Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

2 months before Med School and feeling very unsure

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by Smiths11, 05.16.12.

1. Smiths11

Smiths11

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    School starts in August. But now I'm feeling unsure as to whether I want this or not. I know it's a major decision and I should take it very seriously. But I can't help but rethink. I wouldn't want to do something that I don't love, nor would I want to take a seat away from someone who does love and deserve it. I'm really worried. :(

Can anyone offer me any sort of advice? Is it possible at all for me to push back my admission by 1 year with my school? I'd rather not name the school here, but it is a D.O. school.

2. yellowperil

yellowperil

Pre-Medical
    You can call the school that accepted you and ask if you can defer your acceptance.

3. MrNovember

MrNovember

Medical Student
    Why are you unsure?

4. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Most med schools will allow a one-year deferment if they receive your request in June. Some schools may ask for a deposit to hold your seat in the next class, some may ask for a plan of activity for what you'll be doing. Ask your school for specific instructions.

5. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Removed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Put on the helmet and on with the game. You had enough time to be unsure before and you concluded you wanted it. Now you're just getting scared because it's becoming real.

6. miltown66

miltown66

Medical Student
    I'm a wait-listed student, but I still say that you shouldn't base this decision on anybody but yourself. If you are unsure about something within yourself, then definitely evaluate the situation thoroughly before making any decisions. However, forget that nonsense about taking a spot away from someone else. You earned that spot. Your school wouldn't have given you the seat if they didn't think you would make a good physician.

FWIW, I went through the same thing last year. I wasn't really sure if I truly wanted this or not. You have to let go of the philosophical stuff that's been indoctrinated in you about why you want to become a physician. Be honest with yourself. Figure out why you wanted to do this in the first place, and whether or not your current goals match that. Even if they have changed, as long as they can get you through the tough times in classes/rotations/residency, I'd say that your career choice is still valid. Personally, I'm grateful for the experience of having to go through such an introspective process. It probably cost me a spot in the c/o 2016, but in the end, it cleared things up for me.

7. hmania

hmania

Pre-Medical, Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Honestly, I think many of us on this forum wished we were in your shoes.

8. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    As a pre-med dying to get into med school, nothing irritates me more than people complaining about starting soon ("my life is over, blah blah blah") or MS1/MS2 complaining about how all they do is study and they can't stand their lecturers or their exams are so hard or whatever. Everyone knows what they are getting into when they apply to medical school. Suck it up or don't bother doing it.

9. ChaiMeow

ChaiMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I disagree that the OP is complaining. It's hard to understand this feeling without being there and having the acceptance in your hand, waiting, and then questioning. This is an important life decision. Take your time and make sure that this is what you want. One thing that helps me remember is "what would I do if I won a billion dollars?" I can answer confidently that I'd be doing exactly this...just go with your gut! I've gone through similar thoughts actually, and I think cold feet can be a normal part of this process.

10. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Seems like it's a decision you already should have made.

I'll just randomly spend several years of my life taking arguably the hardest classes most undergraduate programs have to offer, tons of time volunteering in a field I only kind of like, more hours shadowing some man/woman who has a job I'm moderately interested in, even more hours studying for some ridiculous test called the MCAT, more time filling out this huge application that requires a 5000 word personal statement and descriptions for every single thing I've done for the past several years. Oh, and then let me shell out $1k+ for something I'm not even sure I want to do.

Oh, and last but not least, when I go to the interview I'll have an elaborate lie setup to convince people that I'm 100% positive and committed to something I'm only moderately sure I even care about.

Yup. Great plan.

Last edited: 05.16.12
  11. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't think it is very fair for people to be bastardizing the OP for this. As with anything else in life, the excitement dies down. The "you should have thought about that" argument could be applied to anything in life. Getting divorced? The relationship is different when real life sets in. Weren't financially ready for kids? They are a lot more expensivd than you think. This is no different.

OP- you need to figure out if this is a simple case of "buyers remorse" or if you are really questioning it. Don't listen to the people saying you are an idiot for questioning. It doesn't concern them. Figure out why you were excited. Try to get back to that. If you can't, maybe you really do need more time.

I am super excited to start but as it gets closer, I think about the time I get to spend doing the things I like and how it is virtually going to be gone and it makes me nervous. Try to figure it out and anyone who doesn't understand, tell them to blow it out their ass.

12. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1
    And I totally feel ya on the bold part :thumbup:

13. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I'm sure most of us that are starting this fall are getting a little nervous. Its a whole new deal to us, its major leauge time now. I'm sure alot of us question "Am I actually going to be able to do this?" "Am I smart enough" "I will have no life", ect... but if this is something you really want then you get through that. OP if medicine is really what you see yourself doing in life then take some time, go relax, go do anything you want to and then open a can of whoop @ss in the fall.

14. Jumbles

Jumbles

Dntke - What are you doing inside of my mind? I ask myself the bold questions EVERY DAY.

OP - agree with the folks who suggest you try to find the reason that you put yourself through all of the pre-med aspects in order to get back in touch with your reasons for wanting to be a physician in the first place. (re-read your personal statement, maybe, and know that you put that together for a reason.) if you can't re-discover your passion, ask the school to give you more time to find it. :xf:

15. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree with the last few posters and dismiss anyone who's calling you out on it. They don't know the feeling that we feel. Pre-med mentality is "I wanna get in, I wanna get in!" Once you get in, it's like, "OMG can I really do this?" Two months left, and then we're on our way to becoming doctors. It's terrifying. Obviously when we all started this journey in highschool/college, we wanted to be doctors. As the days count down, the reality is setting in and you can't help but question yourself: "Am I ready?"

However, I get the vibe from you that this is merely "cold feet." Just like before any major commitment, you doubt yourself and you second-guess if this is really what you want. But I assure you, this is what you want. This is what you have built your life to become and all you need is a nudge to get you over the edge and drive back that fear. You won't be alone in this journey; man the f*ck up and get ready for a wild ride.

P.S. I took 3 years after college to decide I wanted to be a physician so I'm ready to go and confident. But I can relate to the feelings of the OP and my fellow 2016ers.

16. ChaiMeow

ChaiMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can't believe how heartless some of the people posting on this thread are. Have they never been in a situation where they have a change of heart? Think of broken engagements at the last minute. Anyway, not to detract from what the OP is asking about, but it's nice to hear others share their feelings about the pre-MS1 jitters. I myself have started shaking in my boots a bit...but we're all in this together, right? :D

17. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ha glad I'm not the only one that's like... sh!t... I better be as smart and determined as I told the adcoms I was...

18. Mosonik

Mosonik

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You've got some good advice on this thread from other people who are experiencing similar things or have gone through it themselves. The year of deferment could be good if you really need it but you'll have to sort out what's driving your uncertainty. The fact you are in this situation means you can definitely get through it if you want to but if it won't be an enjoyable thing in the long term that's okay too. I've known a hand full of students who COULD have been doctors but chose other careers that fulfilled them, like cooking or music or something else. At the end of the day it's more important about who you are not what you are. Good luck to you!

19. Prncssbuttercup

Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- OMSIII

Where ever I am, I wish I was in Breckenridge CO
    Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OP, I am FREAKING TERRIFIED!!! I quoted all of these for truth, and I have a feeling you could be in my boat... it's the 'HOLY SHIAT we're gonna do this' boat... Unless you are really truly not sure you want to become a doctor, I have a feeling you're getting the jitters just like before a wedding... ;) it's a big deal, a lifelong thing... and it's freaking scary!!! I need a hug... seriously, terrified...

20. ManBroDude

ManBroDude Half man, half bearpig

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll laugh when OP comes back and admits he really wanted to go Carib for the weather.

21. DrapDO

DrapDO -KCOM Class of 2016-

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was talking to my cousin who is a OMS-II the other day and told him how I keep having these dreams of starting med school and being the only one who didn't know what they were doing/ not being able to find my class/ or being given a test and having to guess on everything...ect he just laughed and said" you are a perfectly normal incoming OMS-I and most everybody he knows went through an oh crap can I do this!!? :scared:phase a few months before classes start.

He told me to realize that I was not going to be this oddly average person within a group of people who are genius super students that are smarter and more capable than I am. He said the reality will be the whole class including myself is fully prepared, smart enough, and more than capable of being successful or we wouldn't be there in the first place, just do your part and work hard and you will be fine. So I thought about what he said and tried to get it to sink into my subconscious and guess what? No more weird med school dreams!

O.P. Don’t let the premeds who have no clue what they are talking about get to you! One day if their lucky enough, they will be a few months out from starting what will be the hardest and most expensive journey of their lives and be crapping their pants too.

22. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just looked at my financial aid award package this morning and I cried a little. A little.

23. ManBroDude

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I get emotional when I get showered with thousands of dollars, too.

24. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You know, it's more the idea of compounding interest + 70k/yr + having to pay that all back. But I get what you're saying. ;):laugh:

25. fahimaz7

fahimaz7

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    1. You will have a life.
    2. It's not that bad
    3. Everyone works hard, regardless of whether or not you go to medical school.
    4. Anyone who gets accepted can graduate
    5. Failure is rare
    6. It's a blessing to be accepted. True story.

26. tenndoc

tenndoc bringer of sarcasm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i havent even touched my financial aid package yet. *gulp*

and im so glad there are others out there with these thoughts. maybe we can get together and cry about it over a bowl of ice cream?

27. MedMentor

MedMentor

Medical Student
    This is reassuring. Love it. I'm not being sarcastic, simple statements like this make a big difference. OP you're not alone.

28. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    But it sounds like the OP is considering giving up his spot. I understand that as with any big change to your life there is some anxiety involved, but are you personally thinking about not starting medical school?

29. hiyaman

hiyaman under the bad sun

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hey I feel the same way. When I start thinking about all the information that i'm going to learn...I start to doubt whether or not my brain can handle it lol. I'm pretty excited to start but at the same time I don't want to start anytime soon. I felt this way for college as well.

30. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will have more than you think you can handle. The key is to find your own way of studying, since med school is a different world. If you study the equivalent of, say, working a full-time job, you'll pass. Getting an A is a different story. LOL.

31. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :scared:

32. ManBroDude

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll be the first to admit I won't be breaking my back for an A. I know you're probably gasping in your seat, all you neurotic pre-meds, you. I'll be focusing on the big picture and annotating First Aid like mad. No one gives a crap what your grades are if you score below average on your boards.

I will give multiple ways of studying a shot until I settle on the best way for me. I've worked and gone to school at the same time for so long that treating M1 like a 50-hour work week seems kind of like a relief.

33. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You got it. Always, always keep an eye on the big picture. Preclinical grades are far less important than board scores and rotation evals.

Last edited: 05.18.12
  34. mtromer13

mtromer13

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Annotate first aid? Someone else told me to punch holes in the first aid books, put them in a binder, and attach notes as you go through lectures. Is that what you're talking about?

35. ManBroDude

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I'll tell you when I start classes and buy First Aid :D No real way to know what's going to work for me. But that sounds nice. If I get lucky I might get a tablet and load it on there and make notes that way. Who knows.

36. Dr. Toaster

Dr. Toaster There and back again

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    1. Some schools will let you defer, but you really need a "good" reason, not cold feet.
    2. On that note, take a little while and try to figure out if you are dealing with cold feet or if you have some really serious reservations.
    3. The debt is immense and not to be undertaken lightly. It is still my #1 stressor, even when studying for boards or prepping for exams. It is one of the hardest things about medical school.
    4. You CAN pay it off, and if you are financing the whole of medical school by yourself, you will still be able to pay it off. Don't expect to live like a fancy TV doctor at all during residency (or ever, really), but it will be okay.
    5. Your personal relationships may suffer; they also may not suffer. Go into medical school with this understanding, and don't be surprised either way.
    6. You will have free time. I had loads of free time my 1st and 2nd year, partially because it was there and partially because I had to have it for my own health. You can have hobbies; you get breaks/vacation. It is okay. 3rd year, not so much, but 3rd and 4th year are more like a job, less like intense college.
    7. Pretty much everyone feels like you do. If not, I would wonder if you lack insight into your situation. Medical school is really an insane undertaking.
    8. Once you start, it gets easier. You are too distracted by minutiae and studying and yet another cup of coffee to really worry or wonder.
    9. If you are concerned that you do not actually want to be a doctor, then it is absolutely in your best interest to quit before you start. Once you are about 1.5 years in, you are basically financially stuck in a career you do not love. I do have classmates in this position.
    10. Bear in mind that you may not love/be passionate about any career. Frankly, you could end up hating medicine; some people do. In this day and age, though, it is a really, really good job with lots of opportunities. You will not lack a paycheck, and your paycheck (regardless of the future of reimbursements, etc) will still be better than most people's paychecks. If you are basically sure about medicine, I'd argue that you should go for it. You could spend those 4 years searching for something else, end up in the same place, and be jobless.

Frankly, OP, I would argue that you should just do it if you are going to do it at all. Deferring is okay, but you are also losing out on a future year of full income (which would range from $150-250K in most specialties) as a practicing physician. You've gotten access to a field that most people will never have access to. It is hard; it can be depressing. There are also light and happy moments. You'll make friends that understand this unique experience unlike any other. You'll learn and forget and learn and forget - forever. I'm quite sure that if you had the smarts to be admitted, you have what it takes to finish.

Now that I'm almost on the other side, I can say that the crap was worth it. You won't regret it, and it will make you a stronger person.

Best of luck!

Last edited: 05.18.12
  37. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    MedMentor got the ban hammer... Wonder why

38. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Maybe for pushing his Apple App on the forum?

39. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Annotating is a personal thing - some people write on the margins with a pen or pencil, some prefer a separate piece of paper, some don't write anything at all. First Aid is great, but you don't really need it until 2nd year. It presumes some knowledge many 1st years don't have. Just concentrate on your classes first.

40. hiyaman

hiyaman under the bad sun

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lol thanks for the advice. gotta dig around in the med student forums for studying tips haha. But first summer.:laugh:

41. zeroseventysix

zeroseventysix

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Government backed student loans are simple interest and do not compound. However, interest does "capitalize" upon entering repayment, but that's completely different. Off-topic, but just thought I'd clear that up.

42. TallScrubs

TallScrubs Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Give me your number. I'm going to call you when you're balls-deep in a term and I'm going to see if you still seem so idealistic and chipper. The first time you think to yourself, 'f**k studying, I want this test/term/year to be over' I want you to think about what you just said.

Complaining is the name of the game in med school. I bitch all the time that doesn't mean I didn't know what I was getting into or that I like it any less.

43. Dr.TurkandJD

Dr.TurkandJD One Dream

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am sorry OP, but I cannot sympathize with you. Everyone on these boards would do ANYTHING to have the "problem" of being unsure. How do you go through all the schooling, studying, EC and then think your not 100% convinced medicine is your passion? You need to figure out if you would be happy doing anything else. I wish I was in your shoes and had an acceptance.

This post makes me think of first world problems.

44. jinobi

jinobi

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Notice how it's (some) of the pre-meds who are lambasting the OP for his hesitance. Going to medicine is a hard decision, and I understand how people can have cold feet. The reality of your acceptance is here, and it's understandable how setting the next 8 years of your life in stone can be unnerving. Nonetheless, you are one of the few that have been accepted; I'd say reach out to a couple of MD/DO attending mentors, talk out your concerns with them, and get their advice on how med school was for them. maldabrroc777 made some good points that I agree on.

P.S. MedPR, love how you're also assuming to know how we MS1/MS2 are, and how you're going to be so much better that us at handling the curriculum. Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back, why dont'cha.

45. zeroseventysix

zeroseventysix

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    10 bucks says MedPR = future gunner.

46. tenndoc

tenndoc bringer of sarcasm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1

47. LostInPreMed

LostInPreMed

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would equate this to having to pee while you are at the front of the line to get on the roller coaster. Do you really have to pee?...perhaps...but there is a better possibility this is being brought on by nerves. Of course you want to get on the ride or else you wouldn't have gotten in line and been standing there for the last few hours in the beating sun. You'll be ok! Take a deep breath, get on the ride...and keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times!

Onwards!

48. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, it's gonna be one helluva ride.
    http://www.blumpshart.com/2009/04/27/new-rollercoaster-in-ohio/

49. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for that clarification, but it doesn't make me feel any better :laugh::thumbup:

50. fireeyes

fireeyes

Medical Student
    This is one of the greatest metaphors I've ever heard, and I am a master of metaphors

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal