1/3 adults have no retirement saving!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81112233/

More than a third of American adults have no retirement savings, and 14% of those ages 65 and older also haven’t put money away yet, according to a new study.

The low savings rate for people at or approaching retirement age is alarming, said Greg McBride, chief financial analyst for Bankrate.com, which conducted the survey. The results were released Monday.

About a quarter — 26% — of those ages 50 to 64 haven't started saving for retirement, the survey said; the figure was 33% of people 30 to 49 years old.

Overall, 36% of those 18 years or older have not started saving for retirement, according to the survey of 1,003 adults.

“They still have time to start, but they still have to save so much as a percentage of their income to make up for the years they weren’t saving that it puts them in a tough spot,” McBride said.

Savers have been hurt in recent years by historically low interest rates caused by the Federal Reserve’s attempts to stimulate the economy after the Great Recession.

Fed policymakers have kept the central bank’s benchmark short-term rate near zero since late 2008 and have bought billions of dollars’ worth of bonds to push down mortgage and other long-term interest rates.

The moves have kept rates on savings accounts and certificates of deposit low, with both paying about 1% or less, according to Bankrate.com.

But stock prices have soared during the last five years, helping increase the value of many 401(k) plans that were hit hard by the financial crisis.

The survey's findings were not all bad, McBride said. It indicated that younger people are starting to save earlier than in past generations.

Twice as many adults who are 30 to 49 years old started saving when they were in their 20s instead of waiting until their 30s, the survey said. Seniors were just as likely to have waited until they were in their 40s to start saving as they were to have started in their 20s, McBride said.

Greater awareness of the financial problems of Social Security is a main reason younger people have started earlier on their retirement plans, he said. Automatic enrollment in 401(k) plans also has helped people to start saving earlier.

“The burden for retirement savings is increasingly upon us as individuals, and people are aware of that,” McBride said.

Still, 69% of those 18 to 29 years old have no retirement savings, according to the survey.

Adults who haven't begun saving should start now, even if it involves putting away just a small amount of money each week, McBride said.

“There’s no better time than the present to start saving for retirement,” he said. “This isn’t money that’s gone. You've just put it aside for your future self instead of spending it on your present self.”

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not surprised. It's only when I come on here that everyone makes 150k+, has friends that make 250k+ with only a bachelors degree and know people who make 100k profit in 1 day.
upload_2014-8-21_3-31-38.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Over 1/3 live on some form of government assistance.

Over 47 million on food stamps. Woozah - sarcasm implied - , why save when your next meal is free for life, and you didn't have to even earn it.

Last edited:
Meh, when it's time for me to retire I'm just gonna take cash that I have saved up and move to South America or Iran.

ROFLMAO... Iran???

Seriously though, you should consider Belize or Switzerland when you do have that big pile of cash. Also, if you're doing quite well ($2,000,000-3,500,000) consider the landlocked nation of Andorra or the Island of Malta. The aforementioned places have extremely progressive pro-retiree expat governments, incredibly low taxes (or no taxes,) and some of them do not have any form of property tax. Liechtenstein is also a good option.

Over 1/3 live on some form of government assistance.

Over 47 million on food stamps. Woozah - sarcasm implied - , why save when your next meal is free for life, and you didn't have to even earn it.

When my sister was in college, one of her professors, in addressing the whole "people buy steaks with food stamps" thing, asked the class how many of them had a Pell Grant or a Federal student loan. Almost everyone raised their hands, and he told them, "You are getting government assistance, and don't tell me that none of you have used your student loan money for beer." And I bet a huge percentage of that 1/3, and the 47% for that matter, are on Social Security.

It's always boggled my mind how few people take advantage of their company's 401(k) or 403(b). I have a friend who is retired military and now works for Lowe's for extra money, and their 401(k) has a 10% match. He doesn't want to do that, which doesn't make sense to me. Even the 1% match I got from my old employer added up faster than you might think.

As for people in their 20s not having retirement savings, I was in college in my late 20s and went away to school with something like $400 in an account from an employer I'd work for for several years beforehand. I cashed it in.

I REALLY wish I'd purchased savings bonds in the late 1990s. Those are paying up to 8% interest.

ROFLMAO... Iran???

Seriously though, you should consider Belize or Switzerland when you do have that big pile of cash. Also, if you're doing quite well ($2,000,000-3,500,000) consider the landlocked nation of Andorra or the Island of Malta. The aforementioned places have extremely progressive pro-retiree expat governments, incredibly low taxes (or no taxes,) and some of them do not have any form of property tax. Liechtenstein is also a good option.

(dons flameproof suit)

I wouldn't want to take advice from someone who abandoned a disabled child.

Reactions: 1 user
When my sister was in college, one of her professors, in addressing the whole "people buy steaks with food stamps" thing, asked the class how many of them had a Pell Grant or a Federal student loan. Almost everyone raised their hands, and he told them, "You are getting government assistance, and don't tell me that none of you have used your student loan money for beer." And I bet a huge percentage of that 1/3, and the 47% for that matter, are on Social Security.

It's always boggled my mind how few people take advantage of their company's 401(k) or 403(b). I have a friend who is retired military and now works for Lowe's for extra money, and their 401(k) has a 10% match. He doesn't want to do that, which doesn't make sense to me. Even the 1% match I got from my old employer added up faster than you might think.

As for people in their 20s not having retirement savings, I was in college in my late 20s and went away to school with something like $400 in an account from an employer I'd work for for several years beforehand. I cashed it in.

I REALLY wish I'd purchased savings bonds in the late 1990s. Those are paying up to 8% interest.

Pell grants are government assistance, but student loans are not... Especially considering the extreme difficulty of discharging them in bankruptcy. It easier to discharge IRS debts.

ROFLMAO... Iran???

Yeah man, Iran is pretty cool. Nice mountains, the currency exchange would make it so that I'd be very comfortable living there. Plus, it's kinda a safe-haven for Shiite Muslims. ISIS is right next door and wants to cause havoc there though.

Pell grants are government assistance, but student loans are not... Especially considering the extreme difficulty of discharging them in bankruptcy. It easier to discharge IRS debts.

In the early 1990s, they were, because the interest was paid by the Federal government until 6 months after graduation.

In the early 1990s, they were, because the interest was paid by the Federal government until 6 months after graduation.

Irrelevant. That's just an interest deferred loan. No different than a 0% interest introductory credit card. The government, the bank in this instance, knows that the gimmick of *paying the interest* will eventually translate into a much higher profit over time by encouraging people to take out a larger loan.

I think loans are still a "government benefit" in that they allow young borrowers the opportunity to borrow high amounts of money with no collateral and at interest rates they likely could not secure on their own. How much of a benefit that is could be argued.

Reactions: 1 users
I am sure we can all agree that the problem with letting poor people spend other people's moneys is that they will spend it wrong. After all, they are poor for a reason.

I am sure we can all agree that the problem with letting poor people spend other people's moneys is that they will spend it wrong. After all, they are poor for a reason.

Sarcasm? Not sure, I really suck at getting sarcasm.

One could argue that student loans, along with quantitative easing, and all the other methods the United States Government employs to prevent a deflationary economy are all just techniques of devaluing the dollar without being quite so out in the open about printing money.

What is the point for most Americans to save up for retirement? They make 10 dollars an hour, and if they save up 100k, they have to use that money first before they are eligible for Medicaid/ or kids can get grants to go to college.

That is the thing with the middle class crunch. You come out a winner if you are on the bottom, or the top. If you are in the middle, you are screwed.

Yeah man, Iran is pretty cool. Nice mountains, the currency exchange would make it so that I'd be very comfortable living there. Plus, it's kinda a safe-haven for Shiite Muslims. ISIS is right next door and wants to cause havoc there though.

Would your all-night partying be approved in Iran, or all you planning to become more sedate when you are old (or just do your partying in private at home?)

Student loans are government assistance, because people are getting something that they otherwise would not have been able to get (one could argue that its crappy government assistance, but it is still government assistance.) The point is, even if someone things that government assistance causes more problems than it solves, they are hypocritical when they say that only "other people" are getting government assistance. Everyone has gotten government assistance in one way or another, so if one wants the government to scale back on assistance, then need to look at all the assistance people are getting from government, not just food stamps, or whatever part they personally don't like.

Reactions: 2 users