2.7cGPA, 2.5 BCPM I need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaseme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many others, I looked at lots of threads.

Background info:
Final Senior Year at a decent college.
I have done research for 2 years at a Ivy research facility, and have recommendation letters from 2 different department chairs of the departments, one from immunology, and one from cardiology.
volunteered at VA for 1 summer.

decided to stray away from medicine and try computer science and business. Did investment banking intern for 1 summer, and ITS for next year, and still doing IT/Finance part time: about 50k~80k with bonus salary for the last 2 years while taking classes, so debts are almost all paid off. But I really don't want to stay with I'm doing, I want to actually legitimately help people instead of bull****ting people.

took all the basic science classes 2 years ago, and was very immature back then.

Start taking physics again after 2 year break, and got an GI infection, and went to the hospital for 3 weeks, hence the C right now (Had A).

I have taken:

Chem 1 (B), Chem 2(C), Orgo 1(C-), Orgo 2 (C)
Biology 1 (D+), and repeated Biology 1(B)

Currently taking Physics 2:
I am on track for getting a C or C+ : Should I withdraw? or keep this? (1 more test left: if I get 56-97, I get C. If I get 100, I get C+)

I want to apply for a post bac program / SMP to bring up this hideous GPA. Will they take me if I am missing Biology 2, and Physics 1?

What are my chances of getting into MD or DO in the next 6 years? Are there any hope?!

I have taken practice MCAT several times, gotten around 38-40 (kaplan and princeton review). *maybe hold off on this part: Will take official MCAT next year I think*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your first concern should be to figure out why you're scraping by with C's despite being capable of a top 1% MCAT score (if what you say is true). Do you really want to be a doctor? Are you willing to make the sacrifices to make education a top priority in your life? Something big is missing there.

After you figure that out, you need to take ALL prereqs and finish your bachelor's degree before enrolling in an SMP. Then, you need to actually do well in the SMP for it to help you. If you pull that off, you absolutely have a shot at MD or DO schools, especially if you can pull off an MCAT score like your practice tests.

I have taken:

I am on track for getting a C or C+ : Should I withdraw? or keep this?

I want to apply for a post bac program / SMP to bring up this hideous GPA. Will they take me if I am missing Biology 2, and Physics 1?

What are my chances of getting into MD or DO in the next 6 years? Are there any hope?!

I have taken practice MCAT several times, gotten around 38-40. Will take official MCAT next year I think.

I am confused. You are getting 38-40 on the MCAT practice tests but C's in all of your pre-req's?? It is all the same material.

I don't think an SMP would take you with that GPA..unless you did get a 38-40 on your MCAT then they might entertain the idea more. They have cut offs. If you want DO..drop the physics class you are sucking in now and retake it, retake chem 2, and retake both orgos and get A's. You NEED physics 1. If you check out websites of any med schools they have the minimum requirements listed..which includes 8 credits of physics with 2 credits of the 8 being lab. Retaking these classes should take you no more than a year.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have taken:

I am on track for getting a C or C+ : Should I withdraw? or keep this?

I have taken practice MCAT several times, gotten around 38-40. Will take official MCAT next year I think.

You sound like me in undergrad! You need to figure out why you are earning those grades. That trajectory, if continued, is a no-go. I spent 2 years after I graduated working in a science field just paying bills and honestly, I think I did some growing up. I started taking 2 classes a semester (classes that I had done poorly in in undergrad, Biochem and A gen bio class) I got A's and then I worked my way through some other classes. Once I had 8 classes with A's I applied to an SMP. The only way an SMP was possible for me was because I had that post UG record.

As far as what your chances are, I can't say. I am in the application process myself. That's just what I did. Applicants/Hopefuls like us have to know that we already dropped the ball once (big time) and can not do so again. It's a single elimination tournament from here on out.

SMPs will not take you without all of your Pre-reqs finished (that's what I've seen). As for what to do with your physics class, you need to decide how strong you can finish and go from there. Another C will not help you at this point. Your MCAT sounds excellent! Don't take it now, you are going to need more than 3 years to fix this and it will expire.

Again, I'm not a med student or an admissions official. My story just sounds a lot like yours and I have been living and breathing this stuff for the last four years. Just an opinion, my two cents! Good luck!

Your first concern should be to figure out why you're scraping by with C's despite being capable of a top 1% MCAT score (if what you say is true). Do you really want to be a doctor? Are you willing to make the sacrifices to make education a top priority in your life? Something big is missing there.

After you figure that out, you need to take ALL prereqs and finish your bachelor's degree before enrolling in an SMP. Then, you need to actually do well in the SMP for it to help you. If you pull that off, you absolutely have a shot at MD or DO schools, especially if you can pull off an MCAT score like your practice tests.

Scraped buncha C from 2 years ago because I never really focused on anything except making money. Now I'm getting older, I realize that the 20k/year I was making from part time jobs the first few years is sooo minuscule compared to what I CAN be making.

I am confused. You are getting 38-40 on the MCAT practice tests but C's in all of your pre-req's?? It is all the same material.

I don't think an SMP would take you with that GPA..unless you did get a 38-40 on your MCAT then they might entertain the idea more. They have cut offs. If you want DO..drop the physics class you are sucking in now and retake it, retake chem 2, and retake both orgos and get A's. You NEED physics 1. If you check out websites of any med schools they have the minimum requirements listed..which includes 8 credits of physics with 2 credits of the 8 being lab. Retaking these classes should take you no more than a year.

I have signed up for physics I at a community school for over the summer, and I think I can ace it, now that I'm actually focused and ready to do this whole career change again. So I should take classes non-matriculated for now and then apply for post bacc?

You sound like me in undergrad! You need to figure out why you are earning those grades. That trajectory, if continued, is a no-go. I spent 2 years after I graduated working in a science field just paying bills and honestly, I think I did some growing up. I started taking 2 classes a semester (classes that I had done poorly in in undergrad, Biochem and A gen bio class) I got A's and then I worked my way through some other classes. Once I had 8 classes with A's I applied to an SMP. The only way an SMP was possible for me was because I had that post UG record.

As far as what your chances are, I can't say. I am in the application process myself. That's just what I did. Applicants/Hopefuls like us have to know that we already dropped the ball once (big time) and can not do so again. It's a single elimination tournament from here on out.

SMPs will not take you without all of your Pre-reqs finished (that's what I've seen). As for what to do with your physics class, you need to decide how strong you can finish and go from there. Another C will not help you at this point. Your MCAT sounds excellent! Don't take it now, you are going to need more than 3 years to fix this and it will expire.

Again, I'm not a med student or an admissions official. My story just sounds a lot like yours and I have been living and breathing this stuff for the last four years. Just an opinion, my two cents! Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. I guess it just might take more than 3 years to fix this... :( I see what you mean by the whole single elimination.

The curve for the class is so strange. If i get 100 on the final, I will get a C+, if get a 54 on the final, I will still get a C. So in theory, I guess I should drop...

Forget "official" post-bac. Just start signing up for classes that are close to you and cheap and get A's. It is preferable to take them at a 4 year university if that is available. Also consider taking a few upper level bio courses to show you are interested in learning new stuff and can handle the harder material.

retake Orgo 1 and 2, as well as physics one and 2 for the DO grade replacement. That will clear all C's in your pre reqs. If you are smoking the MCAT you should be a shoe in with DO. If you can salvage your GPA to above 3.0 you could have a shot at MD. Not sure how you are getting 38 on MCAT but C's in pre-reqs?

Try to find out the easiest professor's some like to give grad level stuff that is ridiculously hard for exam material. I've had a professor who gave out 7 physics problems and the average student finished one or 2 problems.

Your numbers are auto-reject at all MD and most DO schools, so I would hold off on tajing the mCAT until you get your re-takes squared away. Drop the physics course...a C in a retake is NOT good.

The retakes will do wonders for DO schools, but an SMP is probably your best bet if you're gung-ho on the MD degree.

Best to check with specific post-bac programs as to their requirements.

Background info:
Final Senior Year at a decent college.
I have done research for 2 years at a Ivy research facility, and have recommendation letters from 2 different department chairs of the departments, one from immunology, and one from cardiology.
volunteered at VA for 1 summer.

decided to stray away from medicine and try computer science and business. Did investment banking intern for 1 summer, and ITS for next year, and still doing IT/Finance part time: about 50k~80k with bonus salary for the last 2 years while taking classes, so debts are almost all paid off. But I really don't want to stay with I'm doing, I want to actually legitimately help people instead of bull****ting people.

took all the basic science classes 2 years ago, and was very immature back then.

Start taking physics again after 2 year break, and got an GI infection, and went to the hospital for 3 weeks, hence the C right now (Had A).

I have taken:

I am on track for getting a C or C+ : Should I withdraw? or keep this? (1 more test left: if I get 56-97, I get C. If I get 100, I get C+)

I have taken practice MCAT several times, gotten around 38-40 (kaplan and princeton review). *maybe hold off on this part: Will take official MCAT next year I think*