1st Quarter Freshman Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a247racr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my freshman 1 quarter grades. i got a B- in physics, B+ in Calc, B- in a intro to biomed class, and C in a physics lab. My current GPA is 2.874. Do i have any chances for med school. And also i am doing research with a plastic surgeon. thinking of starting volunteering next quarter. Can u guyz please help me.

Edit: Can someone tell me what else i need to do that would help me for med school

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my freshman 1 quarter grades. i got a B- in physics, B+ in Calc, B- in a intro to biomed class, and C in a physics lab. My current GPA is 2.874. Do i have any chances for med school. And also i am doing research with a plastic surgeon. thinking of starting volunteering next quarter. Can u guyz please help me.

Yup, don't give up hope. I had a ****ty first two YEARS of college and was totally aimless. Then I realized medicine was for me, buckled down and busted my ass, and right now I'm sitting on 3 MD acceptances.

No one can say that you have or don't have a chance. You've only completed ONE QUARTER. Here's the good news - You now have an opportunity to demonstrate an UPWARD TREND in your grades. That's what you want to do now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. I know that people come to this forum when they are worried or scared and need some reassurance and such. I get it. But after the 100th of these types of threads, in what seems like under two weeks, I feel that I need to say this: (And not necessarily directed at only the OP, but everyone in general.)

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. PLZ.

OP, I understand that you are worried about the future, but next time, before posting in the forum, just search a bit in previous threads and on MDapps, and you'll find your answer.

the good news: it's only 1 quarter, and adcomms are forgiving of your first term freshman year.

the bad news: you need to seriously re-evaluate your study skills. read some books, get some counseling, do something!

I dont think he needs to seriously reevaluate his study skills or get counseling. That's a bit extreme.e B's are not bad grades at all. I love B's. Most classes its all I can hope for. You really need to take into account where the OP goes to school. GPA is all relative.

I had a 3.0 my first semester of college

now my GPA is a 3.7 OVERALL (i'm a junior)
don't lose hope
good luck

Edit: Can someone tell me what else i need to do that would help me for med school

Being that this is your first post I'm not going to give you any crap about not using the search button (unlike some *other* people on this board).

You're still in the running. You'll have to start doing a lot better, though. Aim for at least a 3.7 by the time you apply.

In terms of other things to do... it sounds like you're set: research + volunteering. Just try to do something in addition to this so you aren't yet another cookie-cutter bio major.

I dont think he needs to seriously reevaluate his study skills or get counseling. That's a bit extreme.e B's are not bad grades at all. I love B's. Most classes its all I can hope for. You really need to take into account where the OP goes to school. GPA is all relative.

Dude... If you want to get into med school, B's ARE bad grades!

If you don't have a 3.6 or higher, you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage. Even if you're at an Ivy, you're more or less screwed with a 3.4 or below (a close friend of mine with a 3.35 GPA/34 MCAT with an Ivy undergrad degree is having tough luck, and it's her second application cycle).

If you don't have a 3.6 or higher, you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.

True. :)

Even if you're at an Ivy, you're more or less screwed with a 3.4 or below (a close friend of mine with a 3.35 GPA/34 MCAT with an Ivy undergrad degree is having tough luck, and it's her second application cycle).

Untrue. While lower numbers are generally associated with fewer acceptances, a 3.4 is not at all a death sentence. Applications cover EC's, MCAT, GPA's, PS, LOR's, and ultimately interviews. Someone with great stats and a crappy interview may talk themselves right onto the waitlist while someone with a 3.4/29P and solid experiences/letters/interview gets a direct acceptance.

Sure, in general, higher numbers are better. That said, I don't think it's fair to instill this "below a 3.4 and you're screwed" paranoia in people when the process itself does quite enough of that. :) Take a look at my numbers.