2 days to make a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jude979

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in 2 days i am supposed to decide the fate for the next 4 years of my life

just graduated from iowa, accepted to iowa med for this fall, just got pulled off ohio state's hold list this morning...OSU wants a yes or no by thursday

iowa is the easy choice for me...instate rez, no big move, close to family and gf, great school, etc

any words on pro-OSU that can make the easy choice go away in 2 days?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

According to USNews Ohio State is 44 and Iowa is 30, so the difference is somewhat marginal. I'd say stay in Iowa (it's ranked slightly higher) and keep all the perks you listed (in state tuition, proximity, gf, etc.). :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 3rd year medical student. If you can, stay close to your family--I really wish I had. Also, the instate tuition will make a BIG difference in your future. I'm paying private school tuition, and it's NOT fun. Also, you're right--the difference in ranking is not really significant. To me, the answer seems clear: go to your state school and stay close to family! (but this is, of course, only an opinioin.)

Good luck with your decision!

spiderman...iowa, not iowa state [it's a sin to confuse the two here]

my only other qualm with staying here is the fact that i have been in iowa city for 4 years and am looking to be here for 4 more...maybe somewhere else can give me better life experiences than becoming a dinosaur in this town

rankings thrown out the window...they are meaningless for me right now...specifics on OSU? curric? student life? how do the 3 pathways affect the class unity? does it suck sitting in the same room from 8-12 five days a week as the profs cycle in to teach?

Columbus is a nice mid-sized city to live in, but I can see no real benefit of turning down your in-state acceptance at Iowa. The tuition is cheaper and Iowa is a great school. If the choice was Hopkins or Iowa, or UCSF or Iowa, or Iowa vs. any great city/great school then you might have a dilemma. This is a no brainer. Go to Iowa.