2.9 GPA, 32 MCAT, CA resident, need help with school selection please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input would be appreciated!

2.88 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA, GPA pretty low due to having too much fun freshman and sophomore year of college. Did a postbac with a 3.9 sGPA over the past year to try and make up for that. Also, due to repeat class forgiveness my AACOMAS GPA's are higher, with a 3.35 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA

Submitted AMCAS application 7/3 (still waiting on verification) and submitted AACOMAS application today.

32 MCAT. Strong EC's (except NO RESEARCH) and strong letters. CA resident, so of course applying to most of the UC's (minus UCSF and UCSD) as well as loma linda and USC.

Besides those schools applying to:
George Washington
Georgetown
Howard
Emroy or Tufts
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Univ of Illinois
Univ of Iowa
Tulane
Uniformed Services
Boston University
Michigan State
St. Louis Univ or Albert Einstein
Creighton
Albany
New York Medical College
Univ of Cincinnati
Drexel
Pennsylvania State
Temple
Meharry
Cornell- high reach
Duke- high reach
Univ of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Medical College of Wisconsin
UND- went to high school in North Dakota, thinking I might have a good chance.

ANY input would be great! My list of schools is pretty long, don't want to be too overwhelmed with costs and secondaries, but also would rather apply to 35 schools than have to do this again next year...Also, I am applying to DO schools as well as 2 Caribbean schools.

Please let me know if you think I should be applying to a school that I don't have on my list, or if there is a school I shouldn't even bother applying to. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I would say that your strong for DO schools. However since MD schools offer very little forgiveness.. I'd tell you to apply to 10 or so DO schools and call it a day.

MD is a crap shot, apply at your own discretion. I think with a year in a post-bacc with a great GPA you might impress MD schools slightly. But if you're interested in highly competitive residencies some day, it might be wise to go for a SMP ( I believe if you did well in your post-bacc you're smart enough to succeed in the SMP).

Good luck.

P.S don't bother applying to Carib schools. You're too good for them.

Well I would say that your strong for DO schools. However since MD schools offer very little forgiveness.. I'd tell you to apply to 10 or so DO schools and call it a day.

MD is a crap shot, apply at your own discretion. I think with a year in a post-bacc with a great GPA you might impress MD schools slightly. But if you're interested in highly competitive residencies some day, it might be wise to go for a SMP ( I believe if you did well in your post-bacc you're smart enough to succeed in the SMP).

Good luck.

P.S don't bother applying to Carib schools. You're too good for them.

Thanks, I am applying to about 10 DO schools, just waiting to finalize the list with my counselor...
Do you think the MD schools I have listed are even worth a shot? I am hoping my MCAT score, postbac GPA, and EC's will help them see past by 2.88 sGPA...

Thanks, I am applying to about 10 DO schools, just waiting to finalize the list with my counselor...
Do you think the MD schools I have listed are even worth a shot? I am hoping my MCAT score, postbac GPA, and EC's will help them see past by 2.88 sGPA...

Honestly I don't know. It's very difficult to say, you're likely to be in the bottom 10% of most of those schools. However from what I see most schools do look favorably to post-bacc improvements. But its still difficult to say. If we look just in terms of Under graduate gpa, then I would say you're not going to be in a good position for any. However if we just look at the improvements in your post-bacc and good mcat, you have a chance.

Either way I would say that many MD schools on your list and in general will not look very favorable upon you. But it's always worth a try! Sometimes an Adcom might really forgive your grades if you do the interview well and explain yourself.