1 year masters in medical sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So several schools offer these 1-2 year masters programs, and they all seem to be for people trying to improve their ugrad GPA. However, a lot of these allow you to take actual medical coursework.
In my situation, my GPA isn't terrible (3.75+ at top 30) and am planning on taking a gap year to further add to my research credentials via a 1-yr chemistry masters program at my school (I have already taken most of the grad coursework requirements, so it would be cheap and light course load). But would the 1-yr MS in the medical sciences programs mentioned above help me sort of get ahead for when I do start med school? This should help me solidify my skills in stuff like medical biochem, physiology, pathology, etc.
I understand the biggest con is the price of these programs.
Are there any other better pre-medical-school programs that would better suit my purpose?

Members don't see this ad.

The MS would be gilding the lily. Get a real research job.

So several schools offer these 1-2 year masters programs, and they all seem to be for people trying to improve their ugrad GPA. However, a lot of these allow you to take actual medical coursework.
In my situation, my GPA isn't terrible (3.75+ at top 30) and am planning on taking a gap year to further add to my research credentials via a 1-yr chemistry masters program at my school (I have already taken most of the grad coursework requirements, so it would be cheap and light course load). But would the 1-yr MS in the medical sciences programs mentioned above help me sort of get ahead for when I do start med school? This should help me solidify my skills in stuff like medical biochem, physiology, pathology, etc.
I understand the biggest con is the price of these programs.
Are there any other better pre-medical-school programs that would better suit my purpose?

Reactions: 1 user