2.94 science 3.18 cGPA 28 MCAT any chances at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandman192799229

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So those are my stats 2.94 science 3.18 cGPA 28(8 in Physical sciences, 10 on rest) MCAT. Do I have any chances at DO schools? I have been running my own business while in school (had to to support the family) which took way too much time away from school.

My ECs include 150 hours of shadowing (Internal medicine, Cardiologist, and one CABG procedure). Also about 80 hours through my High School where they put us under a different person/job every week (Clinic, Lab, Cardiologist, ER, etc). I also have an additional 130 hours of volunteering in Clinics and Hospitals overseas. I do have some other volunteer hours but thats more stuff to do with my Mosque and I was the President of the Muslim Student Association (which might hurt more than help lol).

Do I have any shot at all at DO schools if I apply REALLY broadly?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at my school, and I am not sanguine about your chances except at the newest schools. Suggest retaking all F/D/C science coursework and work on time mgt.

Do I have any shot at all at DO schools if I apply REALLY broadly?[/QUOTE]

Retaking a couple Cs right now. I am done with my degree in the fall. I actually have applied, just wanted to see what you guys thought. I applied to all the schools just in case. Have filled out 10 secondaries so far.

More than likely it wont work but I'm hoping for the best. Also come January I was thinking of applying to programs like Nova Masters etc where if you do well you're granted Med School acceptance next year. I know my GPA is very low but aren't those programs for students with low stats anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really suggest re-taking classes. I graduated out of college with a 2.5/2.3 GPA. I spent the last year re-taking classes (about 30 credits) and pushed it up to about a 3.2 with the DO forgiveness policy. I'd say spend a year re-taking and see how high you can take your GPA up to.

Grade forgiveness only consider for Ds and Fs. I would focus on those. C are consider passing grade, which could mean you learn some, but not all. Check with your school academic advising about the rules of grade forgiveness.

Grade forgiveness only consider for Ds and Fs. I would focus on those. C are consider passing grade, which could mean you learn some, but not all. Check with your school academic advising about the rules of grade forgiveness.

Really? @Goro always suggests retaking C/D/F for grade replacement.

Grade replacement is a AACOMAS policy, and affects your GPA as how Adcoms see it. It has nothing to do with one's own college transcripts or how your college reports GPA.

And candgirl is correct, to be competitive for DO schools, applicants should re-take anything science-related below a B-.

Really? @Goro always suggests retaking C/D/F for grade replacement.

A C = a 2.0 in a class. That's damaging.

Reactions: 1 user
It is not the MCAT that is your problem it is your science gpa. I looked at some of the stats and it appears that less than 10% of those who matriculated to DO in 2013 had science gpa less than yours. Since you are applying to all the DO schools you may receive some interviews but in the meantime work on increasing your science gpa for potential reapplication next year.