2.9 cGPA Chem BS + getting MS. Chances of MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatsleepmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy y'all!

I have a close friend who is starting his path towards medicine. Unfortunately, he has a low GPA (2.9). There is an upward trend (last 2 years were 3.5-4.0 terms) after he eventually found a major he liked and stuck w/ it (chemistry).

He has recently got into a 2 year thesis-based molecular bio masters program and would like to eventually apply for medical school.

Does he have a chance if he continues on w/3.5 + terms?
What is the least he should he aim for on MCAT to balance out his low BS-gpa?
Will continuing the upward trend of grades be enough to overlook his first 3 years of college grades?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Has he thought about DO schools?

I dont think he has-- at this time I think he is mainly trying for an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna happen. That undergrad GPA is way too low he would probably be better to do a post bacc instead of a masters

Reactions: 1 user
Lol 2.9 and wants MD. Maybe in the Caribbean

IMO, he needs a SMP program if he wants to go MD; A thesis based Master's program won't be nearly as helpful (if at all, frankly).

He needs a pretty massive MCAT score (35+) because his undergrad GPA is incredibly low for MD applicants.

He should think about DO since it'll be an easier fix; He's rather foolish if he is only going to apply to MD programs because he did major damage to his GPA during his undergraduate career.

He is >3 years away from even applying, guys. Nowhere near close to r/o any kinds of med-programs-- obvi.

He doesnt really know anything about DO, which is why he's asking about MD. And the masters is free, which is why it was picked over the SMP.

But thanks for the MCAT estimates.

The problem is that masters GPA doesn't change his crappy undergrad GPA.

The problem is that masters GPA doesn't change his crappy undergrad GPA.

Exactly. While he's not wasting resources since the program is free, he is wasting time that could be spent towards improving his undergraduate GPA. He will be immediately screened out with a GPA below 3.0 for both DO and MD programs regardless of his MCAT score.

Personally, I believe that he would be screened out for MD programs with a GPA below 3.2 regardless of what he does in his MS program and if he scores a 38+ on the MCAT. Therefore, MCAT estimates are useless since he will never pass the screening process given his undergraduate GPA.

A high MCAT won't rescue a low GPA even with the good MS performance. MD AdComs have a low opinion of thesis/research based MS programs. Concur witht he idea that a SMP or post-bac program is in order for MD schools, along with a high MCAT score. Your friend will have betetr luck with DO programs. He should retake any F/D/C science coursework, and that alone might suffice.

IMO, he needs a SMP program if he wants to go MD; A thesis based Master's program won't be nearly as helpful (if at all, frankly).

He needs a pretty massive MCAT score (35+) because his undergrad GPA is incredibly low for MD applicants.

He should think about DO since it'll be an easier fix; He's rather foolish if he is only going to apply to MD programs because he did major damage to his GPA during his undergraduate career.[/quote]

He is >3 years away from even applying, guys. Nowhere near close to r/o any kinds of med-programs-- obvi.

He doesnt really know anything about DO, which is why he's asking about MD. And the masters is free, which is why it was picked over the SMP.

But thanks for the MCAT estimates.
Unlikely that he will get an acceptance anywhere in the US for MD schools with that GPA. He sounds like he is pretty set on it though so maybe after an unsuccessful round of apps he will apply DO. The DO degree is a great option so maybe your friend should learn more about it. Despite what you might find on here, it is not a lesser degree. It is harder to obtain competitive MD residencies, but that's about it. Good luck with everything!

A few med schools are said to consider graduate GPAs somewhat (i.e., just more than the typical med school)... but just a handful, and it's nothing you can count on. I was in a similar boat as your friend, except my undergrad cGPA was even lower (<2.7) and I already had two master's degrees that I knew wouldn't help my case (despite 3.68 and 4.00 GPAs), when I became interested in medicine, just because undergraduate GPA is such the focus for MD admissions. (My undergrad GPA had a strong but late upward trend, in which I finally made Dean's List one term and thereafter never got anything but As and Bs, but the problem was some Cs and a couple of Ds were already in from the first 2 years.)

So I put 3 years into an informal post-bacc, earning a 3.99 for the post-bacc (and, finally, pulling the cumulative undergrad GPA above 3.0), scored a 35 on the MCAT, racked up over 1000 hrs volunteering in healthcare, plus gained multiple, other paid clinical experiences, and... am still not likely to get into an MD program. I interviewed at two places though, this cycle. And if I don't get into anywhere yet again (this is my second cycle applying) then I should apply to DO schools too next time. Bottom line: It's not impossible, but, there's a lot to prove. You have to be 200% in. And it's not just about the numbers, but experiences/activities, and demonstrated/demonstrable motivation via essays, interview and LOEs, and the sensible selection of MD / DO programs to which you apply.

I would not be aiming for a 3.5+ grades hereafter but 4.0. In my experience, despite wanting to believe otherwise, a high MCAT does not really "balance out" a low GPA; it only makes it possible for some programs to consider your application in spite of your low GPA.

The MS program isn't a horrible idea in itself. Mine was also funded, and I did it because I was interested in the science. You friend should pursue it if s/he is sincerely interested in the program! But s/he should also realize what it can and cannot do for one's med school admissions prospects; e.g., it doesn't help the undergraduate GPA, but can still yield clout via publications, experience, and LOEs. Or maybe s/he will discover an interest in doing a Ph.D. instead. For me, I enjoyed the life of a research scientist, produced publications, attended conferences, and gained valuable research and teaching experience. It didn't/doesn't help my MD admissions prospects directly but it did help make me into a "real" scientist, which I strongly feel would make me a better physician. However, if your friend's goal is to improve his med school credentials, a post-bacc or SMP, as others suggest, would be the more appropriate investment.

Reactions: 1 users