15 schools no response - interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alerk323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As of now I have had two interviews earlier in the fall (state and tufts, sent in secondaries in early sept) but no acceptances or any more pending interviews and 2-3 rejections. I have a 33 mcat and 3.75 gpa. I also have what I believe to be a good mix of research, patient exposure and work experience. I also have 15 schools that have not sent me any information after "complete" emails. My question is, how common is this that so many schools are unresponsive? I feel like I have decent stats to at least get interviews at many of these schools. I know there's still time in the interview cycle but I'd like to get input from others in the same boat.

I have plenty of back up plans (and to be honest, I woudln't mind taking another year off) but I do want to get accepted and it's getting later and later.

Anyway, congrats to all those accepted, any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

As of now I have had two interviews earlier in the fall (state and tufts, sent in secondaries in early sept) but no acceptances or any more pending interviews and 2-3 rejections. I have a 33 mcat and 3.75 gpa. I also have what I believe to be a good mix of research, patient exposure and work experience. I also have 15 schools that have not sent me any information after "complete" emails. My question is, how common is this that so many schools are unresponsive? I feel like I have decent stats to at least get interviews at many of these schools. I know there's still time in the interview cycle but I'd like to get input from others in the same boat.

I have plenty of back up plans (and to be honest, I woudln't mind taking another year off) but I do want to get accepted and it's getting later and later.

Anyway, congrats to all those accepted, any input would be appreciated.

The bolded is probably your problem. "What you believe" from your perspective and "what is" from the perspective of an adcom are probably different. You were complete early and your numbers are right about the average. Your ECs or LORs may not have been as strong as you thought. Maybe you applied to schools that were too strong for your application.

More information is needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response nicknaylor,

You're probably right. Here's a quick overview of the main things ive done (not everything, but what i consider is the most important).

Clinical experience: a summer shadowing an orthopedist and a summer volunteering as a first responder in another country on ambulances (40 hours a week for 5 weeks after the training).

Research is really just a honors senior thesis and I've had a job every summer working in a healthcare management/consulting role.

If I don't get in this year, what can I do to improve these areas? I have a full time job right now and will have one all of next year, so I don't have time to do significant research. A similar problem with getting more clinical experience as my job is unpredictable and often requires me to work late.

Here is my list of schools: Other than the obvious reaches, most of these have averages around my numbers.

BU
Tufts
Umass
Columbia
Albany Med
GW
Georgetown
Northwestern
Roslind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Johns Hopkins
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
NYU
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Upenn
Temple
Jefferson
UVM
Emory

It can't be that terrible as I got interviews at both umass and tufts, and tufts at least is pretty picky with their interviews (just compared to umass, who interviews about half).

If indeed that is the case, what can I do about it? How could I even find out? I used committee review, can I get different references for next year? (I will definitely be able to get a couple more solid ones). But I was under the impression that they accept an update letter, but use the reference already submitted.

Thanks for the response nicknaylor,

You're probably right. Here's a quick overview of the main things ive done (not everything, but what i consider is the most important).

Clinical experience: a summer shadowing an orthopedist and a summer volunteering as a first responder in another country on ambulances (40 hours a week for 5 weeks after the training).

Research is really just a honors senior thesis and I've had a job every summer working in a healthcare management/consulting role.

If I don't get in this year, what can I do to improve these areas? I have a full time job right now and will have one all of next year, so I don't have time to do significant research. A similar problem with getting more clinical experience as my job is unpredictable and often requires me to work late.

Your clinical and research experience is not exceptional (sorry!) by any means. Were you able to convincingly portray your desire to go into medicine from just the two isolated clinical experiences? That could easily be the things holding you back.

Like you said, you don't have time for research so I wouldn't recommend a 10hr/week research job - sucks for the lab and you won't get anything out of it. And your school list doesnt look like they are too research oriented (except, of course, the obvious reaches). But you have to get more clinical exposure - it doesn't have to be shadowing; go by the LizzyM motto - If you can smell patients, it is a clinical experience.

It can't be that terrible as I got interviews at both umass and tufts, and tufts at least is pretty picky with their interviews (just compared to umass, who interviews about half).

If indeed that is the case, what can I do about it? How could I even find out? I used committee review, can I get different references for next year? (I will definitely be able to get a couple more solid ones). But I was under the impression that they accept an update letter, but use the reference already submitted.

I don't think you have a bad letter. That is usually a big red flag especially if it was a committee letter. You wouldn't have got the interviews you did.

Too many top heavy schools with average extracurriculars and average stats (sorry for being mean)...being honest. Just cross your fingers, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

In terms of clinical experience: my jobs during the summer put me in close contact with hospital management and my job now involves market research where we specifically interact with patients. I didn't list them as clinical experience because it's not traditional, but I can certainly "smell the patients" at least... I used those experiences as well as what I listed to convey my interest in medicine.

In terms of my stats, I was under the impression that the average matriculant had stats around 32 and 3.6, making my stats average for students who matriculate. For all applicants though, I thought it was 28 and 3.5, making my stats pretty solidly above that at least. I very much want to be realistic about everything, but is my logic incorrect in this regard?

Hey alerk323, I totally understand your feeling. I think with your situation, you should apply for more normal school next year (not Colombia or Upenn, 36MCAT is still low for them) and apply EARLY. You should consider retaking MCAT if you think you can improve. Many applicants do not get in in the first year, so it's not a big deal. Enjoy your work!

For your questions about average scores, first numbers are not only factors. Race, special talent, and legacy are all put into consideration. If you are African American, you can probably get in with a 32 (no offense, just talking about stats).

Best wish!

Your stats are fine.

Against the possibility that you'll be reapplying, and for the sake of update letters, I suggest you gain clinical experiences where you interact directly with US patients who are ill or injured, that you shadow a primary care physician (US), that you engage in some nonmedical community service, and that you take on a leadership role and/or teaching.

If your thesis work was not hypothesis-driven, then it is not "Research" for AMCAS purposes, it is more like an in-depth term paper (and should be listed under "Other"). If you don't plan to get in a Research experience, then another area of your ECs should be correspondingly stronger.

If you don't have the time to beef up your ECs because your job has priority for you right now over getting into med school (and you work late at night and all weekend), then put off reapplying until you can make your application as strong as possible first. Folks in their 30s and 40s do successfully get into med school, so there is no rush.

Somewhat if a necro bump but I was wondering what you did to improve? My numbers are close along with my extracurriculars. School list is similar except it isn't as top heavy by about four schools. It's pretty scary to think you weren't successful that cycle but hope things will go better this round.

Do you have any sustained volunteering, even nonmedical? You mentioned only two experiences, both short-term. Frankly, you come off a bit as a "checked-off-that-box" candidate, and thus left your essays having to do all the work in conveying your interest in and passion for medicine with minimal evidence to back them up. Your research is light - you should not by any means view it as a strength in your application, at least not yet. Your numbers are good, so they aren't the problem.

My advice would be to begin a long-term clinical volunteering position (as in, you'd maintain it until at least next app cycle or you start school fall 2013, depending how this one goes) and to get someone to look over your essays, making sure you do a good job selling yourself with them. If you have the time, also look into a gig at a lab for some extra research exposure. Don't forget, though - while you aren't where you need to be yet overall, you got the hard parts (GPA and MCAT) where they need to be. Just bring the rest of your app up to their level, and I expect you'll succeed. =)