1 step forward 2 steps back.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've just been informed that I'm dropped from the physics 1 class I need to take this fall. I applied in the spring so evidently was supposed to take classes in the summer. I didn't. Anyway, now my for my IS, I am pushed back a year to retake this dumb class and physics 2. Uga won't accept it if taken online. There are other schools that will that I wanted to apply to but but I feel dumb not applying to my IS. I'm really overwhelmed and stressed out that this happened. The vet I work for says just apply next year instead of this one for financial reasons but I don't want to not apply elsewhere just because of money. Any insight from you wise vets or students? Idk what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you take them at any community colleges in the area instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you take them at any community colleges in the area instead?
Application deadlines have all passed. It would've been nice for them to have informed me of this several months ago, BEFORE the fall semester application deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Application deadlines have all passed. It would've been nice for them to have informed me of this several months ago, BEFORE the fall semester application deadline.
Even as a non-degree seeking student? I enrolled at a community college like 2 weeks before classes started and it was fine. Sorry, just trying to help and maybe come up with ideas you haven't.

Even as a non-degree seeking student? I enrolled at a community college like 2 weeks before classes started and it was fine. Sorry, just trying to help and maybe come up with ideas you haven't.
Yeah, it's really dumb. I'm so frustrated. I can't logically think about all my options because I'm so upset so you're definitely helping! Thanks.

I'm a little confused. How can you be automatically dropped from a class you were enrolled in?

Regardless, you should be able to crash a class as a non-degree seeking student at another school like lilylilac suggested. I've done it, it's just a slight PITA.

Would UGA accept an online class that has a lab? I believe the University of New England has an online physics component with a lab.

Otherwise, I'd recommend contacting every college or university in the area and asking if there's a way you can take physics in the fall. As a non-degree student, you generally don't have to apply- you just show up and register. Going in person or speaking on the phone (instead of relying on website info) may be more helpful. Some colleges (especially community colleges) have two fall terms and if there's a second one, you should definitely still be able to register.

I also highly recommend pleading your case to everyone you can regarding the class you were dropped from. Contact the professor for the class, your dean, and an academic advisor. Often, exceptions can be made, especially as other students drop closer to when classes start. Do you know why you were dropped?

In my (kind of related) work experience, exceptions get made a lot as long as you know who to talk to and are persistent. Hope it works out for you!

I've worked for several universities and taken courses at community colleges. The application process for community colleges usually just requires you to prove that you're capable of taking college level courses by showing your transcripts, no letters of recommendation required. It can be done pretty quickly if you have official copies handy. If there's an opening in the course you want to take, and you've got your stuff together, they're more likely to be flexible on those application deadlines. I'd recommend seeing an advisor at your local community college - this is what they're paid to do.

And if all else fails, waiting a year for vet school is not the end of the world. At the very least, you'll have extra experience to put in your application.

So I've just been informed that I'm dropped from the physics 1 class I need to take this fall. I applied in the spring so evidently was supposed to take classes in the summer. I didn't. Anyway, now my for my IS, I am pushed back a year to retake this dumb class and physics 2. Uga won't accept it if taken online. There are other schools that will that I wanted to apply to but but I feel dumb not applying to my IS. I'm really overwhelmed and stressed out that this happened. The vet I work for says just apply next year instead of this one for financial reasons but I don't want to not apply elsewhere just because of money. Any insight from you wise vets or students? Idk what to do.

Can you do physics 1 during a winter term and physics 2 in the spring?

Can you do physics 1 during a winter term and physics 2 in the spring?
No I looked into that. The only other thing I could think of was taking physics 1 online thru like mizzou of something- it's self paced. Knock it out in a couple months and then take phys 2 and retake phys 1 during the spring simultaneously so that schools that don't take online courses can use that.
Idk how feasible that is.ugh so frustrating! I can't win.

So I guess I was dropped because I applied in the Spring as a re-admission applicant. I took one class a couple years ago so o didn't have to redo a whole application again. When you apply as a reapplicant, the semester immediately following the one in which you apply, is when you are expected to take classes. I didn't take any summer courses so I got marked as a "no show." They dropped me automatically today, and that's when I found out about all the details of this mess. It's somewhere in the fine print of your acceptance letter so they're basically saying it's my own fault. I don't understand their logic behind all this at all. I talked with my academic advisor in April about taking a fall class and there were many times I could have been alerted of the fact that I needed to either take a summer course or reapply for the fall.
I've spoken to several people about this and they're all saying the same thing. I think after work I'm going to go to the registrar. I've been told I have NO options other than to wait and apply for readmittance into the Spring semester.

Since most schools require you to have everything done by Spring semester, it pushes me back a whole year.
Which wouldn't be a huge deal if it were just a year, but it's been something crazy for the past couple years and I'm tired of waiting one more year year after year. I am just really frustrated. I feel like as soon as I get my ducks in a row, something goes haywire.

I would try and take it at another college as a non degree seeking student like others have said. It's not a super pain most of the time. I've registered before as one like a week before the class started. I made sure my main college accepted it and that it transferred first.

We have found ONE school that's still accepting fall applicants. Because I have my degree, I don't even have to apply like a regular student. It's an hour away, but I don't care. I submitted my "special student" form last week and my transcripts are on their way! Thanks guys for all the help!

Reactions: 6 users
We have found ONE school that's still accepting fall applicants. Because I have my degree, I don't even have to apply like a regular student. It's an hour away, but I don't care. I submitted my "special student" form last week and my transcripts are on their way! Thanks guys for all the help!

I've been hoping you'd have some good news to post here!

Reactions: 1 users
I've been hoping you'd have some good news to post here!
Aw thanks! I'm still not giving up hope for taking it at UGA. I had one of the vet pathology department heads write me a petition letter, but if all else fails, Brenau is a great school and I'll still get to keep my application in the pool this cycle! Thanks guys- just when I think I've got my ducks all in a row, something backfires. It can be so frustrating. I appreciate all the support.:kiss: