2 C's in general chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DjKanobi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 C's in general chemistry...does anyone think I still have a shot. I received b's in both orgo classes and an A- in biophysical chemistry at Cal. I'm thinking of retaking them, but would this be a waste of time. The material was not hard at all, I just did not focus at the time. Honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

2 C's in general chemistry...does anyone think I still have a shot. I received b's in both orgo classes and an A- in biophysical chemistry at Cal. I'm thinking of retaking them, but would this be a waste of time. The material was not hard at all, I just did not focus at the time. Honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

No clue. What is your science GPA? IMO a bad grade in a class only hurts you as much as it hurts your science GPA. I.E. if you have a 3.6 science GPA but a C+ in Organic, I don't see the huge deal. C-'s, D's, and F's are a different story for obvious reasons.

So the question is, what is your science GPA?

of course you still have a shot. I'm not sure if your a freshmen, but if you are, then its totally fine, if your not you just have to work harder to bring up your gpa from the 2 C's. You also have to start giving every class your all and you have to focus.

Dont retake them, (I dont even think you can b/c you have to get a C- to retake), but your grade will average out during the application process, and they will still see that you got a C. Just work harder from now on and do your best, that way you can always say "at least I tried my best", instead of "what if i didnt slack off, maybe I would have had a shot".

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your comments. Just to clear things up. I am going to be a senior this fall and will graduate with probably a 3.4-3.5 bcpm and a 3.5-3.6 ao. I havent taken the mcats yet and will maybe try and get a clinical research position or do some post bacc after spring of 08, which is around the same time i will take the mcats.

of course you still have a shot. I'm not sure if your a freshmen, but if you are, then its totally fine, if your not you just have to work harder to bring up your gpa from the 2 C's. You also have to start giving every class your all and you have to focus.

Dont retake them, (I dont even think you can b/c you have to get a C- to retake), but your grade will average out during the application process, and they will still see that you got a C. Just work harder from now on and do your best, that way you can always say "at least I tried my best", instead of "what if i didnt slack off, maybe I would have had a shot".

so sorry to dig up an old thread, but i'm wondering about this.

i'm currently a sophmore in the state of texas and i know that there's a different way of applying here than the amcas but i'm not really sure of the specifics (so hopefully someone can help me :) )

i have a C- in my gen chem 1 class and i have a B+ in my genchem 2 class, so will my C- become a C and my B+ become a B (well according to the texas admission specifically)?

thanks in advance!

so sorry to dig up an old thread, but i'm wondering about this.

i'm currently a sophmore in the state of texas and i know that there's a different way of applying here than the amcas but i'm not really sure of the specifics (so hopefully someone can help me :) )

i have a C- in my gen chem 1 class and i have a B+ in my genchem 2 class, so will my C- become a C and my B+ become a B (well according to the texas admission specifically)?

thanks in advance!

Why would they? They are separate classes; each grade contributes to its respective course, there's no melding....

Unless Texas is really, really weird like that? Doubt it, though.

Why would they? They are separate classes; each grade contributes to its respective course, there's no melding....

Unless Texas is really, really weird like that? Doubt it, though.

oh, well my pre med advisor said that the tmdas (i think that's right) rounds each of your grades to the middle, so like if i got a C-, then it becomes a C. I don't mind that, i actually think it's good if that happens! :D

the bad news is that the B + i got in second semester goes down to a B.

but this is all what she said, i hear different things from different people that go here and i'm not sure what the real deal is :\

Hey Rotten Apples,

I think what your advisor was saying is that TMDSAS dont actually use + or - in calculating your GPA (they do their own calculation of your GPA instead of just taking the GPA your school shows). It's actually a state law. I'm pretty sure one reason is that not every school has + and - so it's not fair for them to give someone who got a 92 in a class 3.66 grade points b/c their school gave them an A- and give another student who got a 90 in that same class the full 4.0 b/c their school doesn't have +/- grading system. Also, some schools that do use the +/- grading system have A+ while other's don't. My University, for example, uses + and - but the highest grade you can get is an A (4.0) while I've heard of other Universities that give A+ which they calculate as 4.33. It's just a way to ensure that the GPA calculations are uniformed.

I think there are some people who are somewhat blind-sided by this b/c it's possible for your GPA to drop some (assuming you have more + grades than -). On the other hand, some might be pleasantly surprised (assuming they have more - grades than +.. their GPA would go up slightly).

Your C- and B+ would actually balance eachother out anyway, so in that scenario, it doesn't matter much. Best of luck to you! :luck: :thumbup:

Hey Rotten Apples,

I think what your advisor was saying is that TMDSAS dont actually use + or - in calculating your GPA (they do their own calculation of your GPA instead of just taking the GPA your school shows). It's actually a state law. I'm pretty sure one reason is that not every school has + and - so it's not fair for them to give someone who got a 92 in a class 3.66 grade points b/c their school gave them an A- and give another student who got a 90 in that same class the full 4.0 b/c their school doesn't have +/- grading system. Also, some schools that do use the +/- grading system have A+ while other's don't. My University, for example, uses + and - but the highest grade you can get is an A (4.0) while I've heard of other Universities that give A+ which they calculate as 4.33. It's just a way to ensure that the GPA calculations are uniformed.

I think there are some people who are somewhat blind-sided by this b/c it's possible for your GPA to drop some (assuming you have more + grades than -). On the other hand, some might be pleasantly surprised (assuming they have more - grades than +.. their GPA would go up slightly).

Your C- and B+ would actually balance eachother out anyway, so in that scenario, it doesn't matter much. Best of luck to you! :luck: :thumbup:

is C bad? of course it is, but thats not really a problem b/c you can always take more advanced classes and get better grades to have your overall gpa above 3.5 or what not.
but the real question is, why did you get C? did you not understand the concepts or u just didn't study enough? either way, you are gonna have to put in lot more effort when you study for chem for mcat. when it comes to applying to school, those b, c here and there won't make much difference; but you def. need to learn those intro classes very very well to do well in the mcat.

wait, you got c's in chem1a but you dropped an A- in chem 130? biophysical chem was like the hardest class i've ever taken (besides bio 1a)

Bio 1a? What is that?

Also, is organic chemistry easier than general chem?

as an m1 who had 2 c's in chemistry, I can honestly say "yes you have a shot"

dont give up

(ps I never retook any classes. I would not retake a C, that's nonsense)

Bio 1a? What is that?

Also, is organic chemistry easier than general chem?

Seems like it varies by the person; some people around here say organic chemistry was easy for them, some say it's hard. There isn't going to be a definitive answer for you.

So would Bio 1a be like General Bio I? If so, I got an A in that class :)

All I do now is go to supplemental class sessions and read the book sections twice. Works :thumbup:

wait, you got c's in chem1a but you dropped an A- in chem 130? biophysical chem was like the hardest class i've ever taken (besides bio 1a)

well in my general chem classes, I honestly did not study at all. For some reason I really didn't care at the time about grades. I was really unmotivated and going to school with no particular direction. anyway when i got to Cal i ended up trying a harder. Also for some reason i really enjoyed and understood biophysical chem...weird

Any way thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm not gonna let a couple of bad decisions derail me from my new found goal.

Man this board is great when you need a pick-me-up!