14 unmatched spots in EM this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotsoup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the regional report on the NRMP website. And the vast majority of them are in the Northeast. I thought EM was much more competitive, and I thought the NE was one of the most competitive areas in which to match. Very surprising! Makes me feel like I should have applied to more "reaches."

This is great news for anyone Soaping and great news for anyone for next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still shocked when I saw this... hopefully someone can post where they were soon. I thought we were still able to see where the spots were but when I clicked to see it said I'm not eligible to participate in the SOAP (which is a good thing, yay!) and wouldn't let me look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprising. Congrats to those that matched and hopefully soon to scramble or SOAP or whatever it is now.

People in SOAP are not allowed to post (as far as I know)

This number came from the aggregate data available to download in PDF from the NRMP website under "my reports", I think you will need to be logged in.

It's a NRMP rule to not tell until SOAP is over.

Someone on the trail told me months ago that a new program(s) was/were only participating in SOAP this year. Don't know the validity of this....

Well Im happy with my match, but hopefully someone spilles the frijoles after the SOAP then. Because the curiosity is killing me. Especially since its the northeast, my stomping grounds.

Yeah, you're not "supposed to" post anything about it til after the SOAP but I feel like the last couple of years I've seen people post it on Monday each time. There is an element of anonymity here and I doubt that anyone would be able to find out so like Doc Espana said, I hope the frijoles are all over the place soon... curiosity is killing me too!

The only newly accredited program (per ACGME website) in the NE is NYMC @ St. Joseph's Regional MC in NJ, which previously was only AOA with 6 residents per year. I wonder if that was the one only participating in the SOAP, but I'd highly doubt that they'd account for all 12 spots.

The only newly accredited program (per ACGME website) in the NE is NYMC @ St. Joseph's Regional MC in NJ, which previously was only AOA with 6 residents per year. I wonder if that was the one only participating in the SOAP, but I'd highly doubt that they'd account for all 12 spots.

To be fair, I rotated at SJRMC. Its the 3rd biggest ER (by visits) in the US last time I checked. That was over a year ago, so others might have overtaken it. They doubled the size of their ED 1.5 years ago and its something like 90 (which i dont think counts the peds beds, but does count the 4 psych beds and drunk tank) beds now. AND they have a lower acuity ED in their sister hospital (St Joe's Wayne) which has no residents because they cant afford to cover there. Their residents cover somewhere just under 50% of their own ED using all 3 years and 0% of the sister facility. I doubt they actually do represent the all the 12 open spots... but they could represent them all potentially and I wouldnt be shocked in the least.

I recommend anyone with inside knowledge keep quiet until after the match. IPs can be traced and is that something you really want to deal with?

I recommend anyone with inside knowledge keep quiet until after the match. IPs can be traced and is that something you really want to deal with?

They cannot be traced without a court order/warrant forcing your internet provider to give up your identify. Which isn't going to happen without a big lawsuit.

But yes people should be quiet.

So do it from Starbucks. Seriously though, I doubt anyone is going to post that info until the SOAP is over anyway, and I'm certainly not suggesting that they do beforehand. That said, the suggestion that someone will "have their IP traced" is ludicrous.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do it from Starbucks. Seriously though, I doubt anyone is going to post that info until the SOAP is over anyway, and I'm certainly not suggesting that they do beforehand. That said, the suggestion that someone will "have their IP traced" is ludicrous.

Why even trace an IP? NRMP can just ask SDN for the email address associated with the account.

Why even trace an IP? NRMP can just ask SDN for the email address associated with the account.
I thought the entire process was fairly obvious. Here:

Step 1: Go to a library or public wifi hotspot.
Step 2: Create new account on SDN with bogus info.
Step 3: Post whatever the hell you want.

Yes, it could be done from a wifi hotspot but I don't think it's that ludicrous to think the NRMP would go after someone for posting something that is breaking their regulations.

It's not even called "scramble" anymore?? Man I'm old. What's SOAP?
The people who didn't match are stripped of all clothing and beaten with a sack of soap until the bag breaks, at which point the bar of soap (shaped like little states) with the most blood is chosen and that person is said to have "gotten soaped" to that open slot. Really kind of a strange way to go about it, but fits in with the rest of the match process.

Reactions: 8 users
The people who didn't match are stripped of all clothing and beaten with a sack of soap until the bag breaks, at which point the bar of soap (shaped like little states) with the most blood is chosen and that person is said to have "gotten soaped" to that open slot. Really kind of a strange way to go about it, but fits in with the rest of the match process.
That's why I've renamed it the Medical Hunger Games. May the odds be forever in your favor!

My guess is this is what happened last year with Hackensack. Program gets approval too late into the interview season or after ROL certification so just gives spots to the SOAP to fill the first year. Last yr there were 3 spots open but that was not true because 2 were Saudi Arabian spots not open to the regular applicants and the last was a Hackensack spot not filled with pre-match because they got approval just before or after ROL. I wouldn't count on this being the "norm" and I'm pretty sure this is going to be the same this year.

My guess is this is what happened last year with Hackensack. Program gets approval too late into the interview season or after ROL certification so just gives spots to the SOAP to fill the first year. Last yr there were 3 spots open but that was not true because 2 were Saudi Arabian spots not open to the regular applicants and the last was a Hackensack spot not filled with pre-match because they got approval just before or after ROL. I wouldn't count on this being the "norm" and I'm pretty sure this is going to be the same this year.

I know the programs! I feel like a wizard

Reactions: 1 users

So I actually know 2 of the programs and I'm not surprised they didn't fill I interviewed at one of them ranked it dead last was debating not putting it down at all thinking about how miserable I'd be if I matched there but decided it's better than soaping. I guess well see on Friday where all the spots were but 4 or 5 of them are at already established programs that for whatever reason didn't fill.

So I actually know 2 of the programs and I'm not surprised they didn't fill I interviewed at one of them ranked it dead last was debating not putting it down at all thinking about how miserable I'd be if I matched there but decided it's better than soaping. I guess well see on Friday where all the spots were but 4 or 5 of them are at already established programs that for whatever reason didn't fill.

Come friday, please do tell what the programs are. The curiousity is killing me (especially if their NYC programs)

I'm confused, why are spots reserved for them? First time hearing this.

I'm confused, why are spots reserved for them? First time hearing this.

Saudi Arabia doesn't have any EM residencies and there is a need for emergency physicians, so they've paid for a few positions to be set aside for them. On one of my interviews, the PD spoke about how they initially did this as a way to expand the program since the health system couldn't fund the positions. However, he said that they did not give any special preference to Saudi docs in that the program would not take just any Saudi physician (i.e. they'd let a spot stay open if there weren't any candidates that met their standards). That residency finally got internal funding for the positions and they no longer have spots set aside for only Saudi doctors.

Saudi Arabia doesn't have any EM residencies and there is a need for emergency physicians, so they've paid for a few positions to be set aside for them. On one of my interviews, the PD spoke about how they initially did this as a way to expand the program since the health system couldn't fund the positions. However, he said that they did not give any special preference to Saudi docs in that the program would not take just any Saudi physician (i.e. they'd let a spot stay open if there weren't any candidates that met their standards). That residency finally got internal funding for the positions and they no longer have spots set aside for only Saudi doctors.
I rotated at george wash uni and they had spots set aside for saudi arabians. Cant remember the exact amount but the saudi government pays like $500K a year or something like that for the spot. Of course they have to return to their country.

I'm also pretty interested. Was relieved to find out my program wasn't one. The match gods can be cruel and irrational.

Can all applicants see what programs went unfilled/SOAPed after match day or is it only the SOAP-eligible applicants?

Can all applicants see what programs went unfilled/SOAPed after match day or is it only the SOAP-eligible applicants?

Neither. Its only actively SOAPing applicants. You might have meant that, but technically soap-eligible applicant is a status different from "active applicant", so your question gave two choices of people who wouldnt see the SOAP list for different reasons (as they need to be soap-eligible and unmatched)

Where were the unmatched spots? Can people say now?

I'm a little concerned about these 14 unfilled spots and what I'm reading. There should never be a spot left open for anyone because of the "all in" policy with the NRMP. All available slots should be should be attempted to be filled through the match first and then if something is unfilled you go through the SOAP process. If this is indeed true, I hope someone has notified the NRMP of this violation.

Where were the NYC unmatched spots?

I'm a little concerned about these 14 unfilled spots and what I'm reading. There should never be a spot left open for anyone because of the "all in" policy with the NRMP. All available slots should be should be attempted to be filled through the match first and then if something is unfilled you go through the SOAP process. If this is indeed true, I hope someone has notified the NRMP of this violation.
The international slots are different than the NRMP slots.
Last year was the first year that the international spots had to be listed officially. It has to do with separate funding.

Ok, with that said... umm... where were the other 13 please????

027.jpg

There are most likely at a bar with all of their classmates

Match summary released today showed six total unfilled programs. Five of those should be Northeast.

Not sure about the whole lists as I didn't see it...but I was told Detroit Receiving, Maryland, GW, Brooklyn Hospital and Rutgers

Not sure about the whole lists as I didn't see it...but I was told Detroit Receiving, Maryland, GW, Brooklyn Hospital and Rutgers
The UMD slot was an accounting error. The admin had initially made room for a military candidate. The deal fell through after the NRMP reporting deadline, so it's reported as a vacancy even though the spot never really existed.