♥♥♥ Please Help a First-Time Applicant w/ School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am planning on putting together my application and applying this year for the first time. I was hoping if you wonderful people would be willing to share some insight about some of the factors that I need to consider and help me put together a list.

My stats in a nutshell:

- CANADIAN resident
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT: 518 (97th) with 127 in CARS.
- EC: fairly well rounded: mentorship, clinical, non-clinical, service community, and heavy research (2 pubs (co-author) + many posters, abstracts).

Factors that are important for me:

- I am interested in only the MD Programs.
- Financial constraints: I prefer schools that offer scholarships to non-US residents and avoid schools that ask for the entire tuition upfront.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this. Any help, feedback, tips, insight will be greatly appreciated.

All the best for every single one of you guys,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN,

I am planning on putting together my application and applying this year for the first time. I was hoping if you wonderful people would be willing to share some insight about some of the factors that I need to consider and help me put together a list.

My stats in a nutshell:

- CANADIAN resident
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT: 518 (97th) with 127 in CARS.
- EC: fairly well rounded: mentorship, clinical, non-clinical, service community, and heavy research (2 pubs (co-author) + many posters, abstracts).

Factors that are important for me:

- I am interested in only the MD Programs.
- Financial constraints: I prefer schools that offer scholarships to non-US residents and avoid schools that ask for the entire tuition upfront.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this. Any help, feedback, tips, insight will be greatly appreciated.

All the best for every single one of you guys,
you are pretty good for canadian cutoffs. Why the states?

Reactions: 1 user
you are pretty good for canadian cutoffs. Why the states?

I did interview at a few Canadian schools this year. My plan is to apply to US MD if I get rejected here in Canada.

What I am not sure about is what my chances are in the states as a Canadian. Do I have a shot at top tier schools?

I did interview at a few Canadian schools this year. My plan is to apply to US MD if I get rejected here in Canada.

What I am not sure about is what my chances are in the states as a Canadian. Do I have a shot at top tier schools?
I would say so because your stats are on par and so is your research. I see no reason for you to not apply. Canadians are not treated like the rest of international community because you can get decent loans and a degree from Canada/US from an MD (at either country) can work at any of the two.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say so because your stats are on par and so is your research. I see no reason for you to not apply. Canadians are not treated like the rest of international community because you can get decent loans and a degree from Canada/US from an MD (at either country) can work at any of the two.

Thank you. Would you recommend applying to low tier as well or just mid and top? Planning on applying as early as possible too.

Thank you. Would you recommend applying to low tier as well or just mid and top? Planning on applying as early as possible too.
I applied to many many schools as a Canadian and got 7 interviews and three acceptances. I aimed for any school that takes internationals or Canadians. I would not hedge your bets on top 10 schools only.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to many many schools as a Canadian and got 7 interviews and three acceptances. I aimed for any school that takes internationals or Canadians. I would not hedge your bets on top 10 schools only.

Oh certainly not - I am planning on applying broadly and was wondering if I should include the top schools as well.

Would you be able to comment on my chances, as a Canadian, if I apply early and broadly?

Sure. Chances are really good. Two of my interviews were at top 20 and three more in mid-tier programs. One was at Wayne where Canadians make up 10% of the class (and our tour was conducted by two Canadians!) and one was a new school in Michigan. Michigan is very Canadian friendly.

What sank me at top tiers was my lack of shadowing according to my experience in the interviews (WL at one, rejected at other). This is a big deal since we can't shadow so don't have as strong of a clinical anecdote to back us up. My experience at other places were more positive (and I meshed with students better) maybe due to the relaxed Student attitude.

All in all, it was a successful cycle and I got a 20% merit scholarship from one of my top choices (huge since Canadians don't usually qualify for financial aid). Downside is cost of attendance with low Canadian dollar.

Like you, I had three Canadian interviews (no love from U of T boo) but I had an unsuccessful waitlist position last year and I didn't want to wait for a third time. I am borderline non-trad with a heavy research and teaching background which worked to my advantage at some schools and against me at others. Any more questions I'll be happy to answer via PM or here.

I should mention that since I was waiting on the waitlist I submitted late (mid July) and completed my secondaries between end of August and September (with 30+ secondaries in your inbox, it daunts you!). This is bad. Really bad. Start early because at that time, interview invites are going out. Also, try to stay with a student host (I didn't) esp in New York. It's too hard navigating the city on interview day, at least for me.

Best of luck!

Edit to page @bearintraining for other Canadian perspectives!