1 sentence synopsis of radonc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is radonc a field where radiation technology is utilized to treat cancer? so radonc is an invasive field. please summarize radonc as short as possible, and please correct me if i'm wrong!

also, what type of personality would fit better in radonc vs rads?

Members don't see this ad.

Radiation oncology and Radiology are vastly different fields. One of the the biggest difference right off the bat is patient interaction...lots is oncology, little in radiology. I'm not sure what you mean by 'invasive' but if you mean like surgery, or sticking in catheters, and such, then radiation oncology is not an invasive field. It is invasive in as much as the oncologists plan treatment for patients (with the help of medical physicists). The treatment is usually delivered by radiation techs. In some instances of brachytherapy, the radiation oncologist will assist an interventional radiologist or surgeon in delivering radiation to a certain area. Check www.astro.org to see more about the scope of a radiation oncologist.