1st Year Clinical PhD Student - silly question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livethruthis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellooo

I am a 1st year student at an apa accredited clinical phd program and I am loving it.
Basically, I might be getting a B+ in my statistics class. Will this be a problem for me?

I actually feel as though I have a strong understanding of stats and am able to apply it my research... I just fear that internship sites will be turned off by a B+ (but my major priority is not my coursework but working on manuscripts with my adviser and getting my feet wet in a bunch of different projects)

Members don't see this ad.

B's get degrees. If you graduate with a 4.0 you didn't do enough things.

Reactions: 5 users
if a few of those manuscripts turn out, I doubt anyone will care about your stats grade. That is, as long as you're not barely getting by or saying stupid things that lead people to believe you dont understand statistics. Now that I think about it, I think I got a B+ in my structural equation modeling course, even though I loved that class.

Members don't see this ad :)
The goal of graduate school is to build up a strong enough CV that no one even looks at your transcripts.

Get more As than Bs. Don't get any Cs or lower. Focus your efforts on more important things, the coursework doesn't matter.

Reactions: 2 users
B's get degrees. If you graduate with a 4.0 you didn't do enough things.
I'm a strong believer in this, assuming that you master the concepts.

Learn the material as its important, particularly in the case of statistics and research. If you make a B it won't matter. Part of the transition to the real world is realizing that you are no longer a student and that the grades are not the defining characteristic of your qualification.

What Ollie said. A scattered B+ here and there doesn't matter if there are plenty of A's there. We look at transcripts for internship and postdoc applications, but it's usually a cursory glance for red flags. The real trouble is if there are no A's, a couple C's, if someone got lower than an A on practicum site grades, or if they are a specialty area (e.g., neuropsych) and they have no A's in neuro-related coursework. Not many people will care about a B+ in statistics unless you also have 0 productivity in research.

I actually feel as though I have a strong understanding of stats and am able to apply it my research... I just fear that internship sites will be turned off by a B+ (but my major priority is not my coursework but working on manuscripts with my adviser and getting my feet wet in a bunch of different projects)

One B won't hurt you. And you have the right attitude about coursework versus research productivity. Get those papers out and no one will care by the time you apply to internship.

I got a B+ in Cog Assessment my first year. I think I ended up knowing these assessments better than the rest of my class. Aside from the instructor of the course, no one else in the program cared at all.

To second EmotRegulation, I often teach graduate psychopharmacology and about half of my class gets Bs. I can't remember whom earned an A from me and whom earned a B. It really isn't important. I judge them based upon their research, clinical work, etc. As long as they perform well enough to pass the class, and as others have said, more As than Bs I am happy.

+1 I think I got a couple of Bs, not a problem. :)

Ditto! Definitely not a problem. I was part of internship rankings this year and transcripts were barely look at - except in one instance where the applicant had mostly all B's (and maybe a few C's) on their transcript. Stood out why there weren't more A's; however, the applicant would have been ranked poorly based on other aspects of the application too so this wasn't a deal-breaker alone.

Ditto! Definitely not a problem. I was part of internship rankings this year and transcripts were barely look at - except in one instance where the applicant had mostly all B's (and maybe a few C's) on their transcript. Stood out why there weren't more A's; however, the applicant would have been ranked poorly based on other aspects of the application too so this wasn't a deal-breaker alone.
Hmmm. Makes you think there may be a relationship between poor grades and other measures of performance. ;)

Reactions: 1 user