1/14/10 dat done!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamkchoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FINISHED. finally. check it.

PAT 22 (93.8)
QR 21 (97.6)
RC 23 (96.1)
Bio 24 (99.6)
Gchem 29 (99.9)
Ochem 25 (98.4)
TS 26 (99.9)
AA 24 (99.9)

so im very satisfied with my scores. I feel like this test is totally manageable if you study the right way which is what i am going to tell you how to do.

First off, give yourself a good 2 months to study. When I say 2 months, I mean no going out with friends, no taking a day for break, no SOCIAL LIFE. Deactivate facebook, twitter, EVERYTHING.

Every Saturday, take a practice test in the morning. Do not do little by little, actually sit for 4 hrs and finish it. Correct it and look over why you got those questions wrong. What I did was do an in-depth review on the question I got wrong so that if another question similar to that came up, I knew it. That should probably take all of Saturday.

Princeton Review
-Not too helpful. I don't know if it's because the DAT prep course for Princeton Review was a relatively new program, but there were way too many mistakes in their review-books and the teachers weren't full-time DAT tutors so the material that they covered wasn't really relevant to what was on the test. However, the DAT workbook and practice tests that they gave out were pretty useful. If you can somehow get a hands on those practice problems instead of having to spend $1000+ on the course, that would probably be a better option. I don't know how Kaplan is but I'm sure both are about the same in terms of helpfulness.

PAT
-CDP (10/10)
The questions on CDP are way harder than on the actual DAT and I think that helps a great deal because you're so used to looking at "WTF" type questions on CDP that when you actually take the DAT...it's chill. I don't remember ever getting anything higher than a 20 on all their sample tests. ): Finish all their tests, and you're set for PAT.

QR
-High school Pre-cal textbook
-Destroyer
I don't know how I did so badly on this section considering the fact that I have been an SAT I and SAT II math tutor for like 5 years. The destroyer was whatevers, I only did like 50 of the problems. What did help, however, was the high school textbook that I use to teach my students. So what I did was take notes on each chapter that was relevant to what was on the math section and did like 5 problems on each of them. (3 chapters per day)
1. Be comfortable with Trig
2. Know basic statistics
3. Conversions

RC
-Practice tests (8/10)
I totally lucked out of this section because I did not study at all for it but one of the articles was VERY similar to something I read as a Freshmen in my Gerontology class. This gave me like 10 additional minutes to work on the other problems. Do not buy CRACK DAT READING or whatever they call it. Questions are not similar at all to the actual test and I don't know what they were thinking trying to sell that crap to people. I honestly don't know how you study for this. Just do practice tests on it.

Biology
-DAT destroyer (8/10)
-Barron's AP Biology (15/10) (NOT BARRON'S DAT)
-High school Bio textbook (6/10)
Know ecology well. Know plants well. Know phylums like no tomorrow. All topics wonderfully covered by Barrons.

First, finish Barron's AP Biology COMPLETELY with notes on every chapter. What I did was fold the paper in half hot dog length and write notes front and back on a white piece of paper. (1 chapter per day) Second, finish DAT destroyer. Do not just immediately jump for the answer (which is most likely E) and be like YAY SO EASY. Actually, LOOK at each multiple choice question and the solutions in the back and understand why. (30 questions every other day) Third, ONLY use this if you need clarification on certain subjects that you are not confident in. Please do not read the whole textbook and make notes on them. The book is way too specific to be useful when studying for the DAT. Fourth, do Barron's AP biology review AGAIN. Chapter by chapter. This book seriously deserves a medal because this helped SO much on the test it's not even funny. I couldve sworn some of the practice questions on Barron's was identical to the ones on the DAT. Fifth, go to a nearby bookstore (Borders), bring some ear plugs, get every possible AP bio book (Kaplan, Princeton, Barron's 5 steps to a 5, etc etc) book you can find and do ALL the problems. This is actually pretty time consuming so start early. I would recommend starting this beginning of second month of study every Friday. (This should take all day)

WARNING: DO NOT BUY ANY DAT REVIEW BOOK OF ANY SORT (Yes I mean don't buy Barron's DAT blah blah, Kaplan DAT blah blah, Princeton DAT blanasfasdf) they are are honestly terrible to study out of. Too specific on subjects that are not going to be on the test, ecology and taxonomy in 2 pages? wthell?

Gchem
-Princeton Review AP Chem (10/10)
-Destroyer (5/10)

Princeton Review AP chem i love you. This book just lays it out for you. Do all the questions INCLUDING the free-response for all the chapters. (1 chapter a day) Just this alone you're like set for Gchem but you can do Destroyer just to be on the safe side but I focused so much on Princeton Review AP chem that I rarely did Destroyer.

Ochem
-College notes (10/10)
-Destroyer (7/10)

I only got like 4 mechanism problems on my test which is a bummer because I studied a lot for those memorizing every possible reaction. I would like to make a shoutout to Professor Garg because his notes helped a great deal. Destroyer is good but remember, don't kill yourself understanding why every mechanism works the way it works. It just does okay? Just know beginning point --> endpoint. I apologize I'm not much of a help with this section because I don't think there are any useful books out there that target just Ochem. If I am wrong, someone please share some good books people can use.

TEST TIPS
-1 week before test.
By this time, you shouldn't be learning anything new. At this point, keep doing more problems, any problems you can get your hands on and keep reviewing your notes. Please write good notes. You should be so familiar with your notes to the point that you can recall where to find a specific bio terminology in your notes in a matter of seconds. I also have some Microsoft Docs on some subject areas I had trouble with so let me know if you guys want that.

-Day before test.
This might be a bit silly but I watched the Miami Heat game the night before my test instead of reviewing my notes. I just had to get my mind off studying that night and try to take it easy and relax my nerves. Also, this might sound ridiculous but before you sleep, imagine yourself doing really well on your test as you fall asleep. I read somewhere that this helps with the nerves and your confidence.

-Test day
Wake up 3 hours before. Review all your notes. Just glance at it. Go take the test and OWN IT.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. PEACE.

Members don't see this ad.

those are awesome scores, congrats.

have you had any experience using cliffs for biology? that seems like one of the more popular bio resources recommended on here, maybe more so than barrons. any reason you chose barrons over cliffs?

Congrats man, incredible DAT!

You gave a good breakdown. I'll have to take a look at Princeton ap chem and Barron's ap bio. When you mention phylums, do you mean what falls under what phylum? E.g. Phylum Mollusca has gastropods (snails and slugs), etc. I'll be sure to do a thorough review on ecology and plant A&P as well.

Excellent idea of hitting the bookstore and just doing all the practice problems there.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

yeah that's the AP chem book I used. I haven't had any experience with Cliffnotes so I'm not too sure. You guys should probably stick to Barron's AP Biology though, that helped me out the most. Yeah so for phylums, I pretty much made with all the phylum names and all the names of the class that wen under each of them, whether they were protostome/deutero, acoelomate etc and any notable facts that you might need to know for each class like flame cells, nephridia, open circulatory system, closed circulatory system, direct diffusion, etc etc. Barron's does an amazing job with this so you guys definitely should check it out. I sound like I'm advertising for Barron's but that book is really helpful!

Hey, first of all congrats!! you killed it and I hope I can somewhat do the same.. So my DAT is next week, and I am trying to figure out and get a feel on how I should preform on my real DAT (Next Week). I have taken both achiever and topscore but there is a big range, so I am looking for help! I need to do well (20+) :rolleyes: as this is my second time around. Please be brutally honest!

Topscore:
test 1: test 2:
AA: 19 20
Bio: 20 19
Chem: 20 21
Ochem: 19 23
PA: 21 21
QR: 18 18
RC: 20 21
TS: 20 21

Achiever: :mad::thumbdown:
test 1/ test 2/ test 3/ test 4
AA: 15/15/16/14
Bio: 16/15/15/14
Chem: 17/15/15/14
Ochem: 16/16/18/15
PA: 17/17/17/16
QR: 17/16/17/14
RC: 15/15/15/15
TS: 17/16/16/15

why would you copy and paste from the thread you started? ridiculous. if you're so worried about your test then practice more instead of going on sdn

hey guys,

sorry I just got back from Big Bear so I couldn't respond back. My topscores ranged around ~19 in TS for all three exams. I was VERY depressed when I got my results for the third top score because that was 10 days before testday and I got something like a 19 AA. I cannot stress this enough but DO A GRIP OF PRACTICE PROBLEMS. i mean you can review notes all you want but doing problems will help you retain information in a different way. i did problems like mad during those 10 days and thats when my score improved the fastest.

sorry these notes are everywhere. but I pretty much just made notes on the subject areas I had trouble with. I personally cannot study off other people's notes so I'm not sure if this is going to be much of a help. I would recommend writing your own notes and then combine it with mine or something.

Attachments

• Chapter 1.docx
    19.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Chapter 2 Generalized Cell Biology.docx
    15.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Chapter 3 Biochemistry.docx
    22 KB · Views: 269
  • Chapter 4 Molecular Biology.docx
    15.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Chapter 6 Evolutio1.docx
    26.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 1. bio - biological diversity -- cliffs.docx
    91.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Barron.docx
    23.7 KB · Views: 321
  • ULTIMATE BIO STUDY.docx
    45.9 KB · Views: 415
  • DAT Destroyer Bio Notes.docx
    24.8 KB · Views: 414
the chapter by chapter is from the hyperlearning princeton review bio notes which i found out was the exact same as the MCAT biology princeton review book. the ultimate bio study is from my textbook. the rest are from barrons.

Members don't see this ad :)
the chapter by chapter is from the hyperlearning princeton review bio notes which i found out was the exact same as the MCAT biology princeton review book. the ultimate bio study is from my textbook. the rest are from barrons.

When you say "know your phylum well", do we have to know species represent for each Phylum too?

When you say "know your phylum well", do we have to know species represent for each Phylum too?

Based on his answer to my similar question (to yours), and a review of the Barron's section on classification (and the document he posted), as well as the ADA guide, I would know the phylum's characteristics in general. Knowing this will make it obvious whether a certain species falls under that phylum, and along with that what general characteristics it has. Ex: a crab; if you knew the phylum arthropoda, you would know that crabs fall under this, has a chitinous exoskeleton, has a coelom, protostome, etc.

It's really not a lot of information, the chapter in Barron's is like 10 pages. So I'd make sure to know the 9 phyla it covers pretty well(the species associated with each will come naturally), especially in light of the ADA's vagueness in this area.

Congrats, super great scores you got there!!! I was wondering if you still remember the topics of the passages you got in the RC section. It would be nice you share it with us.

Great scores!! Congrats on ur hard work! Question: did u space out the subjects when u were studying? or did u cram all of the subjects in 1 day and studied the same way everyday except for fridays?

Hey guys,

My passages were on aging, biotechnology, and genetics. I studied bio first and did a chapter a day, I did a chapter of gchem every other day and studied ochem on days I didn't study gchem. So I guess I sorta spread it out but the important thing is you shouldn't be learning anything new after a month. The second month will be redoing the bio section and reviewing your notes and going over Problems

How do you stand 2 months with no social life? I know SDN'ers are usually overachievers and in the minority, but I don't know if I'm gonna be able to study like I see people on here talking about all the time.

Excellent scores, and excellent uploads of ur documents :) I just put everything into one massive word document, and im gonna print it and read the hell out of it. hahaha thanks for this, and congrats on the scores, take it easy now for sure :thumbup:

How do you stand 2 months with no social life? I know SDN'ers are usually overachievers and in the minority, but I don't know if I'm gonna be able to study like I see people on here talking about all the time.

Its called a drive. A drive to do really well on the DAT and get into DS so you become a Dentist ;) If you put your mind to it you can do it (and this is coming from someone really lazy too lol)