA- 19

Things that are a must have:

1) DAT Destroyer / Math Destroyer- Bio section especially

2) 2009 ADA DAT Practice Test - I had around 5 questions very similar to if not the exact same questions from the practice test

3) Chads Chemistry + Organic chemistry videos**

3)DAT QVault- All the science sections are very helpful, especially bio section, a few mistakes in ochem but not a big deal

4)Topscore - Great practice

5) Kaplan / Cliff for general review before starting

So overall I thought I was ready for my first test but turns out I wasn't ready enough. What made the difference was really knowing DAT destroyer and doing ALOT of practice problems. Many times just testing yourself with a question can solidify your understanding in that subject.

My second test had many random questions for all the science questions, not as many for my first test attempt.

Thanks to everyone on these forums, you guys help out so many people!

Background:

I am 25 years old and I left my job in marketing/advertising to pursue dentistry. So I took a year of prerequisite courses like physics, ochem, chem, and bio. My last course was in August of last summer which was ochem. These are the only science courses I have had and I finished with a 3.75 gpa. My undergrad gpa was 3.3 from University at Buffalo with psychology and political science majors.

Questions:

1) I need to take biochemistry, so my plan was to apply this June to schools even ones that require biochemistry and then take it in the fall and have it completed hopefully before dental school would start if I get in. Would this be ok? Since I know a lot of people apply even without physics.

2) I don't think I ever requested to get my DAT scores sent to schools since I wasn't sure what schools I would be applying for at that time. So when I put my grades in the AADSAS website and send my application they are going to automatically send the official score report to my selected schools? OR how do you even get your official scores? (email/ mail?)

3) Even with just those 4-5 science courses and my 19 on the DAT getting into dental schools this year is still a possibility right? I improved in every section and and got a very solid 19. I am applying the first day it lets me, in early June.

ATTACHMENTS:

If anyone is interested I have attached and placed some links to some detailed notes for Biology of kaplan/ cliffs/ my own notes/ random notes I found on these forums that really helped

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1ObB...J7UPSkY4ZRw1kG1wuwkGUKyh51Fh/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2ACmSqXL6sgbHVVTFlwM0EzZG8/edit?usp=sharing

THANK YOU for any responses and information, I really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Biology Notes (KBB).docx
    146 KB · Views: 123
  • overall bio memory (1).docx
    121.2 KB · Views: 125
  • immune system.docx
    27.2 KB · Views: 95
  • BIO_Review_-_Final_Version.doc
    172.5 KB · Views: 121
Congratulations on the big improvement there! To answer your first question, most dental schools let you finish the pre-requisite by the time you enroll, so yes, I think you are fine.

Great improvement. This will definitely proove your hard work and dedication when you apply. Congratulations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Solid improvement. You don't need to have your prereqs done before you apply as long as you finish them before matriculating to dental school. I knew a lot of students that delayed physics and biochem until after they submitted their application to save their GPA.

I'm not sure about your second question, when they ask which schools you want to send your scores to. I always suggest to mark all of them since it's free. I think there may be a fee for each additional score report you need to send? Best to check with the ADA on that.

Great improvement! I have a similar background, I am also 25 and changed from Psychology to dentistry. May I ask, what did you do differnt this time around to improve your scores?
I take my DAT in a few weeks, and am still getting 16 on achiever :(

Achiever helps... but what I did differently was really understanding DAT destroyer and make sure to buy the 2009 ADA practice test. I had more than a few questions straight from that practice test. For reading comprehension I bought crack the dat reading and started doing 1 or 2 sections daily and timing myself regularly. Math destroyer is all you need for that section. I'm sure you'll do fine, just go over achiever and understand what you missed and memorize it. Datqvault fot eh sciences also helped. Good luck!

How did you memorize bio from your notes, did you make cards?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I read through the entire kaplan section of bio every other day trying to memorize and understand that info along with nay notes I wrote in there. I also went through the bio section of dat destroyer and filled out the explanations from the back of the book right next to the question itself. Then I tried memorizing the answer and understanding the wrong questions for each question. The preparation takes a while but once its all set its all about reading, understanding and memorizing. Good luck!

Last edited: