Navy 1 year GMO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any opportunities to do a 1 year GMO tour? I'm about to finish residency, I've always wanted to do something operational (either this year, or at the end of my 3 year utilization tour orders), but I really don't want to volunteer for more than one year of skill atrophy. Will they every plug a resident into the remainder of someone else's GMO tour? Alternatively, are there any true one year GMOs still available?

Members don't see this ad.

the only scenario i've seen is a 1 year unaccompanied overseas flight surgeon billet. of course, this was LTC. i'm not sure how many of these types of "opportunities" are out there, but it can't hurt to ask.

--your friendly neighborhood let's split a BDE surgeon slot caveman

Army used to have 1-year GMO tours to Korea. As a MS3, I remember a poor Army gen surg intern at Walter Reed who kept being taunted by our sadistic chief resident with comments about his upcoming year in Korea.

I'm not aware of any in the Navy. Certainly not dive or flight, which have 6 months of training to slog through first. For non-dive and non-flight GMO billets in the Navy, orders may be written for 2 years, but you can apply for GME2+ again as a 1st year GMO, if you can get your CO's endorsement. But you may not get the GMO points on the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Army used to have 1-year GMO tours to Korea. As a MS3, I remember a poor Army gen surg intern at Walter Reed who kept being taunted by our sadistic chief resident with comments about his upcoming year in Korea.

I'm not aware of any in the Navy. Certainly not dive or flight, which have 6 months of training to slog through first. For non-dive and non-flight GMO billets in the Navy, orders may be written for 2 years, but you can apply for GME2+ again as a 1st year GMO, if you can get your CO's endorsement. But you may not get the GMO points on the application.
GMO might not have been the right term, I would already have finished residency. I'm wondering if there is a chance to experience operational medicine during my 4 year military obligation without suffering through a full 2 years of skill atrophy. Sounds like no?

Diego Garcia; although I'm not sure if that's a Flight Surgeon-only billet.

GMO might not have been the right term, I would already have finished residency. I'm wondering if there is a chance to experience operational medicine during my 4 year military obligation without suffering through a full 2 years of skill atrophy. Sounds like no?

CONUS operational billets to include Brigade Surgeon are two year assignments. Like others have mentioned there may be opportunity for OCONUS 1 year assignments (Gitmo, Sinai Peninsula, etc).

Sorry to bump. Does anyone know if a senior SWO billet on a carrier/amphib is 1 or 2 years? I know several Pediatricians who have done one of these billets, including several neonatologists, but I'm not sure if there's an option to do it for just a year.

I know they are going to plug me into a general Peds role first, and that that will take 3 years, but I was hoping to do a real Navy thing prior to finishing my 4 year commitment.

2 year job. Hard to interview for fellowship while in an operational billet. You'd be better off doing it in the other order. MO on a small deck amphib then staff tour. I bet you could make that happen.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, is it possible to extend my obligation for just one year so that I can take a 2 year set of orders at the end of my initial obligation?

Sure, the Navy would be glad to have you stay a single year past your obligation. Minimum MSP contract is 2 years, but you don't have to sign up for MSP to stay past your ADSO.

Ugh, why complete your ADSO just to sign a 2 year MSP? I mean, sure you can do it. But, I don't think doing some kind of "real Navy thing" is really worth it. Honestly, real Navy medicine involves doing NKO training, sitting through team steps, and dealing with the next made up problem that comes down the pike. My advice, do your time and GTFO. Ugh, so glad I'm done with the Navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably hard to go small deck amphib after residency, they don't want the 'DOC' to be equivalent or outrank the XO.

doesn't mean it can't happen but not as easy as going prior to residency.

GITMO, Diego Garcia

The only one I've seen was a greenside billet overseas in Okinawa. A former surgery intern spent one year with the Marines in Oki, got picked up by the JSGMESB then moved back to start her Anesthesiology residency.

Last edited:
What and where is Diego Garcia? What's the practice environment like?
Middle of nowhere Pacific. It's a small atoll. There are not Peds billets there. There is one FP billet. If you want operational and peds, your best bet is to bethe SMO on a big deck amphib. Having been the GMO on a big deck amphib I can say it wouldn't be the worst way to go, but I would hate it. I went into peds to take care of kids. I like that better.

Diego Garcia...

Image living on the moon...done.

Perrot. You should look into GTMO. Pretty good pediatric population lots to do in your off time diving, snorkeling, gym. Also a great time for lots of autonomy and plenty of time to get caught up on board related materials.

Perrot. You should look into GTMO. Pretty good pediatric population lots to do in your off time diving, snorkeling, gym. Also a great time for lots of autonomy and plenty of time to get caught up on board related materials.
I know of multiple pediatricians right of residency that didn't pass their boards while being stationed at GITMO...that being said, it's a pretty good idea for a one year "real military" experience.

USAF also has 1-year remotes in Korea for GMO flight surgeons- either Kunsan or Osan AB. The tiny island of Lages (owned by Portugal) in the middle of the Atlantic offers 15-18 month remote tours for GMO's as well.