2.9 GPA what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay bear with me, I am READY to go to medical school for the fall 2015 year, I have not applied yet, I have not taken the mcats yet (I plan on taking them in November.

My undergraduate GPA at the 4 year college I attended is 2.9 my science GPA 2.8. I majored in Biochemistry and minored in women studies. I am a woman and a URM who is bilingual, and first generation american. I took around 90 credits there.
Here are the Grades I received in some of my science courses:

Physics 1 and 2 (both with labs) C+
Organic chemistry 1 B-
Organic chemistry lab C+
Organic chemistry 2 B
Molecular Biology C+
P Chem B
Genetics B-
Biochemistry 1 B-
Biochemistry lab C
Biochemistry 2 C
Microbiology A-
Cell signaling B-
I took two more science classes and received a grade of P because I choose a pass or not pass option in those courses A P means I passed.
Evolution(P)
Pharmacology (P)
I have 3 Withdrawals for an upper division level calculus course, because it was ridiculously hard! but I needed it for my major.

I also went to a Junior college and received my associates. The GPA that I received at this college was not calculated into the cumgpa for my undergraduate degree, even though all my credits were transferred to the school.

The overall GPA at the Junior college I attended was 3.7, my science gpa 3.9 ( I took around 66 credits)
Here are the grades for some of the science courses that I took at my Junior college

Biology 1, 2, and lab A
Gen chem 1 A
Gen chem 2 and Gen chem lab C+
Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 A

I have no clinical experience I have some EC.

Someone help me out because I feel like medical school is my calling, my reason for applying is personal and very dear to my heart.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got accepted into a masters program ( I will be done in one year).
I do not want to wait to apply until next year for medical school. I am more than ready to attend!
After skimming through the MCATS I think I could achieve a score above 30.

You cannot apply this cycle and take the MCAT in November. Most schools do not accept scores taken after September.

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot apply this cycle and take the MCAT in November. Most schools do not accept scores taken after September.
Thank you but I will be 27 in that cycle and feel like its way too old! I already feel like a grandma, I want to specialize and get my PHD during medical school.

I also went to a Junior college and received my associates. The GPA that I received at this college was not calculated into the cumgpa for my undergraduate degree, even though all my credits were transferred to the school.

I don't see how your CC credits would be accepted by your university, but the gpa from said CC would not. If the classes you passed were accepted by the second institution, then they would take the assigned letter grades that came with them; otherwise, you'd have 2 years of gpa on a 4 year degree.

You might need to DIY post-bacc, etc.; I'll leave the nuances of those plans to the adcoms.

With a 2.9, you'll really need a mid 30 MCAT, so take as long as possible (you have up to Jan. 23) to get that down. This means you'll need to apply next cycle. And start volunteering ASAP in the weekends.

I don't see how your CC credits would be accepted by your university, but the gpa from said CC would not. If the classes you passed were accepted by the second institution, then they would take the assigned letter grades that came with them; otherwise, you'd have 2 years of gpa on a 4 year degree.]

Yeah they said that I would start with a fresh GPA, my grades would be noted on the official transcript but will not be counted towards my gpa

Yeah they said that I would start with a fresh GPA, my grades would be noted on the official transcript but will not be counted towards my gpa

That leads me to believe that they were referencing your gpa at that particular school. Ex. your institutional gpa would be separate from your cumulative gpa when looking at your transcript while still being an upper-level student (for ease of understanding).

Al grades after high school must be sent to AMCAS and will count toward the gpa we see in an MD application. You might want to use the sticky above to calculate your AMCAS and AACOMAS gpa's.

Reactions: 1 user
what do you mean by this? My racial background?
You indicated that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine. Depending in the group you represent, your school list and the advice we give would vary.

retake a few C grades and get an A.....it will do wonders for your gpa in a DO application

don't trust your gut on the MCAT.....take the free emcat and it will give you a range for your current knowledge

I think you need to consider that your grades will make an immediate entry into a PhD/MD program impossible

Thank you but I will be 27 in that cycle and feel like its way too old! I already feel like a grandma, I want to specialize and get my PHD during medical school.

27 is definitely not too old!
You seem to be dead set on applying this cycle (you've made several posts about it today), but you can't if you take the MCAT before 9/15 (which is the cutoff date for many MD schools) and even then you will be at a huge disadvantage due to applying late.
If I were you, I would study and take the 2014 MCAT and then apply next cycle. You will have to kill it if you want to enter an MD/PhD program with a ~2.9 GPA. In the meantime, get some clinical experience to show you actually enjoy the medical field. Also have you considered DO?
Good luck!

You indicated that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine. Depending in the group you represent, your school list and the advice we give would vary.
My parents are from Togo, I am black and first generation american.

My parents are from Togo, I am black and first generation american.
If you break 3.0 and get at least 26 on the MCAT, you have a shot at the HBCU's and 3 of the 4 Puerto Rican schools, next cycle (not MSTP, though)..

Last edited by a moderator:
You have yet to demonstrate that you are ready for medical school.

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s, so 27 is a spring chicken.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework. Strong performance in a SMP or post-bac work might be demonstrative of your true abilities.

MD/PhD programs take only highly competitive applicants (>3.75 GPA, MCAT 35+).

Have you taken any practice MCATs?

Okay bear with me, I am READY to go to medical school for the fall 2015 year, I have not applied yet, I have not taken the mcats yet (I plan on taking them in November.

My undergraduate GPA at the 4 year college I attended is 2.9 my science GPA 2.8. I majored in Biochemistry and minored in women studies. I am a woman and a URM who is bilingual, and first generation american. I took around 90 credits there.
Here are the Grades I received in some of my science courses:

Physics 1 and 2 (both with labs) C+
Organic chemistry 1 B-
Organic chemistry lab C+
Organic chemistry 2 B
Molecular Biology C+
P Chem B
Genetics B-
Biochemistry 1 B-
Biochemistry lab C
Biochemistry 2 C
Microbiology A-
Cell signaling B-
I took two more science classes and received a grade of P because I choose a pass or not pass option in those courses A P means I passed.
Evolution(P)
Pharmacology (P)
I have 3 Withdrawals for an upper division level calculus course, because it was ridiculously hard! but I needed it for my major.

The overall GPA at the Junior college I attended was 3.7, my science gpa 3.9 ( I took around 66 credits)
Here are the grades for some of the science courses that I took at my Junior college

Biology 1, 2, and lab A
Gen chem 1 A
Gen chem 2 and Gen chem lab C+
Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 A

I have no clinical experience I have some EC.

Someone help me out because I feel like medical school is my calling, my reason for applying is personal and very dear to my heart.

Reactions: 2 users
There's no way you're getting into an MD/PhD program, sorry.

Reactions: 6 users
When a science GPA<3.0, adcoms might not want to admit you not so much because your URM status doesn't make your competitive..... but because statistically you are at risk of failing/repeating med school. You may want to re-think your goals.

@Fete, you sound generally confused regarding medical school admissions. I recommend using the search function of this website/reading through past threads/Googling etc. to learn more about the process.

Tough love: your GPA's are too low for any MD school. I suppose the historically black schools may give you a shot if you do well on the MCAT (27+) and bump your GPA's up.

After skimming through the MCATS I think I could achieve a score above 30.
How can you be confident that you can achieve such a high score even though you have such a low sGPA?

I'd advise you to focus on retaking a bunch of classes and aim for mostly osteopathic medical schools. Then, if you happen to do well in these classes and your AMCAS GPA's are 3.0+, and you also happen to do well on the MCAT, apply to the HBC's. Still, look to apply to mostly DO schools.