Menu Icon Search
Close Search

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

10 Practice MCAT Tests

Discussion in 'Gold Standard PreMed Headquarters' started by mcat prep, 02.18.10.

1. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 7+ Year Member
    You may already be aware that the Gold Standard (GS) practice MCAT tests are full length online exams that have been quite popular and well reviewed on SDN.

Well, we are always working hard to improve all aspects of your practice test experience. We recently upgraded our explanations and added a discussion thread for each of our more than 2000 questions; full explanations plus "Background Information" including direct video links; "Difficulty Icons" based on the Bell Curve and much more . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a brand new Diagnostic section with more detail that any company has ever provided in terms of a complete analysis of your exam performance. And finally, we now have a unique Prescription section to provide you with specific advice, based on your performance, as to how to improve your score. In the next few weeks, your Diagnostic and Prescription sections will be fully integrated with lessons including text, video and additional Q & A.

Packages begin at $150 for 1 year access for 10 full length tests, full explanations, Diagnosis, Prescription and 3 hours of free video.

We have just completed our annual review of our science questions. GS-7 Physical Sciences will continue to be abnormally difficult but the rest of our science sections have been gently molded to reflect the most recent AAMC content. And, as mentioned in another thread (Gold Standard tests) we are currently doing a passage by passage review of our Verbal sections which should be complete by Spring. If we can do better, let us know and we will work on it! It may sound sappy, but it's true - we both have the same objective: your success.
  2. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We have noticed that since we added the free features "Diagnosis" and "Prescription" to the post-exam experience earlier this year, very few students have been using them. If you have done any of the GS tests recently, have you used the feature and if not, why?
  3. sankara

sankara

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I didn't use it because I couldn't find the free MCAT CBT. I searched on your website for about 10 min than I gave up.
  4. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    I'm guessing that you clicked on the FREE MCAT link in the Menu at the top of mcat-prep.com and then registered. Once registered, you login with your username and password and then click on Tests (CBT) in the Menu. Was it the registration part or the part when you had logged in that did not work for you?
  5. sankara

sankara

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    oh I see...the registration was a breeze ... I just did not scroll down to roll my mouse over the appropriate link ....Maybe were it says "the GS MCAT CBT", I would recommend you mention something in the likes of "free MCAT trial here" or something ....but then again, maybe it was just me.

Thank you
  6. MLT2MT2DO

MLT2MT2DO

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I've got a question...

If I take a test and close out of it, is there anyway I can go back and review the questions I missed?

I get my prescription/diagnosis but I can't look at the actual questions I missed/answers
  7. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    At any time, you can login, click on History in the Menu and you will see the exam date/time for all attempts and you can click on any date to open a particular exam attempt with answers and explanations including direct video links for background information.

Once you have completed your test experience, please let us know what you think of the explanations/diagnosis and prescription!
  8. lDanny

lDanny Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    the diagnosis is ok but it doesn't link you to the actual problem that you missed, and the explanation doesn't group/label them.
  9. msruly12

msruly12

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I feel that the tests do not adequately correlate to the actual mcat style.
    Gold standard is too mathy and its harder.
    But most of the tests are good to study on because if you can do these well you can do the real one well too
  10. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    In general, referring to the "difficulty" issue, it is true that students report performing about 2 points better on the real MCAT than on the GS tests. It is also true that a few of the 10 FL tests are a bit "mathy" but we have been phasing that out and it does not apply to all the exams. But in terms of style and format, we believe the GS practice tests very much help students get ready for the real thing.

Good point. Our programmers are working on it as we speak.
  11. Benzion

Benzion The Drumming Doctor

Pre-Medical
    Not bad....!
  12. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
  13. BearDownAZ

BearDownAZ

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I bought the 10 GS CBTests. I find that they are fairly helpful. However, after just taking 6 of them, I already noticed that there is overlap of questions/problems from previous ones. Basically the exact same question asked, with just different numbers/units. Makes me feel like I paid for 9 tests worth of stuff instead of 10.

The prescription isn't very helpful. It basically says is "To improve your score get all the easy ones, try to get nearly all of the medium questions, and to really do well get all the hard questions". Yes, the prescription basically tells you need to get more problems right to get a better score.
  14. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Between our 10 MCAT CBTs and our chapter review problems, we have thousands of problems online. We think that there might be 30 or so repeated questions but we have had difficulty identifying them. We actually have a programmer working on an automated way to identify them so we can weed them out (if you do notice anything flagrant, please pm me!!).

However, some question types are found so frequently on the real MCAT (i.e. strings/pipes, a simple pH calculation, P=IV/V=IR, etc) that we feel obligated to hammer that concept home. You will find GS-7 very different (and possibly a bit painful!) and then GS-8 to GS-10 should also feel unique.

No doubt that the Prescription is version 1.0! We are listening to what students want and we are designing a program to create a personal study schedule based on test results. For now, the advice is general but we are hoping that it will help students to identify an easy or difficult question during the exam so your mindset would be adjusted accordingly (i.e. how much time to spend on the question, testproofing the answer before moving on, vs. marking the question to review later, etc.).

What do you think of the Explanations and the discussion threads?

Thanks for your comments.
  15. Agent47

Agent47

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm taking my MCAT on June 17th...I was wondering which GS is the best one out all 10!! Which one should I buy? I'm looking into buying couple of them before my exam!

Thanks
  16. Agent47

Agent47

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    What do you mean by this? Are these good practices 2 weeks before MCAT? or Should I buy GS 4 and 5??? I'm planning to Buy 2 Please reply Thanks!
  17. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Many students have found GS-7 to be unreasonably difficult. It is only a helpful learning tool when you are doing all 10.

If you are choosing 2, really you can choose randomly or consider doing GS-5 and GS-10. Don't forget to spend at least 1/2 of a day reviewing all your answers and the Explanations including videos in topics you may have struggled with. When you get your scores back from the real MCAT, let us know how it went!
  18. BearDownAZ

BearDownAZ

SDN 2+ Year Member

I greatly enjoy the discussion threads. Other people can weigh in and provide links to have a better understanding of the concept. Plus, if I disagree with the answer listed, I can have a better chance of understanding why I was wrong, or if someone else also believes the question was badly worded/two possible correct answers.
  19. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We monitor the forum everyday. We hope that student interaction will be positive and generate discussion about the question or explanation, but if we see that a discussion is not evolving and a student is not getting a clear answer then we try to post a specific response within 24 hours (except on weekends!).
  20. BearDownAZ

BearDownAZ

SDN 2+ Year Member
    While I cannot speak to the chapter review problems, I have taken the "Gold Standard FL Tests".

I'm sorry, but there are blatant repeats within the ten Gold Standard Tests. With people paying $25 a test, I don't think that it is that difficult to remove the obvious duplicates between ten tests. It is understandable that some concepts should be stressed several times, but it is quite shameful to not even change the wording or the phrasing of the question.

For example, on GS-3 PS and GS-9 PS, there is a duplicate passage on pH indicators. The ENTIRE PASSAGE and EVERY ONE of the subsequent questions are THE EXACT SAME. This is not an isolated incident, there are many repeats of the exact same question between the ten GS tests.

At least test prep companies like Princeton Review and Kaplan give do not have such obvious copy/paste jobs.
  21. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    I don't think that I have underlined the difficulty of what we are managing.

We have created more than 3000 multiple choice questions. We are admitting that 1% may be repeated because of transferring issues related to basic human error. We do not intentionally say that we want to repeat 30 questions or so - even if that means that out of the hundreds of passages, 1 is repeated. We don't want it, we are working on a program to automatically find those 30 or so questions. We would be equally happy if those questions would be reported to us so that we can make the proper changes.

And, by the way, in terms of "similar" questions: if you examine all 8 AAMC released tests (3-10), you will notice some questions (i.e. the pH of a certain concentration of a strong acid; strings/pipes, P=IV - V=IR) repeat with minor changes (i.e. different acids or different concentrations in the case of their classic pH question). It is the nature of the exam. In a few question types, we have chosen to act in a similar manner to be sure we reflect the emphasis that the AAMC has in their tests.
  22. Silverfalcon

Silverfalcon Do It

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am planning to purchase 10 GS tests, so that's why I'm commenting... Now that I said that, do you think it will be possible for GS to upload a pdf file to substitute for that section (pH indicators) that the other user mentioned? If you have 3,000 questions, I imagine that adding another passage on pdf file (so you don't need to go through the technical changes) won't be a big deal. Would this be possible?

The only reason I'm saying that is not just for students, but for GS as well. Wouldn't you want to have students come to their friends and say, "GS tests are all different and they are all realistic"? It can even be just change in numbers if you guys are too busy. I've seen that in other prep companies for other standardized tests (almost identical questions with different numbers). Just a thought - and you can obviously change the repeated section when the technical issue is resolved in the future.
  23. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    The passage that was repeated in GS-9 will certainly be removed this week.
  24. Silverfalcon

Silverfalcon Do It

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Awesome. :)

Can anyone confirm/verify if this is indeed true? A student, preferably.
  25. SNS

SNS

Pre-Medical
    hello, i'm taking the mcat in july. i might be buying some GS practice exams depending on how quickly i can access them. how long does it take to have access to them from the point of payment/registration?
  26. sizillyd

sizillyd MDonnie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I bought them a while ago. You gain immediate access to them once you send payment. Gold Standard will email you with your user ID and password and you will be able to begin!
  27. SNS

SNS

Pre-Medical
    thank you.
  28. duke2121

duke2121

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I created an account...and all I want is the free practice test 1. However, when I click "Practice test 1 FREE" it leads me to another screen where I press "NO THANKS, Just Practice Test 1". For some reason it leads me right to the "sign in page". Is there anyway I can just get Test 1 for free? Thanks
  29. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    In order to get access to GS-1 (the free full length practice test), you must sign in and that is why you are guided to the sign in page. You don't give any credit card information. You just give your name, uni and email address and that is how you get your access information. Good luck.
  30. duke2121

duke2121

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I signed in...and when I click ""No thanks, just give me access to the free practice mcat now" it takes me right to the "sign up" page.
  31. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    I don't understand what you mean.

If you have signed in, then you just click on Tests in the top Menu and then scroll down and you will see your free practice test GS-1.

You only need to sign up once.
  32. duke2121

duke2121

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I got it, thanks...sorry if I confused you
  33. aln012

aln012

Pre-Medical

I noticed this problem as well. It was very concerning to me that I keep seeing the same questions across FLs with just some numbers changed. For the ochem part, I saw the same passage format repeated over 3 FLs, with just the question stem changing slightly. If you want to improve your reputation as an MCAT prep testing company, I suggest that the test makers come up with more creative passages and questions in EVERY test. I know it's difficult, but to be competitive with the other companies, you need to take that into serious consideration. I, however, enjoy the recently revised verbal sections.

And, also, the passages in the PS and BS sections tend to be not integral to making the correct answer, which is not representative of the actual test.
  34. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We have over 1500 multiple choice questions (actually, over 2000 but 1500 are in the FL's section) and it has been extremely difficult for us to identify the repeats (despite the fact that we have individual discussion threads for all 2000 questions). Easily 95% are fully original but once there are a dozen or 2 dozen repeats for students completing all the exams, we understand that it can cause some frustration.

Now that the VR updates are done, we will make every effort to revise BS and PS this Fall.
  35. JoAyi

JoAyi

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello,

Curious about the $79/month program.
    What is the extra testing and review for verbal in this online program?
    Can I still access to the 6 FL tests in this program after the membership is expired?
    What is the minimum length for membership?

Thanks for answering.
  36. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    The verbal program reviews the different question types with examples and strategies and then there are 10 verbal tests with graduated difficulty (from easy to difficult). All 10 VR tests are different from our VR in our 10 FL's.

No, this is the same for all company's FL's including the AAMC.

One month.

Good luck!
  37. vin5cent0

vin5cent0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    $15/test.. not bad. Anyone think this is worth it if I take the MCAT Aug 18 and still have 4 AAMC FL left?
  38. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had 10 exams from last year.

If I reactivate, I will have new revamped verbal on it rite?
  39. roxy799

roxy799

Pre-Medical
    if my membership expires on August 5th, does that mean August 4th 11:59 AM, or August 5th at 11:59 AM. Also, will I have access to the history section to review what I have already done, or will i be prevented from logging in altogether?
  40. SeminoleVesicle

SeminoleVesicle MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    These tests are legit. Brought my PS up from 8 to 12 and BS from 7 to 10 using these tests. Highly recommended for the sciences, not so much for the verbal.
  41. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Yes, you will have access to the revised VR. You can reactivate by clicking on Account when logged in then scroll down to see Extensions/Renewals.

It expires at the same time of day that your access started. If you need an extension, the method is described above.

Thanks for the feedback. A couple of months ago, we revised and replaced our 10 VR subtests to better reflect the new MCAT. We are hoping that now they will be found to be helpful.
  42. jojo10

jojo10

Pre-Medical
    Could you tell me when exactly the revision for BS and PS will be finished? I'm planning to buy all the exams in September. Thanks!
  43. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    The BS revisions should be complete by October and the PS should be complete by November. Unlike the VR revisions where we altered all passages and all questions in the 10 exams, PS and BS will be targeted updates in which we make changes based on the recent experiences of students who have high real exam scores. If you register early, you will have the option to watch a few hours of free teaching videos which most students find is very helpful.
  44. jojo10

jojo10

Pre-Medical
    Even though the teaching videos might be helpful, I'm at the point where I need to practice with passages and exams. So when exactly in November can I buy those GS practice exams with all updates completed? Could you also give the details about the changes in BS and PS sections? (i.e: did they change some free standing questions? or did they changes those "repeat" passages that the previous posts have mentioned?)
  45. liveoak

liveoak

7-10 are super hard. like most prep companies, they just give up at the end.
  46. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We cannot provide a specific date in November nor can we make any related guarantee. We took longer than expected to get all the new VR live and online so we don't want to make any assurances regarding the sciences because sometimes even the best plans encounter unexpected challenges.

Our main objectives are to remove repeats and questions that students found were too similar to other questions.
  47. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know why GS is so underrated because I think they helped me alot dealing with real MCAT that I just took today.

PS had some calculation training that made me confident going into the exam.
    Verbal had similar passages, although some questions in GS were flat out bad, majority ~90% are really helpful.
    BS had some insightful information and some MCAT-esque passages and trickery.

Overall, they are def worth the money.
    Last edited: 09.09.11
  48. vin5cent0

vin5cent0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey, can you give a little detail on what was revised with VR, and what you're changing in BS? I've heard these tests are good, but the VR isn't very close to the actual AAMC tests. Regardless, I'll be picking some up since I'm retaking the MCAT and already did all of the practice AAMCs, but I'm still curious.

THanks
  49. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    VR had a complete overhaul: every passage and every question was changed in all 10 GS practice MCATs. The first new "edition" (a few months ago) had a few questions sneak in that were "seek and find" (very non-MCAT!) and those were stamped out a few weeks ago.

As opposed to our past VR section, most students had consistently found that our BS section has been helpful practice/learning experience for the real MCAT so we have been doing very targeted changes this Fall with the direction guided by student experience from this year.
  50. vin5cent0

vin5cent0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does that mean the BS might be taking on a more analytical approach - interpreting data and making conclusions from tests? That's how the MCAT generally seems to be (to me) now.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal