2.75 GPA Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureGaPharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all PharmD students and Pre-Pharm hopefuls out there. I am new to this forum and I need some advice. I have read through previous threads about the low gpa issues. Everyone has a different set of circumstances so here's mine.

I have an undergraduate degree in Telecommunications with a low gpa of 2.83. I have been out of undergrad for the past 3 1/2 years now and never worked in my field of study, but as a substitute teacher for the public school system. I started taking my pre-reqs in the Fall of 2003 and I still have courses in progress because I was out of school for one year and a half. My pre-req gpa is low also, 2.75 due to issues such as homelessness, ill-health and some other unmentionables. I am back in school this semester enrolled in Biology II and Calc I. I still have to take Orgo I & II, and Phys II.

With all of the above said, I would like some honest and constructive feedback on my chances of getting into pharmacy school. I haven't taken the PCAT yet and I feel that exam and my last few pre-reqs is my only hope. Also, I do have some volunteer experience under my belt. I volunteered for a non-profit organization for 6 months helping at risk youth and 1 1/2 year experience as a emergency room volunteer in a hospital. I haven't done any more volunteer work since all the issues arose in the past year. Please reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered taking any classes that you received a "C" or lower in over again? Some schools will take the higher of the grades, which would raise your GPA. Check out the different schools you are interested in applying to about what their policy is on retaking classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all PharmD students and Pre-Pharm hopefuls out there. I am new to this forum and I need some advice. I have read through previous threads about the low gpa issues. Everyone has a different set of circumstances so here's mine.

I have an undergraduate degree in Telecommunications with a low gpa of 2.83. I have been out of undergrad for the past 3 1/2 years now and never worked in my field of study, but as a substitute teacher for the public school system. I started taking my pre-reqs in the Fall of 2003 and I still have courses in progress because I was out of school for one year and a half. My pre-req gpa is low also, 2.75 due to issues such as homelessness, ill-health and some other unmentionables. I am back in school this semester enrolled in Biology II and Calc I. I still have to take Orgo I & II, and Phys II.

With all of the above said, I would like some honest and constructive feedback on my chances of getting into pharmacy school. I haven't taken the PCAT yet and I feel that exam and my last few pre-reqs is my only hope. Also, I do have some volunteer experience under my belt. I volunteered for a non-profit organization for 6 months helping at risk youth and 1 1/2 year experience as a emergency room volunteer in a hospital. I haven't done any more volunteer work since all the issues arose in the past year. Please reply.

From your screen name, I assume you are in Georgia?? If so, don't waste your time applying to UGA - they will only accept very high grades and PCAT combined. I attend Mercer - there are a few people in my class with comparable GPA's to yours - don't know their exact stats but I would assume that they did very well on the PCAT to balance it.

I am assuming that you have only taken Bio I and General Chem I and II based on the classes you have left to take.

Let me tell you.....those should be easier classes compared to the ones you have yet to take, because it only gets harder from there.
I suggest you finish this semester and see how well you do, without other intervening circumstances. If you can't make it past the 3.1 mark, I say change careers. Even with 3.1, you must shine in your PCAT or you're screwed.

sorry, not to be discouraging or anything but admission is getting harder and harder each year. Alot of people have gotten in with 3.0 in the past, but I hardly hear of that anymore.

But I say just try your best, because if you want something really bad, you will get it.
:) :) :)

From your screen name, I assume you are in Georgia?? If so, don't waste your time applying to UGA - they will only accept very high grades and PCAT combined. I attend Mercer - there are a few people in my class with comparable GPA's to yours - don't know their exact stats but I would assume that they did very well on the PCAT to balance it.

Your assumptions is correct, I am in Georgia. I have ruled UGA out because of the fierce competition that I face and I would rather save my self the embarrassment. Mercer is on my list as well as a few out of state schools. Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, how is the academic load at Mercer?

Try applying to Idaho state, they dont require PCAT and they are really lenient on GPA's. If worst comes to worst try McCreighton Online Pharmacy if you really want to be a Pharmacist.

Try applying to Idaho state, they dont require PCAT and they are really lenient on GPA's. If worst comes to worst try McCreighton Online Pharmacy if you really want to be a Pharmacist.

how lenient are we talking? do you know anyone that got accepted with a low GPA?

Just FYI (despite how some people like to denigrate the program) Creighton University's distance PharmD program isn't exactly easy to get into. See below link for class statistics for class entering this fall -
http://pharmacy.creighton.edu/newpharmacyVer2/pharmacy/prospectivestudents.asp

Web-based pathway students - avg. GPA 3.42, average PCAT 86, 80% have a bachelor's degree.

I have already done the research on Creightons PharmD program and it is not very easy to get into.

Well i didnt do any research on Creighton thats just what i was told. Sorry! :( I have done research on Idaho State and the counselor that i talked to said that you didnt even have to have certain prereqs that they listed and only about a 2.5 gpa. It seems that they havent been filling the classes in the recent years.

how come in another thread tehy're saying that Idaho was hard to get into

Well i didnt do any research on Creighton thats just what i was told. Sorry! :( I have done research on Idaho State and the counselor that i talked to said that you didnt even have to have certain prereqs that they listed and only about a 2.5 gpa. It seems that they havent been filling the classes in the recent years.

Eh?? :scared: :confused: :eek:

I don't know who that you talked to, but it's not super easy to get into ISU. The average GPA of our class (2010) was almost a 3.7. At this point the application:acceptance ratio is about 10:1, less if you are from out of state. In addition, you must have completed at least 72 credits hours prior to admission, effectively making it more difficult for college sophomores to apply. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply, but in no way is ISU having a problem "filling the classes in the recent years." The 2.5 GPA that they list is the minimum GPA required, but I have met no one in my class that had a GPA below 3.0 (heck nobody below a 3.3), but I don't actually flat out ask people, so I could be misinformed. Most schools have a minimum GPA cut-off like this for just in case they miss a super-star that happens to have a poor GPA but is fantastic in other areas.

ISU is pushing, however, to become more and more selective - it's possible that you were told this for 3 reasons: 1) the admissions people are SUPER nice and they don't want to discourage anyone; 2) if they get more people to apply they can overinflate the application:acceptance ratio; and 3) Maybe, just maybe, ISU is trying to rely less heavily on GPA and wants to see the "whole package" before they make a decision. But as I mentioned before and have in a previous thread, GPA was the main criteria they've used for admissions decisions in the last few years. As to not having to complete your pre-reqs - that's wrong. They'll let you apply without having completed them, but you have to have them done before you actually start school. I was able to skirt one of these requirements - but only because I had taken a comparable, grad level course. Others may have also been able to make these substitutions - maybe that's what the admissions counselor was talking about.

I'm not saying that ISU is the best pharmacy school in the nation, but I happen to think it's pretty damn good and I'm glad that I'm going there. We have a rich history and despite being a small school in a podunk state, progressive things are happening here. Please don't bash schools that you really don't know anything about.

To the OP: You've really got to work to pull your GPA up. PharmMnM does make a good point - it only gets harder from here on out, and all pharmacy schools have a relatively tough course load (some tougher than others, of course). Make a stellar GPA this fall and next semester - maybe if you show just how good you can do under the correct circumstances admissions committees will give you a second look. Also, be sure to address in your personal statement the obstacles that you've had to overcome and how they've made you a stronger person and cemented your resolve to become a health care provider.

Just my $0.02 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh?? :scared: :confused: :eek:

I don't know who that you talked to, but it's not super easy to get into ISU. The average GPA of our class (2010) was almost a 3.7. At this point the application:acceptance ratio is about 10:1, less if you are from out of state. In addition, you must have completed at least 72 credits hours prior to admission, effectively making it more difficult for college sophomores to apply. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply, but in no way is ISU having a problem "filling the classes in the recent years." The 2.5 GPA that they list is the minimum GPA required, but I have met no one in my class that had a GPA below 3.0 (heck nobody below a 3.3), but I don't actually flat out ask people, so I could be misinformed. Most schools have a minimum GPA cut-off like this for just in case they miss a super-star that happens to have a poor GPA but is fantastic in other areas.

ISU is pushing, however, to become more and more selective - it's possible that you were told this for 3 reasons: 1) the admissions people are SUPER nice and they don't want to discourage anyone; 2) if they get more people to apply they can overinflate the application:acceptance ratio; and 3) Maybe, just maybe, ISU is trying to rely less heavily on GPA and wants to see the "whole package" before they make a decision. But as I mentioned before and have in a previous thread, GPA was the main criteria they've used for admissions decisions in the last few years. As to not having to complete your pre-reqs - that's wrong. They'll let you apply without having completed them, but you have to have them done before you actually start school. I was able to skirt one of these requirements - but only because I had taken a comparable, grad level course. Others may have also been able to make these substitutions - maybe that's what the admissions counselor was talking about.

I'm not saying that ISU is the best pharmacy school in the nation, but I happen to think it's pretty damn good and I'm glad that I'm going there. We have a rich history and despite being a small school in a podunk state, progressive things are happening here. Please don't bash schools that you really don't know anything about.

To the OP: You've really got to work to pull your GPA up. PharmMnM does make a good point - it only gets harder from here on out, and all pharmacy schools have a relatively tough course load (some tougher than others, of course). Make a stellar GPA this fall and next semester - maybe if you show just how good you can do under the correct circumstances admissions committees will give you a second look. Also, be sure to address in your personal statement the obstacles that you've had to overcome and how they've made you a stronger person and cemented your resolve to become a health care provider.

Just my $0.02 :D

Your response is valid. The only thing that I can do at this point is work hard and try to improve my gpa with the few courses that I have left. I am very aware of the competiveness of entering pharm school, but at the same time I hope the adcoms can see past the low gpa and see a person is who is willing/capable of learning.

I went back to college after 3 years to pursue pharmacy. At my old CC, my transfer GPA was 2.0. My pre-pharm GPA when I went back to school was 3.87, but after they are put together my overall GPA is 3.0. My composite score on PCAT is 85. I am currently a pharmacy tech. I am at a Mercer's Macon campus now working on my BS. I am really worried that I won't get in b/c of my transfer GPA. I have really good LOR from my pharmacists and chem professor, but I'm still concerned. Any thoughts?

I went back to college after 3 years to pursue pharmacy. At my old CC, my transfer GPA was 2.0. My pre-pharm GPA when I went back to school was 3.87, but after they are put together my overall GPA is 3.0. My composite score on PCAT is 85. I am currently a pharmacy tech. I am at a Mercer's Macon campus now working on my BS. I am really worried that I won't get in b/c of my transfer GPA. I have really good LOR from my pharmacists and chem professor, but I'm still concerned. Any thoughts?

Based on your pre-req gpa it seems like you have a better shot of getting accepted than I do. Even though your gpa from your transfer institution was low you made up for it in your pre-reqs. I have not one, but two low gpa's. 1st undergrad degree= 2.83 and pre-req gpa 2.75. This does not look good at all.

This may be a little off subject from my original post, but I was wondering what other possible career paths in health care could I follow with such a low gpa. Nursing definitely is not an option, I have no interest in it what-so-ever. I really don't want to do anything less than pharmacy.

Do you not qualify for the early admission program to Mercer's Atlanta campus since you are at Mercer Macon, or do you not want to go there??

FutureGaPharm, have you considered applying to South University in Savannah? I believe they accept people with slightly lower GPAs. As a general rule, if I were you, I'd look into applying to private schools. Good luck and don't stress! :)

Do you not qualify for the early admission program to Mercer's Atlanta campus since you are at Mercer Macon, or do you not want to go there??

I'm applying to Mercer, but you have to comlete all pre-pharmacy requirements in Macon to do the program where you automatically get in. As far as early admissions, you have to have a 3.5 GPA to apply. Supposedly, Mercer (Macon campus) students get an edge even if they didn't complete all requirements there. That is the reason I decided to go to Mercer this year, after I graduated from the CC. But, I also didn't expect to make an 85 PCAT score. My highest score last year was a 67. I'm also applying to South and a few out of state schools. South is where I really want to go, since it is a 3 year program. South's average PCAT this past year was a 73, Mercer's average was 86. All I can do is hope for the best...I wish everyone luck, b/c I know how difficult it is to get in. :luck:

FutureGaPharm, have you considered applying to South University in Savannah? I believe they accept people with slightly lower GPAs. As a general rule, if I were you, I'd look into applying to private schools. Good luck and don't stress! :)

Yes, I have considered south university and other private scholls. There are no state schools on my list.

This may be a little off subject from my original post, but I was wondering what other possible career paths in health care could I follow with such a low gpa. Nursing definitely is not an option, I have no interest in it what-so-ever. I really don't want to do anything less than pharmacy.

Future....I'm being absolutely upfront & honest when I ask you....why healthcare? Why pharmacy?

The reason is...that is exactly what the admissions folks will ask themselves.

You have stated, you haven't ever worked in your degree field, you are a teacher, altho not permanent & now want to change to pharmacy. What makes you think that will give you what the other careers did not?

Pharmacy education is an expensive venture. Even at private schools....you are not paying what it costs them to educate you. (Most healthcare schools get federal funding to offset what tuition doesn't cover). At this point...you don't appear to be a very good risk.

I'd honestly devote some time to becoming stable in your personal life. Then you can focus more on your education & future career goals. At this point...you seem to be grasping at anything.

Perhaps I'm wrong - forgive me if so.

Nursing really would not be an option, as you would need a higher GPA.

I'd agree with sdn1977. The admissions personnel are going to be seeing this:

2.75 prereq GPA (still have to complete the more difficult prereqs)
2.83 GPA in Telecommunications
No pharmacy experience
History of changing careers

If I were you I'd retake the prereqs and try to raise my GPA.

you may want to consider optometry school too. I've heard of people getting in with a sub 3.0 gpa. You would have to do very well on the OAT though and it is harder than the PCAT.

Future....I'm being absolutely upfront & honest when I ask you....why healthcare? Why pharmacy?

The reason is...that is exactly what the admissions folks will ask themselves.

You have stated, you haven't ever worked in your degree field, you are a teacher, altho not permanent & now want to change to pharmacy. What makes you think that will give you what the other careers did not?

Pharmacy education is an expensive venture. Even at private schools....you are not paying what it costs them to educate you. (Most healthcare schools get federal funding to offset what tuition doesn't cover). At this point...you don't appear to be a very good risk.

I'd honestly devote some time to becoming stable in your personal life. Then you can focus more on your education & future career goals. At this point...you seem to be grasping at anything.

Perhaps I'm wrong - forgive me if so.

Why Pharmacy?
I have a strong interest in drugs and the effects that they have on the human body. One of my strongest desires is to learn how drugs aid in treatment of diseases, to be more specific, cancer because I have had alot of relatives who died from this disease.

As far as my previous educational experience, I entered college straight out of high school with no formal guidance and picked any major because I wanted to get a college degree because no one else in my family has ever achieved that goal. Why Healthcare? The well being of others concerns me and I would like to be apart of a system that is suppose to help people to feel better.

Teaching is not my passion, I was in a situation where I needed employment and that was one of the few options that was available. There was no intention to make teaching a career, just a stepping stone to get me back on my feet. I do enjoy the children that I work with but my passion is health care. I do not have any formal work experience in a Pharmacy but I have shadowed Pharmacist and the work really does interest me. Volunteering in the ER of a hopsital for 1.5 year gave me an opportunity to explore whether healthcare was truly for me and it only heightened my interest.

Finally, I feel that you are incorrect when you stated that I am grasping to anything. Healthcare truly is my passion.

have you considered going to a Doctor of Osteopathy School? You are going to need to raise your G.P.A. some but if you can do above average on the MCAT you could likely get in.

If you really want to do Pharmacy you had better do all you can to bring your GPA up and ace the PCAT and also carefully research which schools you might be able to get into.

Another reason that I chose Pharmacy is because I want to educate people on the proper use of medication because I have witnessed the improper use of medications by people I know and the negative consequences due to a lack of knowledge of the drug and its effects.

have you considered going to a Doctor of Osteopathy School? You are going to need to raise your G.P.A. some but if you can do above average on the MCAT you could likely get in.

If you really want to do Pharmacy you had better do all you can to bring your GPA up and ace the PCAT and also carefully research which schools you might be able to get into.

No, I have not considered D O school. Thanks for the advice.

I think that you need a better/stronger reason for pursuing pharmacy. To be honest with you, your reasons are pretty generic. How many hours have you shadowed a pharmacist? Have you had any pharmacy-related experience in hospital and/or retail setting beside shadowing? If you need an employment, I would encourage you to try to get a position at some retail pharmacy. For pharmacy clerk, you basically do not need any prior training/certification and from my experience there are a lot of clerk positions out there (Walgreens, CVS/Sav-On, etc.). This way, not only will you have a good amount of exposure to pharmacy, but you will likely get a LOR from a pharmacist as well. I think with low stats, you need to show even more dedication to the field. Other than that, you will need to bring up your GPA as much as possible. Pharmacy is very competitive and you need every extra point you can get. Good luck...

I think that you need a better/stronger reason for pursuing pharmacy. To be honest with you, your reasons are pretty generic. How many hours have you shadowed a pharmacist? Have you had any pharmacy-related experience in hospital and/or retail setting beside shadowing? If you need an employment, I would encourage you to try to get a position at some retail pharmacy. For pharmacy clerk, you basically do not need any prior training/certification and from my experience there are a lot of clerk positions out there (Walgreens, CVS/Sav-On, etc.). This way, not only will you have a good amount of exposure to pharmacy, but you will likely get a LOR from a pharmacist as well. I think with low stats, you need to show even more dedication to the field. Other than that, you will need to bring up your GPA as much as possible. Pharmacy is very competitive and you need every extra point you can get. Good luck...

This is as honest as it gets. My reasons may be generic to you but deep down those are the reasons why I want to enter the Pharmacy Profession. As far as pharmacy experience goes, I am searching for a Pharm tech position but I have not landed anything yet. Thanks for your input.

This is as honest as it gets. My reasons may be generic to you but deep down those are the reasons why I want to enter the Pharmacy Profession. As far as pharmacy experience goes, I am searching for a Pharm tech position but I have not landed anything yet. Thanks for your input.

best wishes to you

This may be a little off subject from my original post, but I was wondering what other possible career paths in health care could I follow with such a low gpa. Nursing definitely is not an option, I have no interest in it what-so-ever. I really don't want to do anything less than pharmacy.,

What does that mean?? What do you consider "less" than pharmacy? Nursing? and what's "more" than pharmacy? MD? geez.

What does that mean?? What do you consider "less" than pharmacy? Nursing? and what's "more" than pharmacy? MD? geez.

Crying Moo you don't know the hierarchy? If you believed everything you read on SDN, it is:

MD>God>DO>DDS/DMD>Everybody else

But to the OP.. Hang in there, just work harder on the classes you aren't doing so well in. Is there anything affecting you and your classes right now? If it is something you can help, then fix it. (I know, that easy huh?)

I feel ya on the pharm tech thing, it took me 3 applications over 2 years to Walgreens to finally land a position. If you know anyone who is a pharmacist, network around. It seems to be the easiest way in.

Crying Moo you don't know the hierarchy? If you believed everything you read on SDN, it is:

MD>God>DO>DDS/DMD>Everybody else

But to the OP.. Hang in there, just work harder on the classes you aren't doing so well in. Is there anything affecting you and your classes right now? If it is something you can help, then fix it. (I know, that easy huh?)

I feel ya on the pharm tech thing, it took me 3 applications over 2 years to Walgreens to finally land a position. If you know anyone who is a pharmacist, network around. It seems to be the easiest way in.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. To answer your question in regards to what is affect me/classes: things have improved a whole (read original post), there are still a few issues that need to be worked out such as time to study and family issues, but for the most part everything is getting better.