10 Years Since Undergrad; Career Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkay326

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the same story as several on here. 10 plus years ago, didn't take college seriously. GPA 2.87. Have had a very successful teaching career, but now I feel like I have more to give in life, and I am really excited about the possibility of entering a DPT program. But, before I dive in, I want to know what to expect.

I have a B.S. with a major in Kinesiology and a minor in Biology. From what I see, most DPT programs around me don't accept the Kinesiology classes toward GPA. I hear people say retake classes and get the last 60 hours GPA up.

But, my really ignorant question is, how?

One of the DPT programs that I want to try for requires that I take certain science course for science majors and upper level psychology classes. So, when I apply to the local university here, am I looking at going for a second bachelors degree with a major in science? Does a university let me simply take courses for a science major, along with other upper level classes (i.e. psychology) without pursuing a second degree? I looked at the local community college but they don't have the upper level courses that the DPT program is requiring of me to have. Is there a way for me to do this and get my GPA higher without getting a second bachelors degree? I will if I have to, but that's so much more time!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can take whatever classes you want without having to declare a major or work towards a degree. :) On the application to the local university you will just indicate that you will be "post-bacc." It is always a good idea to contact the schools advising or admissions department if you have any questions or unsure. Most are very helpful.

So the most economical thing to do is just retake the core PT prerequisite classes (chemistry, physics, biology, psychology, etc.) and make sure you get A's in all of them. If you have not already, research schools on PTCAS.org. You will find out exactly what courses you need to take for each DPT program. Although most programs are similar, some require courses like medical terminology or exercise physiology, so you should consider those also.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 10 years removed from undergrad myself so don't feel alone.

You don't have to pursue a second bachelors degree. Go and talk with an adviser and/or the registrar and let them know what you are doing and what you need. You will be a non degree seeking student. You still might need to take prereqs before they will admit you to certain classes, but you won't have to take other classes you don't need.

Take all you can at the community college,

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a career changer who taught for 10 years too. You're not alone. Like everyone else said you can take upper level classes as non-degree-seeking. Best of luck,

From what I see, most DPT programs around me don't accept the Kinesiology classes toward GPA.

I don't understand this statement, can you clarify what you mean?

I don't understand this statement, can you clarify what you mean?

This is exactly what it says on the University website for the DPT program:

• Have a minimum of 3.0 math/science GPA on all courses coded MATH, BIOL, CHEM, PHYS. (Kinesiology and statistics courses are not included in this calculation.)

You can take whatever classes you want without having to declare a major or work towards a degree. :) On the application to the local university you will just indicate that you will be "post-bacc." It is always a good idea to contact the schools advising or admissions department if you have any questions or unsure. Most are very helpful.

So the most economical thing to do is just retake the core PT prerequisite classes (chemistry, physics, biology, psychology, etc.) and make sure you get A's in all of them. If you have not already, research schools on PTCAS.org. You will find out exactly what courses you need to take for each DPT program. Although most programs are similar, some require courses like medical terminology or exercise physiology, so you should consider those also.

Good luck!

Thank you. I was kinda thinking along that route, but when I looked at the requirements for post-bach some things seemed unclear. Now that I know where to start, I will get in contact with the advisors. I know it will take a lot of work, and I hope to get as close to a 4.0 as I can.

I'm a career changer who taught for 10 years too. You're not alone. Like everyone else said you can take upper level classes as non-degree-seeking. Best of luck,

Thank you! I feel very nervous but excited about a second chance too!

This is exactly what it says on the University website for the DPT program:

• Have a minimum of 3.0 math/science GPA on all courses coded MATH, BIOL, CHEM, PHYS. (Kinesiology and statistics courses are not included in this calculation.)

Ah you were referring to your science GPA. You will also have a program-specific pre-req GPA, and a cumulative GPA (for which the Kinesio classes, as well as everything else you've taken will obviously count). Having a strong pre-req GPA and a good last 60 hours GPA (if applying to a program that looks specifically at the last 60 hours) can definitely help make up for a poor cGPA at some schools. However if your cGPA stays below a 3.0, you will need to seek out the few schools that have a 2.75-2.9 as the minimum requirement, or that have no hard minimum. Finding a school that meets those criteria and looks specifically at the last 60 hours could be tough, but there's probably a couple out there. You may very well be able to bump it up over a 3.0 if you get straight A's in your pre-reqs/post-bacc classes. You will have to do your research to find the schools that admit people of your profile and prefer a more "holistic" admissions approach rather than a numbers-based approach. Being a non-traditional student could definitely help you and give you good experiences to talk about, you'll just have to really do your research on what schools to apply to. Some schools also consider the GRE more heavily than others, but having a great score (I'd shoot for >80th percentile in all categories) always helps. I find calling admissions offices with questions to be very helpful as sometimes all the information you want isn't easily accessible on their website, and the people you call will often give you a lot of valuable insight you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Selecting 7-10 schools to apply to in a highly strategic manner will give you better chances than just blowing your application out to 30 schools at random would.

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible to bring your GPA above 3.0. I am another non traditional student who went back to school in order to apply. I have been able to get A's in almost all my prerequisites except for two A-'s and brought my GPA from a 2.86 to 3.13.

I'm 5.5 years post undergrad, in which I originally graduated with a 2.69. 5.5 years later I've completed a MBA finance program and worked in the industry for awhile . I went on to complete my prereqs and decided to finish up a second undergraduate degree in biology since I was fairly close. My cumulative gpa is still only a 3.2 but I brought a near 3.95 prereq and a 3.7 graduate GPA to the table. You don't need to complete a graduate degree but ace your prereqs and do well on your GRE (310 min).

I'm 5.5 years post undergrad, in which I originally graduated with a 2.69. 5.5 years later I've completed a MBA finance program and worked in the industry for awhile . I went on to complete my prereqs and decided to finish up a second undergraduate degree in biology since I was fairly close. My cumulative gpa is still only a 3.2 but I brought a near 3.95 prereq and a 3.7 graduate GPA to the table. You don't need to complete a graduate degree but ace your prereqs and do well on your GRE (310 min).

2.69 to 3.2 is actually quite a substantial increase when you are talking about that many credits. That must have been at least 250 credits going into that final cGPA calculation, no?

Geez @DPTcoasral is going to have 4 degrees by the time he finishes PT school...

You are going to be the most educated $35/hr employee in the history of this earth :roflcopter:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you. I was 10 years out of my undergrad degree as well with a 2.7 when I went back to community college to do my science prereqs. Definitely take the prereqs in community college for budget purposes and definitely make sure you do your best in them. For the upper level courses some schools allow you to take them under adult-ed program designations even if its for just one upper level class as long as you have the prerequisites. Definitely get your last 45-60 credits gpa up with those prereq classes and you have a shot.

I was able to get into a DPT program raising my cumulative gpa to a 3.003 and my prereq gpa was around 3.5- 3.6. Just also do well on your GREs and be strategic in what programs you apply to. If you can apply to programs that start in the spring, less applicants. Apply to those programs that put more emphasis on prereq gpa or last 45-60 cumulative gpa. A lot of those programs don't use PTCAS either.
Good Luck!

True, good point. The vast majority of schools use PTCAS, but there are about 40 or 50 that don't. Unfortunately you just have to start going down the list and looking at each school's website, but their may be some hidden gems in that list. Probably smaller number of applicants at some of these schools as well.

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/allprograms.aspx?listorder=nonptcas&navID=10737426794

True and all that really matters in the school is that they're accredited and by the time you graduate you're able to sit for the licensure exam. Besides cost of attending, you can go to the top school or the worst school... you're taking the same exam that year as anyone else. What you learn attending and your preparation for that exam is on you.

I applied in the 2013-14 cycle and 2014-15 cycle and I did notice that some of the schools that did have lower minimum gpas raised them to 3.0 and above because of all the applicants applying. 3.0 is by far no guarantee to get in anymore.

I'm also a nontrad, and I definitely recommend taking your prereqs or any other classes you can at a community college rather than university. Community colleges offer all of the prereq courses for science majors that you need (chem, physics, a&p, etc). You'll save a ton of money and the whole process is a lot simpler. That's what I did, and I had no problems with the application process.

I also have noticed that when most PT programs say "upper level psych courses," they're usually talking about either Abnormal Psych or Developmental Psych, both of which can be taken at a community college. The only course that some programs require that is actually upper level and only available at 4-yr universities is Exercise Physiology. I tried at a few universities, but could never get into this course because they were so impacted, so I couldn't apply to any programs that required it (and most programs don't require it).

I also have noticed that when most PT programs say "upper level psych courses," they're usually talking about either Abnormal Psych or Developmental Psych, both of which can be taken at a community college.

Was the abnormal or developmental psyche you took at CC numbered >300 (on your transcript)?

Was the abnormal or developmental psyche you took at CC numbered >300 (on your transcript)?
No, they were 100 level courses. I think the programs really meant that the courses came after General Psych 101 (they were not introductory level) when they wrote "upper level." Of course, everyone should always check with PT programs before taking a prerequisite to make sure it will be accepted (which I did before I took those courses).

No, they were 100 level courses. I think the programs really meant that the courses came after General Psych 101 (they were not introductory level) when they wrote "upper level." Of course, everyone should always check with PT programs before taking a prerequisite to make sure it will be accepted (which I did before I took those courses).

Definitely, I would check with each school if I was going to go that route. Some may required a course that is actually numbered in the upper division and some may not.

Geez @DPTcoasral is going to have 4 degrees by the time he finishes PT school...

You are going to be the most educated $35/hr employee in the history of this earth :roflcopter:

tell me about it. I'm going to be on that hustle though for a few years for sure!

I have the same story as several on here. 10 plus years ago, didn't take college seriously. GPA 2.87. Have had a very successful teaching career, but now I feel like I have more to give in life, and I am really excited about the possibility of entering a DPT program. But, before I dive in, I want to know what to expect.

I have a B.S. with a major in Kinesiology and a minor in Biology. From what I see, most DPT programs around me don't accept the Kinesiology classes toward GPA. I hear people say retake classes and get the last 60 hours GPA up.

But, my really ignorant question is, how?

One of the DPT programs that I want to try for requires that I take certain science course for science majors and upper level psychology classes. So, when I apply to the local university here, am I looking at going for a second bachelors degree with a major in science? Does a university let me simply take courses for a science major, along with other upper level classes (i.e. psychology) without pursuing a second degree? I looked at the local community college but they don't have the upper level courses that the DPT program is requiring of me to have. Is there a way for me to do this and get my GPA higher without getting a second bachelors degree? I will if I have to, but that's so much more time!

Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm also a non traditional student. In addition to what everyone else has said, you also need to look at the average age of accepted students. Some programs do not like older students. I spoke with Wheeling Jesuit University's PT director two years ago and was flat out told that they do not like accepting older students. Keep that in mind. Also PTCAS has a listing of every non participating program out there. Check that out so you will save yourself a ton of time.

I'm also a non traditional student. In addition to what everyone else has said, you also need to look at the average age of accepted students. Some programs do not like older students. I spoke with Wheeling Jesuit University's PT director two years ago and was flat out told that they do not like accepting older students. Keep that in mind. Also PTCAS has a listing of every non participating program out there. Check that out so you will save yourself a ton of time.

I've heard this as well. I visited one college where they seemed put off by my age, and told me they usually like people straight out of undergrad. That was a couple of years ago, so I'm even older now! However, I have also heard that some places like older students, so there is that.

Like tweaze said, that goes both ways. I talked to several people who seemed to like older students even better than traditional ones so if one school is a jerk about us old folks another likes us better than the kids so it evens out. :)

At my interview to the school that I was accepted to for early decision both professors in the interview were nontraditional students when they went to school as well.

I was in the same boat as you. I was 10 years out of my undergrad degree as well with a 2.7 when I went back to community college to do my science prereqs. Definitely take the prereqs in community college for budget purposes and definitely make sure you do your best in them. For the upper level courses some schools allow you to take them under adult-ed program designations even if its for just one upper level class as long as you have the prerequisites. Definitely get your last 45-60 credits gpa up with those prereq classes and you have a shot.

I was able to get into a DPT program raising my cumulative gpa to a 3.003 and my prereq gpa was around 3.5- 3.6. Just also do well on your GREs and be strategic in what programs you apply to. If you can apply to programs that start in the spring, less applicants. Apply to those programs that put more emphasis on prereq gpa or last 45-60 cumulative gpa. A lot of those programs don't use PTCAS either.
Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Hi Jaypac523,
If you don't mind me asking, what DPT program did you get into? My circumstances and stats are similar to yours.