16 year old preparing to become a Neurosurgeon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureNeuroSurgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am 16 years old wanting to choose Neurosurgery for a career. I have been wanting to become a surgeon for as long as i can remember, and i find it very fascinating just how much the human brain does. I am looking for tips and advice detailing things i could do to prepare me for college and getting into a good Med school. During my early years, i was actually really good at math, science, and just about every subject. But once i grew older and hit middle school, i started getting lazy and had a lot of stress to deal with (Bullying, etc.)
Once i hit High school, i became more mature but my learning abilities still lacked. I am now a Sophomore and wanting to commit to studying every day so that i could improve my knowledge in Math an Science. During my freshman year of high school, i struggled with learning quite a bit and never actually applied myself. My grades ranged from the 70's to the 80's, but never the less i still passed. The first semester of Sophomore year, i still struggled with applying myself but i managed to keep All A's in every subject, which i am very proud of even though i used the internet for help quite a bit. Now it is my second semester of Sophomore year and i am wanting to actually apply myself, study, and retain the information. I hear that math and science play a part in actually getting into medical school (calculus, algebra, Chem, etc) so i am deciding to start getting serious with my education by studying a few hours every day.

What I'm wondering is, it too late to come out on top and get into medical school considering i kind of wasted my first two or so years of high school? This bugs me quite a bit. I plan to study my math and science all over again, all the way from algebra, geometry, chemistry, and even get a head start on calculus. I also plan to volunteer at a local hospital these coming months, to get a feel of things and hopefully get to watch some surgeries take place. What do you guy's think of all of this? If i continue to study my math and science every day throughout the rest of high school and actually apply myself, should i be good for college and getting into Med school? Do you have any other advice for me? This is my first post on this wonderful site so i am sorry if my writing is a little all over the place. I am very nervous about my future for college.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, you are actually posting to the Neurology thread, not Neurosurgery. If you would like to post there, navigate to the "surgical sub-specialties" in the "physician/resident forums", and you'll find the Neurosurgery forum.

Second - you're in high school. Chillax a bit. Try to do well on your SATs, get into a decent undergrad, take the MCAT (do well), apply to med school, matriculate. Then do well, and, if neurosurgery's what you really want at that point (nearly everyone changes their mind once they hit med school and actually learn what things are like), you can worry about it then.

Man, I wasn't even close to thinking about medicine during high-school, and I scraped by. You'll be fine.

That is great that you are passionate about something and have a path to follow. Certainly welcome.

First thing I would say is that high school is basically irrelevant, and certainly anything before that (my friend is a neurosurgery resident, and he was a straight C student until high school). Your SAT and high school GPA will be important in the college application process, and then will NEVER come up again. Whether you had all Cs and no AP classes, or had a 4.5 gpa and was valedictorian doesnt matter (you will both be on equal footing come medical school applications). Its good to work hard to build a great work ethic, "learning how to learn," and going to a great college will give you great opportunities to pursue some research during your undergrad (which most actually do not even do btw), but really you should take this opportunity to have fun.

You're 16 years old, enjoy your life! Play some video games, hang out with friends, play sports and go to parties, learn some hobbies/an instrument/learn to dance. As Im heading into residency and nearing the end of the "game," i look back and realize that the point of life is to live it and imbue it with color.

With that said, i can give you tips on what to do in COLLEGE. Certainly work hard and try to get into a good college (will certainly be helpful if you choose a different career path). Once there, try to get involved with research early by emailing researchers in your college, and try to get published (not necessary, but will certainly help). Take classes where you will get As (pick the easier professors, period. I used to be lofty and chose the more difficult professors for the "challenge," but this is a numbers game to get into med school and you are not going into basic science research, you want that A). GPA is important in college for your med schools applications. Start volunteering (get ~120hrs of hospital volunteering) and shadowing (get ~60 hours) and try to get involved in something unique (acapella club or whatever). And I would certainly use the Berkley Review for MCAT studying and make sure you take all of the practice tests. But of course, have fun! Its college, might be the best time of your life (was certainly mine).

But my best advice would be not to go into neurosurgery (unless you can bear getting up 4am every morning and basically having no life). Neurosurg is becoming less and less competitive every year for a reason...

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, you are actually posting to the Neurology thread, not Neurosurgery. If you would like to post there, navigate to the "surgical sub-specialties" in the "physician/resident forums", and you'll find the Neurosurgery forum.

Second - you're in high school. Chillax a bit. Try to do well on your SATs, get into a decent undergrad, take the MCAT (do well), apply to med school, matriculate. Then do well, and, if neurosurgery's what you really want at that point (nearly everyone changes their mind once they hit med school and actually learn what things are like), you can worry about it then.

Man, I wasn't even close to thinking about medicine during high-school, and I scraped by. You'll be fine.

Thank you for telling me that i posted this in the wrong sub forum, I'll make sure to post in the right one next time :) And thank you for your advice. I realize now that i have nothing to worry about and i should use these remaining two years of child hood to have fun.

Reactions: 1 user
That is great that you are passionate about something and have a path to follow. Certainly welcome.

First thing I would say is that high school is basically irrelevant, and certainly anything before that (my friend is a neurosurgery resident, and he was a straight C student until high school). Your SAT and high school GPA will be important in the college application process, and then will NEVER come up again. Whether you had all Cs and no AP classes, or had a 4.5 gpa and was valedictorian doesnt matter (you will both be on equal footing come medical school applications). Its good to work hard to build a great work ethic, "learning how to learn," and going to a great college will give you great opportunities to pursue some research during your undergrad (which most actually do not even do btw), but really you should take this opportunity to have fun.

You're 16 years old, enjoy your life! Play some video games, hang out with friends, play sports and go to parties, learn some hobbies/an instrument/learn to dance. As Im heading into residency and nearing the end of the "game," i look back and realize that the point of life is to live it and imbue it with color.

With that said, i can give you tips on what to do in COLLEGE. Certainly work hard and try to get into a good college (will certainly be helpful if you choose a different career path). Once there, try to get involved with research early by emailing researchers in your college, and try to get published (not necessary, but will certainly help). Take classes where you will get As (pick the easier professors, period. I used to be lofty and chose the more difficult professors for the "challenge," but this is a numbers game to get into med school and you are not going into basic science research, you want that A). GPA is important in college for your med schools applications. Start volunteering (get ~120hrs of hospital volunteering) and shadowing (get ~60 hours) and try to get involved in something unique (acapella club or whatever). And I would certainly use the Berkley Review for MCAT studying and make sure you take all of the practice tests. But of course, have fun! Its college, might be the best time of your life (was certainly mine).

But my best advice would be not to go into neurosurgery (unless you can bear getting up 4am every morning and basically having no life). Neurosurg is becoming less and less competitive every year for a reason...

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your help, i will definitely continue to work hard but at the same time, remember to have fun since I'm still young. I've never really volunteered for anything so far throughout high school so i am really looking forward to volunteering at a hospital and maybe an animal shelter as well.

^ That is great, but remember it will help with college apps and then silly to put it in your app for medical school. So if you love animals, take this time for the animal shelter, as career-wise you will have to do medical volunteer stuff later.

welcome to the forum....the most appropriate place for you to post is actually the "HSDN" forum for high schoolers. If you'd like to see what neurosurgeons talk about, read through their forum as well although your questions should likely be in HSDN

Hello everyone, i am 16 years old wanting to choose Neurosurgery for a career. I have been wanting to become a surgeon for as long as i can remember, and i find it very fascinating just how much the human brain does. I am looking for tips and advice detailing things i could do to prepare me for college and getting into a good Med school. During my early years, i was actually really good at math, science, and just about every subject. But once i grew older and hit middle school, i started getting lazy and had a lot of stress to deal with (Bullying, etc.)
Once i hit High school, i became more mature but my learning abilities still lacked. I am now a Sophomore and wanting to commit to studying every day so that i could improve my knowledge in Math an Science. During my freshman year of high school, i struggled with learning quite a bit and never actually applied myself. My grades ranged from the 70's to the 80's, but never the less i still passed. The first semester of Sophomore year, i still struggled with applying myself but i managed to keep All A's in every subject, which i am very proud of even though i used the internet for help quite a bit. Now it is my second semester of Sophomore year and i am wanting to actually apply myself, study, and retain the information. I hear that math and science play a part in actually getting into medical school (calculus, algebra, Chem, etc) so i am deciding to start getting serious with my education by studying a few hours every day.

What I'm wondering is, it too late to come out on top and get into medical school considering i kind of wasted my first two or so years of high school? This bugs me quite a bit. I plan to study my math and science all over again, all the way from algebra, geometry, chemistry, and even get a head start on calculus. I also plan to volunteer at a local hospital these coming months, to get a feel of things and hopefully get to watch some surgeries take place. What do you guy's think of all of this? If i continue to study my math and science every day throughout the rest of high school and actually apply myself, should i be good for college and getting into Med school? Do you have any other advice for me? This is my first post on this wonderful site so i am sorry if my writing is a little all over the place. I am very nervous about my future for college.

In middle school I was gung-ho neurosurgery. In high school, gung-ho neurosurgery. In my first year of med school, gung-ho neurosurgery with research. In my second year, gung-ho neurosurgery. Then, something happened in my 3rd year - after 14 years of wanting to do NS - I changed my mind. No more neurosurgery. You can't know what rock-climbing is like until you get face-to-face with the mountain. I loved everything about it, but that has very little to do with how I liked doing it. Most med students change their minds during med school. It's human nature, and you're not immune to it. Your passion for NS will drive you to get into med school. After that everything changes.

Reactions: 2 users

It's a hard career but an amazing one at that :)
Your high school GPA is irrelevant. My cousin scraped by with a low B/C average but later got into Yale med because he worked his ass off in undergrad. You're in high school. Enjoy your teenage years for a bit, and don't be so worried on it right now. Keep an open mind on what interests you because you may change your mind. You're still quite young and shouldn't be worrying so much on a specific career choice. Good luck, anyways. :)