2.7 GPA 400 OAT (400TS, 390AA) help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWTH2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: filling out optomcas app and gpa is actually a 2.7 not 2.9 like previously posted :(

I took the OAT last week, got 400 in every section except organic chemistry - 310 :/ got a C- in orgo II as well. Not sure how to explain or if I need to retake it - scheduled it at end of summer so I could study and take orgo ii online but due to a number of personal crises wasn't able to study at all, almost didn't take the exam. Do you think I need to retake the oat or orgo II? I have a 2.9 gpa which is well below average so I know that's going against me. Major is biophysics at university of michigan.

Other question I had is how do people get shadowing opportunities. I see most schools require a letter from an optometrist but I've been unable to find one to even let me volunteer at their office.

I planned to apply to IAUPR, ICO, UMSL maybe 2 more. I would really love to attend IAUPR and it seems like a good fit for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on that great score! How many offices have you called? It seems strange that they won't let you do a little shadowing. Just keep calling or go in person to some offices, so they can see how serious you are.

I don't want to start any controversy here, but there are a lot of complaints about IAUPR. The few people I know in real life who went there would really advise against it. I think a few people on this forum say that they like the school, and I don't want to negate their feelings, but when so many people voice complaints I do think it's a cause for concern. Of course, you might already know this and be going for different reasons, in which case I won't keep rambling. Are you thinking that your GPA will hold you back?

Your GPA isn't quite up to the averages, but your test scores are fantastic. Can you convincingly explain your GPA to admissions committees? Try to clearly and concisely explain why your grades are the way that they are. With how high your OAT score is, I think that you might able to get people to really listen.

And I just saw that you got a C- in O-chem II. You might have to re-take that because of the minus.

Retake Ochem at community college level or university and get A/B. Two classes aren't enough to sink your GPA that low, were there any other science courses you did not do well in? Could you retake those courses if you scored a C or lower?

Best way to get a rec letter is to work at an opto office. Not only will you get a rec letter, you know exactly what goes on in the office- checking insurance, different types of contacts, refractions, checking eye pressure and lense prescription and what type of equipment they use to do it, where the bulk of your money comes from, dealing with difficult patients or communicating with them to get an accurate history, working up patients, different modalities coming out as a fresh grad. That knowledge will go a long way during interviews.

If your geographical location does not have many ODs, try contacting AOA or other associations or opto schools to see if they can hook you up with an Alumni practicing in that region.

Edit: filling out optomcas app and gpa is actually a 2.7 not 2.9 like previously posted :(

I took the OAT last week, got 400 in every section except organic chemistry - 310 :/ got a C- in orgo II as well. Not sure how to explain or if I need to retake it - scheduled it at end of summer so I could study and take orgo ii online but due to a number of personal crises wasn't able to study at all, almost didn't take the exam. Do you think I need to retake the oat or orgo II? I have a 2.9 gpa which is well below average so I know that's going against me. Major is biophysics at university of michigan.

Other question I had is how do people get shadowing opportunities. I see most schools require a letter from an optometrist but I've been unable to find one to even let me volunteer at their office.

I planned to apply to IAUPR, ICO, UMSL maybe 2 more. I would really love to attend IAUPR and it seems like a good fit for me.