2 Options!! Advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have two options right now...

Option 1:

-Start studying for the DAT tomorrow for the next 10 weeks. (Have everything ready to roll as in study supplies)
-Take DAT June 1 and submit application as soon as possible.
-Currently in Organic 2, Stats, Physio and an online class.
-Have all A's but want to keep it that way.
-Worried I will have to either let grades suffer or DAT score; hard to focus 110% on both.

Option 2:

-Start studying for DAT May 11 (after finals); 10 solid weeks of nothing else. Take DAT July 20 and already have rest of application in.
-Worried about it being too late and missing out on some interviews.

STATS
GPA: 3.8 Overall and Science
Some CC credits.
Ton of work experience.
Good shadowing and volunteer work as well.

School List:
Indiana (in state)
Nova
UNLV
Midwestern
LECOM
WVU
Pitt
Uconn
UNC

Any advice on my dilemma as well as school list would be greatly appreciated. I want to nail the DAT to solidify my app and have no question about getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the DAT when you have had enough time to prepare- getting the best score you can will mean more than taking it earlier! Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Normally I'd advise taking the DAT as soon as possible and apply by the last Friday in June but with your grades you'll be fine having your application sent in July/August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second Option seems legit. If you're grades are killer and average DAT. then you'll still be fine breh.

Option two would suit you best. Don't divide your focus. Finish strong with your classes first then finish strong with the DAT. Good luck!

I say take the dat early, only because a few of those schools start interviewing early.. You want your app complete asap. Take it from me... That's what I should of done

I personally would try to study during the semester. If it's too difficult or hard to manage with all the classes, then delay it.

I'm in a very very similar boat. I've been studying since January taking it end of may apply june.

If I take practice tests right before and don't feel confident I will delay but if I feel decent I will apply. Many schools I've talked to all emphasis applying early, so if you can Id go for it.

Option 2, learn org chem and physio well so you have an easier time in that area when studying for the DAT and it will probably help you reduce your study time. Don't forget that it takes like a month for DAT score to be processed and get sent to schools.

Option 2. No need to stress yourself out with classes plus dat studying. Its really not a big deal to wait until July to take the dat as long as you do well. Don't worry about not having all of your stuff submitted June 1. There's really no point.

Also, I think 10 weeks of studying is a little excessive when you have a 3.8 gpa. 6 weeks of hard studying should be plenty of time for you to get a good score.

I did option 2 with lower GPA and was able to kill the DAT. I was accepted to my number 1 choice on December 1st....so I say option 2.

Definitely option 2. I did the same and I got into my first choice too! There is no reason why you should divide your attention and possibly screw up both. Just make sure you submit your application asap. I did the stupid thing to wait to submit my application after I took my DAT (mid july) and so the application was considered complete by August.