2.8 GPA & 28 MCAT.... Accepted!! Keep hope alive!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined1985

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
God. is. great.

2.8 UG cGPA, 28Q, 4.0 SMP GPA (non-urm)

ACCEPTED!!!

Keep hope alive everyone!!

Basically, I was immature, unfocused and irresponsible throughout my first three years of college. At the end of my Junior year when I decided to really pursue medicine, I had a ~2.6 cGPA. I remember telling my friends and other pre-meds who literally laughed at the thought of me gaining acceptance into a US MD school. At that time, I asked my pre-med advisor if I had a shot at medical school. She answered "If I say 'no,' will you not pursue medicine? The moment you decide to stop pursuing medicine is the moment you don't have a shot at medical school." That was by far the best piece of advice I received in this journey to medicine.

I know and understand that I am extremely fortunate and lucky to have an acceptance, but I just want to share my story with others who may be discouraged. So to those out there who are not so confident (like I was), or are down when times get tough... I share with you this story. A friend of mine shared with me what he did to stay motivated while he was studying for the MCAT. He would say the following to himself: "If this is what you want, then f*cking do it." I started saying this to myself when I was studying during my SMP year... and it truly helped. Honestly, if this is what you want, then do it. No if's, and's or but's about it.

I am not here to give you false hope. It will take some time... I graduated in 5 years, did a 12-month SMP, and am now working at a Dermatology clinic as a Medical Assistant (for some students, I know it takes years of post-bacc or SMP coursework in order to prove themselves). So while "traditional" students started undergrad in the Fall of 2003 and will finish Med School in Spring of 2011... I, on the other hand, started undergrad in the Fall of 2003, graduated in the Fall of 2008, finished my Masters in the Summer of 2009, and will be starting medical school in the Fall of 2010.

Anyways, beyond the numbers, this is what I think worked for me. First, I had strong extracurricular activities (<-----MDapps) and and great letters of recs. However, I did not join clubs for the sake of activities/ resume builders. Rather, I found something I am passionate about, and gave it 100%. Then, I showed passion and drive in my personal statement, and how hard I was willing to work. Also, I demonstrated what kind of physician I will be (through activities) and also stated what kind of physician I will be (through my personal statement). i.e.- serve the underprivileged? research? academic medicine?

Right now I am sitting on one MD acceptance, with another MD interview in January. Trust me... this is two more interviews than I thought I would receive... ha!

Well... goodluck all to everyone, keep fighting the good fight, and remember: if this is what you want, then f*cking do it.

Also, if any of you have questions... feel free to PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's always great to hear stories like these. Too few and far between.

Go get 'em, kid.

nice story. very encouraging.
congrats on your acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
...if the school mcat average is a 32, then there's a 36 for every 28. if 30, then 26 for every 34....or if you really want to stretch it....15 for every 45(this one probably doesnt happen).

These stories are always fantastic to hear! Congrats, OP.

Congrats!! Thank you for sharing your story!

haha i thought your post was so funny. good job man!

can i ask what smp you went to?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats. as hard as you try to sell yourself short, you must be a remarkable individual to have gotten in. sometimes in the presence of people like you i wonder if i deserve to be accepted.

Great advice! Congrats! I need to stick to this whenever I start slacking :|

...if the school mcat average is a 32, then there's a 36 for every 28. if 30, then 26 for every 34....or if you really want to stretch it....15 for every 45(this one probably doesnt happen).
I don't think that's how means work :rolleyes:

CONGRATS to the OP! Rock on. I hope this thread gets bumped every cycle to remind people "where there's a will, there's a way!"

Way to f*cking do it! :)

grats, it's nice to hear a success story. SDN is sometimes a very depressing and scary forum :p

Good for you!

Thank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was beginning to show their doubts in my goal.

:DThank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was beginning to show their doubts in my goal.

Thank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was beginning to show their doubts in my goal.

Thank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was even beginning to doubt my goal in becoming a medical doctor.

Thank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was even beginning to doubt my goal in becoming a medical doctor.

I don't want to spoil your little encouragement booster, but such instances are exceedingly rare. Hence the whole thread. How many other matriculants with these stats and circumstances do you see?

:DThank you so much for this post! I was on my last leg here, my family was beginning to show their doubts in my goal.
im beginning to doubt your goal too, who posts the same thing 5 times and spells hopeful wrong in username =p.

Congratulations on your acceptance! :) times infinity!

Congratulations! So happy for you!

What SMP program did you complete?

haha i thought your post was so funny. good job man!

can i ask what smp you went to?

Congratulations! So happy for you!

What SMP program did you complete?

Thanks everyone! I went to an SMP in Mississippi, receiving my Master of Science in Medical Sciences; Mississippi College, a small, private, Christian school (definitely a less well-known program, but legit, nonetheless). I'm a huge advocate of this program, so if you don't mind, here are my two cents:

Mississippi College- I could not have asked for a better experience/ education. The environment provided by the Dean, professors, and students in the program is so conducive to learning. We don't take any courses with med school students (because the only med school in Mississippi is Ole Miss Univ.), but the Dean of the SMP is an adjunct Gross Anatomy Professor at Ole Miss Medical School. Also, one of our professors is an MD who went to Ole Miss Med School. But basically, with all their credentials, the professors give us the exact same material that they teach at the medschool (we use the exact same books, the difficulty of our exams and quizzes are just as hard). For the most part, we take most of the courses taught during M1 (gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, histology, medical physiology, biochemistry, embryology) and even M2 (pharmacology I and II). At first I was a little skeptical about the program/ school/ location, but when I arrived, I realized that there are students from all over the nation and from extremely good schools, too in the Master's program (in my year alone, the following were represented: Vanderbilt, Emory, NYU, Duke, Berkley, Univ. of Chicago, UCLA, UCDavis, UCIrvine, Baylor, Notre Dame, and many Big Ten Schools). More importantly, from the kids in my year of the program (fall of 2008-spring/summer of 2009), there are interview invites/ acceptances to medical/ dental schools from all over the nation as well (tufts, tulane, univ of iowa, nyu, indiana, loyola, michigan state, SUNY, drexel, creighton, UNLV, st. louis univ, mizzou, minnesota, meharry, mississippi, alabama). So it just goes to show that you don't need to spend $40,000 on some bigname program...

Last edited:
Threads like this give hope to students like myself who have less than stellar grades and might be doubtful about pursuing a career in medicine. You are another example of what can happen with a little bit of hard work, perseverance and dedication. Thank you for sharing and congratulations :)

God. is. great.

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Basically, I was immature, unfocused and irresponsible throughout my first three years of college. At the end of my Junior year when I decided to really pursue medicine, I had a ~2.6 cGPA. I remember telling my friends and other pre-meds who literally laughed at the thought of me gaining acceptance into a US MD school. At that time, I asked my pre-med advisor if I had a shot at medical school. She answered "If I say 'no,' will you not pursue medicine? The moment you decide to stop pursuing medicine is the moment you don't have a shot at medical school." That was by far the best piece of advice I received in this journey to medicine.

I know and understand that I am extremely fortunate and lucky to have an acceptance, but I just want to share my story with others who may be discouraged. So to those out there who are not so confident (like I was), or are down when times get tough... I share with you this story. A friend of mine shared with me what he did to stay motivated while he was studying for the MCAT. He would say the following to himself: "If this is what you want, then f*cking do it." I started saying this to myself when I was studying during my SMP year... and it truly helped. Honestly, if this is what you want, then do it. No if's, and's or but's about it.

I am not here to give you false hope. It will take some time... I graduated in 5 years, did a 12-month SMP, and am now working at a Dermatology clinic as a Medical Assistant (for some students, I know it takes years of post-bacc or SMP coursework in order to prove themselves). So while "traditional" students started undergrad in the Fall of 2003 and will finish Med School in Spring of 2011... I, on the other hand, started undergrad in the Fall of 2003, graduated in the Fall of 2008, finished my Masters in the Summer of 2009, and will be starting medical school in the Fall of 2010.

Anyways, beyond the numbers and great letters of recs, this is what I think worked for me. First, I had strong extracurricular activities (<-----MDapps). However, I did not join clubs for the sake of activities/ resume builders. Rather, I found something I am passionate about, and gave it 100%. Then, I showed passion and drive in my personal statement, and how hard I was willing to work. Also, I demonstrated what kind of physician I will be (through activities) and also stated what kind of physician I will be (through my personal statement). i.e.- serve the underprivileged? research? academic medicine?

Right now I am sitting on one MD acceptance, with another MD interview in January. Trust me... this is two more interviews than I thought I would receive... ha!

Well... goodluck all to everyone, keep fighting the good fight, and remember: if this is what you want, then f*cking do it.

Also, if any of you have questions... feel free to PM me! God Bless!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: on your hard work and perseverance! You certainly deserve it if you worked this hard for it!

Hey OP, I wasn't happy about your GB Packers comment written on your MDApp page :mad:

Otherwise, Congrats! Your story is inspirational, and good luck in medical school! :thumbup:

Can't help but to point out the obvious....you are wrong in your assumption.

Can't help but to point out the obvious....you are wrong in your assumption.

Excellent job bringing a thread that is over 7 months old back to life just to tell somebody that they are wrong. Very insightful and more importantly, very pertinent.

"If I say 'no,' will you not pursue medicine? The moment you decide to stop pursuing medicine is the moment you don't have a shot at medical school."

"If this is what you want, then f*cking do it."

I'm glad this thread was bumped or else I would've missed out
very inspirational:)

I'll definitely keep those lines in mind from now on

Congratulations! Everyone I've ever spoken to LOVES MSU medical school.

Super inspiring! I wish more people had the guts you did, congrats!!

God. is. great.

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Anyways, beyond the numbers, this is what I think worked for me. First, I had strong extracurricular activities (<-----MDapps) and and great letters of recs. However, I did not join clubs for the sake of activities/ resume builders. Rather, I found something I am passionate about, and gave it 100%. Then, I showed passion and drive in my personal statement, and how hard I was willing to work. Also, I demonstrated what kind of physician I will be (through activities) and also stated what kind of physician I will be (through my personal statement). i.e.- serve the underprivileged? research? academic medicine?

Also, if any of you have questions... feel free to PM me! God Bless!

Which SMP program did you attend?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuBMfo9ApI8[/YOUTUBE]

Congratulations, quite an accomplishment! I hope you remember to celebrate it!

Congratulations, quite an accomplishment! I hope you remember to celebrate it!

This thread is about 3 years old. Someone decided to give it a mega bump yesterday.