2.8 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA, 29 MCAT, starting SMP this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woozy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'll be starting the RFU BMS program this fall to make up for my lousy GPA. At this point, I already know CMS is my best shot for medical school, but I'd like to apply to a few others as well. Could anybody help me compile a list of schools that would be receptive to my SMP performance?

CA resident (unfortunately). EC's are good, with an emphasis in community service (medical and non-medical). Good leadership, and clinical research with no publications. Great LOR's.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think with the 2.8 and low mcat you'll not get as much benefit from an SMP. You'll definitely have to get >3.8 to begin to be seen as a viable candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools like UCF can give you some mercy. Just give a good essay and secondary, and cross your fingers.

Thanks for the replies so far! I know I've got my work cut out for me, but at RFU we're encouraged to apply before the program starts because we are guaranteed interviews at the end of the year. The program was designed so that you can avoid a gap year if applying to CMS.

@Nihsel101 Thanks for the suggestion. Any other schools you can think of? I have a few schools in mind that I found on MDapps from other people in my situation. Just wondering if there were any others that would be a good idea to apply to as well.

Thanks for the replies so far! I know I've got my work cut out for me, but at RFU we're encouraged to apply before the program starts because we are guaranteed interviews at the end of the year. The program was designed so that you can avoid a gap year if applying to CMS.

@Nihsel101 Thanks for the suggestion. Any other schools you can think of? I have a few schools in mind that I found on MDapps from other people in my situation. Just wondering if there were any others that would be a good idea to apply to as well.

I would apply to any Florida school because they are slowly loosening up and looking for students who are committed to staying in there medical program for the full 4 years. In short, they are looking at a personal level. I talked to UCF and UF admissions multiple times when they came to my college to talk about the program and what they are looking for. Some private universities ok like UMiami, which they have a combination of MD programs. My cousin just got in to UMiami and is doing a MD/MPH right now as part of the 4 year medical program. He got a 3.2GPA and 34MCAT and Miami was the only school that accepted him.

I am in the same situation as you with 2.75GPA and going to take the MCAT this week. Pretty much I am taking a risk. If you are really passionate to go to MD like me, I would take all the risk and be persistent into getting in.

Do some research on schools you are interested in going and find out the types of programs they offer like MD/MPH, MD/MBA, MD/MS, etc.