1st interview of 5 on Monday UT San Antonio. Any last minute advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topher67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent many hours researching the school/city, and made outlines for over 50 most common/popular questions. These outlines have made it easy for me to keep a mental checklist/outline to prevent me from going blank during the interview. I have been practicing mock interview with multiple health care professionals and they all think, I'm going to nail the interview. Butttt I still have never attended a dental interview, so my mind is running with the WHAT IF factors. -___-

My outlines/response reflect my essays and every bit of information the schools have from my application, or in other words THE TRUTH lol.

I worked in a dental lab creating dentures and partials for a summer 3 years ago. I have also shadowed my general dentist every spring break and periodically throughout the summers, for the past 4-5 years. I'm a little worried if the schools are going to expect me to know every detail I have learned, which I can not remember from the lab. Just the general process of making dentures and partials.

So any advice or comments to ease my what if worries would be great. :) Thanks guys/gals!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No school wants to hear about fine details of how to prep a denture, so don't worry about that. Sounds like you've done everything you can to prep, just try to relax and go knock their socks off with your charisma and good looks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pick your nose. And you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What source did you use for the 50 most popular questions? Thx

Well.... You guys were correct, the interview went AWESOME :) I wayyyyy over prepared.

What source did you use for the 50 most popular questions? Thx

It was from a combination of google searching sources. Mainly the most common question from sources, like tell me about your self, why dentist, what are your strengths/weaknesses, what makes you stand out from others, is there anything you would like to add that is not on your application, the big one...why our school.

It was like they were trying to sell me on their school, more than interviewing me.

Reactions: 1 user
It was from a combination of google searching sources. Mainly the most common question from sources, like tell me about your self, why dentist, what are your strengths/weaknesses, what makes you stand out from others, is there anything you would like to add that is not on your application, the big one...why our school.

It was like they were trying to sell me on their school, more than interviewing me.

San Antonio interview was that chill?

I heard you have to write an essay on the spot at the SA interview… fact or fiction?

I heard you have to write an essay on the spot at the SA interview… fact or fiction?

Fact. Dr Segura tells you it doesn't have to be long, they just want to make sure that you actually did write your personal statement.

this should be every candidate's experience on the interview trail. by the time you get to this point, it's obvi the school wants you, and it should be a matter of them making their best possible bid for you to accept their (eventual) offer.

Fact. Dr Segura tells you it doesn't have to be long, they just want to make sure that you actually did write your personal statement.

How does that work? Doesn't your essay go through multiple editing?

How does that work? Doesn't your essay go through multiple editing?

I assumed your writing style.

They want to make sure you didn't have someone else completely write your essay. Even with some edits, the core of your writing will still be there.

I assumed your writing style.

They want to make sure you didn't have someone else completely write your essay. Even with some edits, the core of your writing will still be there.

Oh I always hear different things about that part of the interview. For example, I heard that they were just trying to see if you can write coherently.

They asked if there was anything I could change about my education what would it be. I talked about research, b/c I had not preformed any research in my undergrad and wish I would have. I didn't really talk about my school career in my personal statement b/c it is shown everywhere else in the application.

Last edited:
University of Tennessee was even more chill than San Antonio, so instead of "having a conversation" with the three interviewers, I really focused on letting them know how my leadership, communication, and hand skill set would have a positive transition into dental school. Basically if you practice enough and make out lines you can control the interview.

soooo I don't mean to pull this thread out from the grave but does anyone know where OP ended up going? Any chance we can get that interview question list?

dont talk about how the warriors swept the spurs.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't mind that topic.

I would like to talk to you about how warriors was robbed when lebron cried to Adam silver and got dray suspended. If it wasn't for that, 3-1 jokes would only exist for the thunder.
(And I am a laker fan living in the worst city for sports, Boston)

Be humble. Don't brag about having five interviews already.