2.92 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 43R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna have to bump this because wow, because thats a sexy MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

it's beautiful!

where did rabbit end up at?

lol. that is some crazy and weird scores.
ur app looks much a billion times better than mine with the 43.... one in a million.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get an SD of 6.6? That means the ppl scoring 35 are about 1 SD above the mean, and approx. in the 82nd percentile.

a 35 would be ~95th percentile according to AAMC MCAT book, and 28.1 for the mean and 5.6 for std deviation. This is for 2008 applicants, not the overall pool of test takers, I was always told 25 is the average for takers.

How did you get an SD of 6.6? That means the ppl scoring 35 are about 1 SD above the mean, and approx. in the 82nd percentile.

The data being used are NOT representative of all test takers. Those data are representative only of actual applicants. I don't have the data in front of me ATM, but they are more along the lines of X=24, SD=6.6. The average matriculant score is almost an entire SD above the mean MCAT score and the OP is close to Z=+3, which would be about 1 in 1,000 IIRC.

The data being used are NOT representative of all test takers. Those data are representative only of actual applicants. I don't have the data in front of me ATM, but they are more along the lines of X=24, SD=6.6. The average matriculant score is almost an entire SD above the mean MCAT score and the OP is close to Z=+3, which would be about 1 in 1,000 IIRC.

My point was ChemEng's calculations and numbers were either incorrect or too ambiguous. If 28 is the avg for applicants, and 6.6 is the correct spread for the distribution applicants' scores, then the OP is 11,000 out of a million applicants (when ignoring the writing sample) .

I would think 43's are even rarer among all test takers than among applicants because many lower scoring test-takers do not apply. OP could very well be 1000 out of a million test-takers based on some crude statistics.

Last edited:
My point was ChemEng's calculations and numbers were either incorrect or too ambiguous. If 28 is the avg for applicants, and 6.6 is the correct spread for the distribution applicants' scores, then the OP is 11,000 out of a million applicants (when ignoring the writing sample) .

I would think 43's are even rarer among all test takers than among applicants because many lower scoring test-takers do not apply. OP could very well be 1000 out of a million test-takers based on some crude statistics.

the 6.6 is wrong for applicants as well, according to the AAMC MCAT book its 5.6. Not a huge difference, and most likely just a typo went citing his source.

WELL DONE. Wow that's impressive...Gives hope to the rest of us! Good work!

This is the SDN here. I'm assuming higher standards. I took out the obvious fail from the data set.

My original point is that its not 1 out of a million. Statistics is always a prediction with a certain error, its never perfect anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
My original point is that its not 1 out of a million. Statistics is always a prediction with a certain error, its never perfect anyways.

"One out of a million" was being used as an idiomatic phrase, and I don't believe the user meant it literally.

After just finishing up a semester of stats, I've learned that statistical methods are most meaningful when applied with the right assumptions. With the numbers and distribution you were using, I am not sure if you can use your method to estimate how many ppl score 43 and above. :p

"One out of a million" was being used as an idiomatic phrase, and I don't believe the user meant it literally.

The internet is serious business, everything should be meant literally.

I got past the screen at a lot of places with automatic gpa cutoffs, and my numbers are nowhere near this.

Apply broadly. Very broadly. Throw in a few DO schools. They like the non-traditional salvages.

Look also at Drexel, Tulane, Eastern Virginia, and Jefferson Medical College. All are big non-trad schools.

Posted via Mobile Device

WHY in the name of god would you apply to a DO school with a 43 MCAT? I'm sorry but that is just absurd...

why not? i mean he applied to 15 and got into 1. i think he would recommend others in a similar situation to apply even more broadly

OP: when you do apply, if you're not getting a secondary, go ahead and mail the dean of admissions to the schools that aren't showing you some love. Explain your situation in a strong cover letter and hopefully you'll get some extra attention.

OP: when you do apply, if you're not getting a secondary, go ahead and mail the dean of admissions to the schools that aren't showing you some love. Explain your situation in a strong cover letter and hopefully you'll get some extra attention.

You realize he applied 3 years ago right?

From the looks of it, OP is already attending UConn school of medicine (class of 2014?), but your advice is universal and appreciated nonetheless :D

You realize he applied 3 years ago right?

HA HA HA! No I didn't! Wow, I never thought I'd be the guy to resurrect one of these threads. But yeah, maybe it's good to be resurrected to give perspective to people applying this cycle.

6+ years later I've happened across this, and as much as it turns my stomach to resurrect such an old thread, I thought I'd give a final update for a bit of perspective.

Once into med school, it really was a fresh start, and I had every chance to show myself. 6 years out, I'm a resident in a field I love, at my top choice in what is universally considered one of the top 3 programs in the country. My 2.9 college GPA is a whisper in my past, a good story at cocktail parties, and a part of my character, but never a hindrance. Once my school took a chance on me, my destiny was mine to write. Just wanted to let people know that no single metric will necessarily make you a lost cause, even to eventually enter into an elite program. The best thing about medical schools is that there is always a secret crack in the back door, no matter how small, because the intangibility of what makes a great doctor has to leave room for those who don't fit the mold. By no means is this a likely story, but not an impossible one.

Reactions: 28 users
6+ years later I've happened across this, and as much as it turns my stomach to resurrect such an old thread, I thought I'd give a final update for a bit of perspective.

Once into med school, it really was a fresh start, and I had every chance to show myself. 6 years out, I'm a resident in a field I love, at my top choice in what is universally considered one of the top 3 programs in the country. My 2.9 college GPA is a whisper in my past, a good story at cocktail parties, and a part of my character, but never a hindrance. Once my school took a chance on me, my destiny was mine to write. Just wanted to let people know that no single metric will necessarily make you a lost cause, even to eventually enter into an elite program. The best thing about medical schools is that there is always a secret crack in the back door, no matter how small, because the intangibility of what makes a great doctor has to leave room for those who don't fit the mold. By no means is this a likely story, but not an impossible one.

holy cow, this post just gave me chills. you were such an inspiration for me when I was in the same boat with my grades, and you inspired me to keep track of my turnaround in what has become one of the more popular comeback story threads. your story helped me to believe it was possible, and I partially owe my success to your comeback.

it was awesome to get this update, and I almost feel like I just got some closure haha, I've been subscribed to this thread literally for years. glad to hear you're doing so extremely well, and I hope to have a similar final post in my comeback thread in a few years, but one day at a time. best wishes

Last edited: