2 A-'s in Prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratiocinate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally finished the prerequisites except for orgo 1 and 2. I got all A's, except for 2 A minuses (Physics 2 and Chem 2). How bad is this?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you stop trolling?

- MS degree - yes middle school!!

Reactions: 1 user
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it sounds like a spammy/trolling question, but I am serious. Are A-'s pretty much equivalent to A's? If not, how different are they?

You might have a chance if you apply to Texas schools. I believe they let A- grades slide.

Reactions: 5 users
How would you like to become a CNA for the rest of your life? Perhaps even in the Caribbean.

Just go pick up a job application at the nearest fast food chain.

And you want to go for a Masters?

No chance at medical school. Maybe try abroad or if you can get a 45 on the mcat, maybe you can get in.

But for real, in lieu of you may be trolling, an A- is a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.

From the fact that you guys think I'm trolling, I'm going to assume an A- is mostly non-distinguishable from an A?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the fact that you guys think I'm trolling, I'm going to assume an A- is mostly non-distinguishable from an A?

Nobody cares. As long as your gpas are good, a few A-'s won't matter at all.

If you're honestly not trolling, you need to caaallmmm down. The fact that you think having all As in pre-reqs and only 2 A-s could be a bad thing means that you clearly haven't done enough research.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to Caribbean medical schools.

I finally finished the prerequisites except for orgo 1 and 2. I got all A's, except for 2 A minuses (Physics 2 and Chem 2). How bad is this?

1. (most important) Chill out, people are going to hate being around you if you're that neurotic all the time. The average cGPA for matriculants last year was 3.69.

2.People have gotten into medical school with C's in pre-requisites. I'm guessing the vast majority of applicants have at least one A- (or worse) in a pre-requisite. I'm not sure if you're being arrogantly humble or just ignorant.

Last edited:
Quit trolling the new guy. Suggesting Caribbean, seriously?

OP, the best advice is to retake those classes and hopefully kill it with an A+. You might have a shot at DO school after an smp/post-bac.

Reactions: 7 users

tumblr_n0fqc7i1pt1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Last edited:
@popopopop Were you joking? Is it really a good idea to retake it? I know exactly why I got an A- instead of an A+, so I know I could.

Let's cool it with the joke/troll responses, guys.
You're right. There is a remote possibility that it's a serious question. But I feel that the OP (after doing well in these courses) can calculate his/her science GPA which should be ~3.9 out of 4. This question is being posed as if an A- or 2 can obliterate a GPA (something that only takes a middle school math level to figure out).

You're right. There is a remote possibility that it's a serious question. But I feel that the OP (after doing well in these courses) can calculate his/her science GPA which should be ~3.9 out of 4. This question is being posed as if an A- or 2 can obliterate a GPA (something that only takes a middle school math level to figure out).

I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of the OP. But maybe people should give others the benefit of the doubt and be helpful instead of posting a bunch of unhelpful comments in an attempt to be funny (and really, by the 20th time it's not funny anymore). :p

I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of the OP. But maybe people should give others the benefit of the doubt and be helpful instead of posting a bunch of unhelpful comments in an attempt to be funny (and really, by the 20th time it's not funny anymore). :p
C'mon, you had to at least find my "nail in the coffin" post somewhat amusing. And what's wrong with a little Texas humor?:p
Anyway, in the event that the OP is being serious, here are the median GPA's for a few schools:
Harvard 3.93
Hopkins 3.90
Wash U 3.89
Pritzker 3.87
Stanford 3.82
If she/he really only has 2 A- grades (including non-science classes) at this point, then they are on the right track.

From what i have been told AMCAS does not use The minus system. Not every college has it. That being true AMCAS has to compensate some how. on the AMCAS A- is the same as an A . Both an A- and an A have a wight of 4.0.

From what i have been told AMCAS does not use The minus system. Not every college has it. That being true AMCAS has to compensate some how. on the AMCAS A- is the same as an A 4.0.
I'm pretty sure AMCAS uses it. Although, the great state of Texas doesn't.

I'm pretty sure AMCAS uses it. Although, the great state of Texas doesn't.
Oh ok. I was going off of a friend that went to a plus/minus school a few years ago. I don't so i have never really looked into it.

From what i have been told AMCAS does not use The minus system. Not every college has it. That being true AMCAS has to compensate some how. on the AMCAS A- is the same as an A . Both an A- and an A have a wight of 4.0.

A- on amcas has a weight of 3.7, actually.

I got 7 C+s in my UG........

tumblr_inline_mzpsy39jIS1r79k32.gif

I am sure you learned in middle school that 3.7=/=4.0 right? I mean... After all I don't have a middle school degree... But I am pretty sure 3.7<4.0 so yes, it is distinguishable --- mode can we close these troll threads?

@moisne, I knew you didn't have a middle school degree! If you read carefully, you will see that I said "mostly non-distinguishable". "mostly non-distinguishable" =/= "mathematically equal". In other words, to simplify it for my elementary friend, will these A-'s have enough negative weight to put my application in jeopardy?

@moisne, I knew you didn't have a middle school degree! If you read carefully, you will see that I said "mostly non-distinguishable". "mostly non-distinguishable" =/= "mathematically equal". In other words, to simplify it for my elementary friend, will these A-'s have enough negative weight to put my application in jeopardy?

Did you read the comments on this thread? Quit being neurotic, as long as your overall gpa is fine, you have NOTHING to worry about.

To ask such a troll question. Ps - middle schools don't have degrees or I skipped middle school and high school to college directly? :0

You should be more concerned with your MCAT score and extra curriculars...there are plenty of "smart" people, what makes you any different? Plus your gpa doesn't reflect your intelligence or how well you know the content of your prerequisite courses, as a matter of fact there are plenty of people with straight A's who know absolutely nothing. Be concerned with what else you have to bring to the table, you do not need anyone on sdn to tell you that your grades are good, plus it's your overall gpa that matters too, not just your science gpa.

C'mon, you had to at least find my "nail in the coffin" post somewhat amusing. And what's wrong with a little Texas humor?:p
Anyway, in the event that the OP is being serious, here are the median GPA's for a few schools:
Harvard 3.93
Hopkins 3.90
Wash U 3.89
Pritzker 3.87
Stanford 3.82
If she/he really only has 2 A- grades (including non-science classes) at this point, then they are on the right track.

where the heck do you get "median" GPAs...who publishes that

I am sure you learned in middle school that 3.7=/=4.0 right? I mean... After all I don't have a middle school degree... But I am pretty sure 3.7<4.0 so yes, it is distinguishable --- mode can we close these troll threads?
To ask such a troll question. Ps - middle schools don't have degrees or I skipped middle school and high school to college directly? :0

This is still going on? Let it go, guys.