1st Post Ever - 39 y/o considering starting from a business BA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a761506

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2)
Prereqs and MCAT prep: 2-3 years
Glide year (apply and interview): 1 year

If admitted, then:
4 years of study, in most cases (not talking about special programs like NYU that cut med school to 3 years)

If your Step scores are competitive enough and there are program directors who are not ageist, i.e. you get matched into a surg residency then:
5 years of gen surg or ortho surg residency
Following the above residency would likely be a fellowship for specilized surg, which adds another 1-3 years of fellowship training.

You're looking at a minimum of 12 years of commitment, provided that the two Ifs above are no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) Am I logical in my thought process taking into account my age, life circumstances and reasoning as to why I'd like to become a doctor?
No. Liking to solve puzzles is not quite as bad of a reason for going to medical school as wanting to make lots of money, but it's still pretty bad.

2) Approximately how long will it take me to become a specialized surgeon, assuming I begin taking prerequisites this summer?
Assuming you have no prereqs done, you are realistically looking at 2-3 years of post bac/MCAT prep/app year, 4 years of med school, and 5 years of residency just to become a general surgeon. Depending on the subspecialty, it could be 7+ years of postgrad training. So bare minimum of 11 years, and more likely in the range of 13-15 years.

3) Will my undergrad grades have any bearing on my admission to medical school (considering hardly any were science related courses), or will medical schools only focus on my prerequisites (and MCAT) which I'll take over the next 2-3 years?
Both will be taken into consideration, but your more recent grades will probably be weighted more heavily by most schools.

4) Typically, around what age will a surgeon's hands and/or eyes no longer be capable?
No one can answer this, as it depends on the individual. But you'd be starting as an attending in your early to mid 50s, so odds are good you're not looking at a multi-decade surgery career here.

You're a CFP, so you have some insight into the bad results that can come from people's unrealistic expectations when they don't do their due diligence before they leap into some too good to be true "guaranteed" money-making scheme that they don't really understand. What you're currently proposing is the medical school analog of that. I suggest that you start by getting some clinical experience (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) to see if you like the actual practice of medicine. Since you think you want to be a surgeon, you should try to find a surgeon who will let you hang out with him/her in the clinic/ICU/ER, not just in the OR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do enough math so that you know how many practice years you'll have after residency & fellowship. Depending on location & facility, you start getting challenged on your fitness around 65, aside from whether your eyes/knees/back/arthritis are actually holding up well enough for you to continue operating.

Over 40 it's easy to have the number of years it takes to get to practice equal the number of years you can practice (or want to).

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/06/18/414912417/when-should-surgeons-stop-operating

I am in need of realistic guidance, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and provide your response.

I am a 39 year old man (I turn 40 in June), with a BA in Human Resource Management from Michigan State University, class of 1998. My graduating GPA was 3.2. I never really tried very hard in college, I had a great time and did the minimum to get by and scrape together a 3.2, as I never felt my grades were that important.

I have had a very successful career in the field of financial planning, as a result, I am rather well off financially. In recent months, my life has undergone two major changes. First, my business partner and I ended our partnership due to differences in the direction of the company. The thought of beginning a new financial planning firm is just not exciting me, even though I know I could be very successful doing it. Second, I went through a divorce or sorts, except we weren't married so I didn't have to relinquish any of my assets. I have no children, do not plan on having children, and no one is dependent on me. I could also use a break from a serious relationship, as I wouldn't mind embracing being single for a while and dedicate the time towards bettering myself.

I know finance is one of the subjects covered in these types of threads, I am in the fortunate position I could pay my way through med school and come out with no debt.

I've given a ton of thought as to the question why I'd like to become a doctor. Months have gone into this question and the decision to take even this step in the process. And the one answer I keep coming back to is: the challenge. I am intrigued tremendously not by the challenge of becoming a doctor, but rather, by the challenge of being a doctor. And while I'd certainly be helping people, the challenge itself, that personal satisfaction I receive as a result of my helping someone, that is my ultimate motivation.

I've always had an inquisitive mind and developed a personal competitive nature with puzzle solving. I think I would excel in a position where I was constantly being challenged with complex puzzles, which leads to believe I'd enjoy the heck out of doing virtually any type of surgery.

I have strong communication skills, I speak in a friendly and genuine manner, and others seem to like me. I have to believe this will go a long way for me in interactions with patients and family.

Questions I have (your response to any or all is greatly appreciated):
1) Am I logical in my thought process taking into account my age, life circumstances and reasoning as to why I'd like to become a doctor?
2) Approximately how long will it take me to become a specialized surgeon, assuming I begin taking prerequisites this summer?
3) Will my undergrad grades have any bearing on my admission to medical school (considering hardly any were science related courses), or will medical schools only focus on my prerequisites (and MCAT) which I'll take over the next 2-3 years?
4) Typically, around what age will a surgeon's hands and/or eyes no longer be capable?

If I were you (no family or work obligations, financial means, no prereqs, decent undergrad GPA), I would apply to the top formal post-bac programs. If you get into one, that will give you your best chance in the least time, especially if you can take advantage of a linkage.

If I were you (no family or work obligations, financial means, no prereqs, decent undergrad GPA), I would apply to the top formal post-bac programs. If you get into one, that will give you your best chance in the least time, especially if you can take advantage of a linkage.

+1. Just fully understand how difficult it is to attain linkage at some of these programs. I was accepted to UVA's Postbacc program but for financial considerations ultimately chose to do the non-traditional route. However, assuming equivalent academic standards and competition, I would not have qualified for linkage at some of the UVA programs AND there was no way I would have been prepared to take the MCAT when it was required for linkage considerations.

There is a man in his 50s graduating from a highly reputable med school in the Northeast this year. If this is something you really, truly want to do, don't let internet strangers tell you no.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently talked with a woman, now 31 years-old, coming out of a divorce with no children, who's seriously considering med-school. I recommended that she go PA... she had a 3.55 GPA in History.

Last edited:
There is a man in his 50s graduating from a highly reputable med school in the Northeast this year. If this is something you really, truly want to do, don't let internet strangers tell you no.

OP, temper your response to the above with the understanding that those persons in the upper age brackets are outliers. Also, IIRC older grads tend to fill FM/IM spots over the surgical specialties.

@Danbo brings up a good point about considering PA. If what've you've said is true, you're in a financially healthy position and can maintain that health to a larger degree via the PA route. PA's still provide care and are trained in the allopathic model; it might be a good idea to give it serious consideration as well.

Regardless of which path you choose, start with shadowing and volunteering. There's a reason why concept and reality often diverge. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
OP has not been back. That probably answers his question.

OP has not been back.
One good definition of nontraditional might be "isn't on SDN every day because has actual responsibilities and a life."

One good definition of nontraditional might be "isn't on SDN every day because has actual responsibilities and a life."

That could be true. It could also be that the OP posted and really does not care that much. If someone is truly trying to figure out HOW to do this, typically, they check back to see what was answered.

I'm non-trad as they get. My first post - despite that I was blasted from here to the other side of Pluto - still kept me coming back to check for information. Why? Because I was seriously trying to figure things out, not just randomly flying over. And I too have a plethora of other responsibilities (job, school, elderly parents, son, dogs, cat, horses, probably a pig or two in there as well...)