$1,000 a pill. Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BMT, If you want to live your life with the motto "Greed Is Good", that says a lot, does it not? Why don't you try to look at the world via the lens that >3/4 of the people on the planet are forced to? I have to believe there is a big Karma style pay back for vulture capitalists like Gilead. This oligarchic, and let us call it for what it is, sociopathic mentality that infests the upper 1% of the world's wealthiest individuals is the biggest negative influence in the world today. I suspect you have a bumper sticker saying "The one who dies with the most toys wins". I can't live my life like that, and don't even pretend to understand people who do. When this enormous bubble economy created by greedy "banksters", as my hero FDR called them, finally implodes in the spectacular fashion that it is destined to, what good will all of the gold your ilk has hoarded do you then? Will we go back to the barter system? The time will come, I hate to say, when those you have so easily dismissed as irrelevant will stop at nothing to sustain themselves. Kindness, humanitarianism and the distribution of say, 25% of the fortunes families like the Waltons have accrued, would go a long way in establishing a world community that would be willing to come together to help each other as each has the means to do so. I fear there is something coming, a terrible and traumatic balancing of the scales. No one can look at the policies during the 8 years of the illegal terms of GWB and say we are not headed to a period in economic history that will make the Great Depression look like an NFL tailgate afternoon. The blatant sociopathy of the ultra rich, their strategy of trashing science and man made climate change, all due to their reliance of petro chemical products to keep amassing their fortunes, have doomed us all to a very bleak future. President Obama, in attempting to be all things to all people, could have done little to change the future, even if he had the vision and fortitude to attempt it. With absolutely no proof to offer, I firmly believe "what goes around, comes around". Perhaps on the next trip, you will be the destitute and desperate American, locked in the endless, grinding, soul destroying cycle of poverty, drugs, violence, incarceration, lack of a nurturing nuclear family, and in reality no accessible opportunities to really "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps". That can only happen when you can afford to buy the boots and laces, which you would gladly see denied them, because as you say, "greed is good". I feel sorry for you. Jost

Blah, Blah, Blah. You know absolutely nothing about me or about my history. I'm willing to bet I give more of a percentage of my income to charities than you do. Instead of you telling us what you think OTHER people should be doing to save the world, why don't you tell us what YOU have done. Why don't YOU develop a lifesaving drug, when you do, I will be the first to commend you for giving it away for free. In fact, I will even donate money to your cause, so you can give you drug away for free. Until then, I will save my kudos for people who actually are doing something good for the world, like Gilead and their new life-saving drug.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
$1000 is not much if it can cure your disease. I would pay my fair share if it can save someone's life out there.

yes, but would you tell the police to arrest anyone else who doesn't chip in....that is the question you answer when government gets involved

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pay my fair share if it can save someone's life out there.

The original question is essentially what constitutes "fair share."

I think the main reason payers are agitated over this whole thing is that you're front loading the cost to one insurance group and the benefits mainly flow to other insurance groups down the line. But since it's one big circle jerk anyway, it should even out.