3.7c, 3.75s, 28 MCAT- MD school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HH8911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for reading.

I am looking for feedback on my MD school list.

Colorado resident, female, not URM

MCAT:
9PS/8VR/11BS= 28O. First-timer, not planning to re-take for various reasons.

Grades:
Freshman year: c3.91
Sophomore year: s3.72, c3.83
Junior year: s3.16, c3.0
Senior year (total of five semesters, I was in school longer than four years): s4.0, c4.0
Overall for all of college- s3.70, c3.70
(If calculated on AACOMAS for DO, sGPA= 3.8)

Strong upward trend in grades: "Senior" year (which was really my last two years) included biochem, physics, gen chem II, organic I and II, organic I lab, molecular bio, genetics, physio, advanced microbiology, cell bio, and immunology- I received A's in all those classes.

LOR's:
2 from science professors
1 from bench research supervisor
1 from DO in family practice who I shadowed for several months
1 from my boss of one year, an MD in peds derm, who I do research for/with
1 from pre-med committee at my school

EC's:
-1 year (and planning to be there until I start med school) of peds derm clinical research, on various projects, including creating entire submissions for IRB and clinical shadowing/patient contact. Should be working on a poster presentation by this summer, and my boss really wants us to publish a paper before I start school, so that is in the works as well
- I did a semester bench research internship for academic credit, and an additional semester of volunteer lab work (I scored a great LOR from my research mentor). No pubs or anything like that.
- I also did patient transport two summers ago at a hospital
- 1 1/2 years worth of hospice volunteering
-I have also shadowed two doctors in public health (total ~4 hrs) and a DO in family medicine (~30 hours), and an MD in peds derm (~50 hours)
- 1 year of volunteering as an activities coordinator at a residence for children with cancer and their families :love:
- In addition, I wrote for the school newspaper freshman year, did an ethics service learning project at a no-kill animal shelter (which was basically volunteer work), and did an internship at a wildlife rehabilitation center.
- I also have a solid work history in customer service, restaurants and retail. I worked about 25-30 hours a week for the majority of college.
- Will be starting to volunteer in pediatric hospice 5/2013

Short story: CO resident, not URM, 3.7c, 3.7(AMCAS)/3.8(AACOMAS)s, strong upward trend, 28O MCAT, ~300 hrs direct clinical experience through hospice, volunteering with cancer kids, clinical consenting for research, and patient transport, ~700+ hours of research experience, solid work history through college, 5 LOR's to date.

I feel that I will be quite competitive for DO schools, and will be applying to about 10 of them, including DMU, KCUMB, PCOM, Nova, CCOM, AZCOM, Western, OSU and a few others.

I would love some feedback on my MD list. I have scoured the MSAR, 27-29 MCAT threads on here, plus MDApps and come up with the following schools. I plan to apply to about 25-30, casting my net very broadly (and early!)

Albany
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth MC
Cooper
Creighton
Drexel
E Tennessee
E Virginia
Florida State Univ
Georgetown
Hofstra
Indiana Univ
Jefferson
Joan Edwards Marshall
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
NYMC
Oakland Univ
Oregon HSU
Rosalind Franklin Univ
Rush
St Luis
Temple
Univ Colorado (in-state but a huge long shot I know, because they are a high-MCAT school)
Univ Illinois
Univ Kansas
Univ Minnesota
Univ Oklahoma
Univ Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wright State

What do you think? Are there any that should obviously be cut?

FWIW, I am happy going to a DO school if that is the way it works out for me. The specialties I am considering (peds, peds subspecialties, ob/gyn, psych) seem to be pretty DO friendly. I am just wanting to apply as smartly to MD schools as possible too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of those state schools like Kansas, Tennessee, Indiana should be cut unless you have close ties. Check msar. Your mcat seems kind of low for some.

MCAT:

Grades:
Senior year (total of five semesters, I was in school longer than four years): s4.0, c4.0

Strong upward trend in grades: "Senior" year (which was really my last two years) included biochem, physics, gen chem II, organic I and II, organic I lab, molecular bio, genetics, physio, advanced microbiology, cell bio, and immunology- I received A's in all those classes.

Awesome Job.

LOR's:

EC's:
-1 year (and planning to be there until I start med school) of peds derm clinical research, on various projects, including creating entire submissions for IRB and clinical shadowing/patient contact. Should be working on a poster presentation by this summer, and my boss really wants us to publish a paper before I start school, so that is in the works as well
- I did a semester bench research internship for academic credit, and an additional semester of volunteer lab work (I scored a great LOR from my research mentor). No pubs or anything like that.
-I have also shadowed two doctors in public health (total ~4 hrs) and a DO in family medicine (~30 hours), and an MD in peds derm (~50 hours)
- 1 year of volunteering as an activities coordinator at a residence for children with cancer and their families :love:
- In addition, I wrote for the school newspaper freshman year, did an ethics service learning project at a no-kill animal shelter (which was basically volunteer work), and did an internship at a wildlife rehabilitation center.
- I also have a solid work history in customer service, restaurants and retail. I worked about 25-30 hours a week for the majority of college.

Short story: CO resident, not URM, 3.7c, 3.7(AMCAS)/3.8(AACOMAS)s, strong upward trend, 28O MCAT, ~300 hrs direct clinical experience through hospice, volunteering with cancer kids, clinical consenting for research, and patient transport, ~700+ hours of research experience, solid work history through college, 5 LOR's to date.

I feel that I will be quite competitive for DO schools, and will be applying to about 10 of them, including DMU, KCUMB, PCOM, Nova, CCOM, AZCOM, Western, OSU and a few others.

I would love some feedback on my MD list. I have scoured the MSAR, 27-29 MCAT threads on here, plus MDApps and come up with the following schools. I plan to apply to about 25-30, casting my net very broadly (and early!)

Albany
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth MC
Cooper
Creighton
Drexel
E Tennessee
E Virginia
Florida State Univ
Georgetown
Hofstra
Indiana Univ
Jefferson
Joan Edwards Marshall
Michigan State
NYMC
Oakland Univ
Oregon HSU
Rosalind Franklin Univ
Rush
St Luis
Temple
Univ Colorado (in-state but a huge long shot I know, because they are a high-MCAT school)
Univ Illinois
Univ Kansas
Univ Minnesota
Univ Oklahoma
Univ Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wright State

FWIW, I am happy going to a DO school if that is the way it works out for me. The specialties I am considering (peds, peds subspecialties, ob/gyn, psych) seem to be pretty DO friendly. I am just wanting to apply as smartly to MD schools as possible too.

Yep, DO should be fine. Definately apply to a few as a backup in case you don't get into any MD schools.

Thanks!

Schools to condsider cutting:
-E Tennessee - Very big IS preference unless prior Military experience or strong state ties.
-Indiana, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Marshall, FSU - huge IS preference
-Tennessee - I think they only accept applicantions from state residents or residents of neighboring states (check to make sure), either way they have huge IS preference as well.
-OHSU - highly prefer OOS applicants with 32+ MCAT unless applying MD/MPH.

Many of the schools above are over 90% IS students. You'll need strong state ties or great stats/ECs to get interviews at those places. Focus on private schools with MCAT averages under 33 and publics that are more OOS friendly (>15% OOS students).

Other schools to consider: Toledo, USF-Select, UCF, FIU, Arizona-Tuscon, Arizona-Phoenix, Miami, Loyola, Cincinnati, Tulane, BU, Wake Forest.

This should help: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618

You have a great shot at DO. Honestly, I'd only apply to your favorite 5 or 6 schools and save the application money. You'll probably get interviews at most if not all barring any red flags (PCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, Western, etc...).

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
For top-DO schools be prepared to answer why you applied to so many MD schools as well and whether or not your are really serious about DO or are you just using it as a backup.

Some DO schools could care less, while for others it is very important.

For top-DO schools be prepared to answer why you applied to so many MD schools as well and whether or not your are really serious about DO or are you just using it as a backup.

Some DO schools could care less, while for others it is very important.

You have no obligation to tell them you applied MD or how many schools you applied to. I did state that I applied to both to increase my odds but never gave specific numbers.

I hope you apply to RVU because you are a Colorado resident.

Would DO schools even be able to see that I applied to MD schools and how many? I'm basically casting a broad net to see where will provide me the best medical education I can get, be it MD or DO.

Would DO schools even be able to see that I applied to MD schools and how many? I'm basically casting a broad net to see where will provide me the best medical education I can get, be it MD or DO.

Schools cannot see how many schools you applied to and they also cannot see which schools you applied to.

I have been asked at least one time at each interview about how many schools I applied to but I preferred to give vague answers about apply to several schools in order to have the best opportunity and to find the best fit.

some schools want a list of every medical school you applied to as part of their secondary, and I have read numerous students who were asked about it during interviews.

can't think of which schools directly though.. sorry I know thats not much help but just be prepared

I will, thank you for making me aware of this!

As Alpinism said, save the money on the OHSU app as you're out of state.

Schools to condsider cutting:
-E Tennessee - Very big IS preference unless prior Military experience or strong state ties.
-Indiana, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Marshall, FSU - huge IS preference
-Tennessee - I think they only accept applicantions from state residents or residents of neighboring states (check to make sure), either way they have huge IS preference as well.
-OHSU - highly prefer OOS applicants with 32+ MCAT unless applying MD/MPH.

Many of the schools above are over 90% IS students. You'll need strong state ties or great stats/ECs to get interviews at those places. Focus on private schools with MCAT averages under 33 and publics that are more OOS friendly (>15% OOS students).

Other schools to consider: Toledo, USF-Select, UCF, FIU, Arizona-Tuscon, Arizona-Phoenix, Miami, Loyola, Cincinnati, Tulane, BU, Wake Forest.

This should help: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618

You have a great shot at DO. Honestly, I'd only apply to your favorite 5 or 6 schools and save the application money. You'll probably get interviews at most if not all barring any red flags (PCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, Western, etc...).

Good Luck!

Thanks for pointing me to this spreadsheet, that's helpful!

Good DO list. Very competitive at all. Could consider cutting some to save $$

MD list seems a little heavy on OoS state schools.

MCAT:

Grades:

LOR's:

EC's:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth MC
Cooper
Creighton
Drexel
E Tennessee
E Virginia
Florida State Univ
Georgetown
Hofstra
Indiana Univ
Jefferson
Joan Edwards Marshall
Michigan State
NYMC
Oakland Univ
Oregon HSU
Rosalind Franklin Univ
Rush
St Luis
Temple
Univ Illinois
Univ Kansas
Univ Minnesota
Univ Oklahoma
Univ Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wright State

Thanks!

As a CO resident, you have essentially no chance there at this point (sorry) and OHSU specifically tells you on their website that given your stats they WILL NOT consider you. (Per the Dean, they have not interviewed A SINGLE PERSON outside their mission criteria in the past 10 years.)

With that low of an MCAT, you would really benefit from an outstanding achievement or two (e.g., a pub, an Olympic medal, or a Superbowl ring).

As a CO resident, you have essentially no chance there at this point (sorry) and OHSU specifically tells you on their website that given your stats they WILL NOT consider you. (Per the Dean, they have not interviewed A SINGLE PERSON outside their mission criteria in the past 10 years.)

With that low of an MCAT, you would really benefit from an outstanding achievement or two (e.g., a pub, an Olympic medal, or a Superbowl ring).

I should have a pub here soon, my boss and I are working on a paper right now and she knows I want to publish. While I realize my MCAT is a bit low, I still have hope that I bring other things to the table, especially in regards to overcoming personal challenges to be addressed in secondaries.