1 year MS program? Is there any out there (NOT an SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roger Spumoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am just confused but hopefully someone can help. I'm looking for a degree awarding (MS) 1 year accelerated program...or programs that I can make into 1 year by taking a heavier load of classes. I've done hours of research and keep coming up with SMPs that don't award a degree. I don't want to do an MPH because I probably won't go into preventative medicine and would enjoy myself more if I heavily studied a science subject of interest.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown has a one-year MSc. in Global Health program. Not sure the length of Duke's program, however that might be one year as well.

Maybe I am just confused but hopefully someone can help. I'm looking for a degree awarding (MS) 1 year accelerated program...or programs that I can make into 1 year by taking a heavier load of classes. I've done hours of research and keep coming up with SMPs that don't award a degree. I don't want to do an MPH because I probably won't go into preventative medicine and would enjoy myself more if I heavily studied a science subject of interest.

Thanks guys

If you're not interested in a MPH, you posted this in the wrong forum. Anyways, it sounds like you are trying to do an SMP without doing an SMP. Are you trying to boost your chances of getting into med school? Look at MS programs in biomedical sciences. Quite a few of those are one year programs and award a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not interested in a MPH, you posted this in the wrong forum. Anyways, it sounds like you are trying to do an SMP without doing an SMP. Are you trying to boost your chances of getting into med school? Look at MS programs in biomedical sciences. Quite a few of those are one year programs and award a degree.

Whoops! Sorry I didn't mean to post in the wrong section. I am looking for an MS (a master's degree awarding since you don't get that with an SMP). I am doing it during application year so it won't help my application that much except to tell them I'm getting my masters this coming year and an update with grades later on. I'll try to find some MS biomedical science programs I suppose. Still sort of lost

Whoops! Sorry I didn't mean to post in the wrong section. I am looking for an MS (a master's degree awarding since you don't get that with an SMP). I am doing it during application year so it won't help my application that much except to tell them I'm getting my masters this coming year and an update with grades later on. I'll try to find some MS biomedical science programs I suppose. Still sort of lost

If you're looking for a MS because it's something you're interested in doing, then you might want to just put in the extra year to open up your options. It's difficult to find a 1 year MS due to everything that you have to put into it (thesis, core coursework, possible internship/practicum). That's why the majority of 1 year programs are SMPs. What area of study are you interested in for your masters?

If you're looking for a MS because it's something you're interested in doing, then you might want to just put in the extra year to open up your options. It's difficult to find a 1 year MS due to everything that you have to put into it (thesis, core coursework, possible internship/practicum). That's why the majority of 1 year programs are SMPs. What area of study are you interested in for your masters?

I have found a couple so far but you're right, condensing it into one year limits my option indefinitely. I am looking to do something biology based (seeing as I'm interested in biology AND taking hard science courses will help keep me "sharp" for the year leading up to medical school). This year I'm doing a DIY post-bacc and working on ECs for my application so I wanted to study in an area of my interest during the 1 year application process, I can not afford another year unless I get rejected everywhere. I just want something that I will be able to use in the real world (a degree), while SMP will give certificates I believe that won't help much except for getting into medical school.

Thanks again for your input it is very much appreciated :)

You should look into the MS programs in the UK. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, for instance, is one of the most (if not the most) prestigious schools for international health in the world. Their 1 year masters degrees are among the best in the world in terms of what they teach, how they teach, and reputation. There are tons of threads in this forum of people asking about LSHTM (use SDN's search function and find all the threads of people asking about it).

Reactions: 1 user
You should look into the MS programs in the UK. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, for instance, is one of the most (if not the most) prestigious schools for international health in the world. Their 1 year masters degrees are among the best in the world in terms of what they teach, how they teach, and reputation. There are tons of threads in this forum of people asking about LSHTM (use SDN's search function and find all the threads of people asking about it).

This is a good point and not something I had really thought of mentioning. If you aren't opposed to going outside the US, there might be programs in Europe or Canada that are 1 year. Of course, as Solara mentioned, the LSHTM is excellent for international health and tropical medicine.