14P, 13B, 8V too Unbalanced for California Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokemoniscool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my MCAT results today. I got a 35Q and my only gripe with it is the low and unbalanced verbal. I was planning on applying this cycle with anything over a 35 and but the verbal score makes me want to retake it. I've been getting 11-12 on the practice tests and I know I messed up during the actual test. So I guess my question is... is it worth it to retake it (especially when I'm really happy about the other two scores), should I then wait a year, and am I still going to be a competitive for UC's and other mid/top programs.

Looking at the MSAR an 8 falls on the borderline of the 10th percentile of most schools so that doesn't seem too generous. I have a 3.8 and the rest of my application is pretty standard.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just got my MCAT results today. I got a 35Q and my only gripe with it is the low and unbalanced verbal. I was planning on applying this cycle with anything over a 35 and but the verbal score makes me want to retake it. I've been getting 11-12 on the practice tests and I know I messed up during the actual test. So I guess my question is... is it worth it to retake it (especially when I'm really happy about the other two scores), should I then wait a year, and am I still going to be a competitive for UC's and other mid/top programs.

Looking at the MSAR an 8 falls on the borderline of the 10th percentile of most schools so that doesn't seem too generous. I have a 3.8 and the rest of my application is pretty standard.

Yes your score is low but not dismally low. What I would do is apply anyway, and if you feel like you absolutely need to retake it, just indicate it on your app. But a 35 IS good.

If you're ESL, they'll probably cut you some slack.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

It would not be worth it to retake it. You risk getting a lower score. You will get interviews as even though an 8 is technically low for the schools you're looking at, you overall MCAT score (and GPA) will suffice.

Edit: And don't forget, those who are getting 8's in VR aren't normally getting 13's and 14's in other categories. Anything lower than an 8 would probably draw some concern though.

Hm...definitely unbalanced, but an 8 isn't terrible. Check the MSAR to be sure that the schools you apply to have at least an 8 for 10th percentile VR, to be safe.

Hey guys,

I just applied, and got into 3 schools with an 8 VR, 11PS, 13 BS. Don't retake. Your GPA is higher than mine too. Just fair warning that you might get asked about it in interviews.