2 or 3 Classes + MCAT Studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSJC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently enrolled in 2 courses for my informal post-bac (Ochem I and HumPhys - retaking both so I have familiarity with both subjects) this semester. In the meantime, I have been and will continue to prepare for my MCAT test in early November. Do MD/DO schools look unfavorably upon taking only 2 classes during a semester? (I plan to take 4 next semester) Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to a state school and am only taking 8 hours to finish up my bachelor's and study for the MCAT. When I asked one of the Dean's (not sure precise position), but he did not appear to be alarmed by the situation. Hope that might answer your question a little bit!

Reactions: 1 user
That's good to hear - thank you for your input! Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Provided you have a good record with previous semesters while in undegrad, I don't think this would be a major concern. If you are somewhat of a nontrad/non-science graduate and have the good cGPA to show, then don't worry. If you are doing a DIY post-bac to boost your GPA, then make sure you are trending up compared to your undergrad years.

When you look at your application, are you worried that it does not accurately show a strong work ethic, competence in the sciences, and the ability to succeed in academically heavy situations? Do not give adcoms any reason to worry about being ready for the medical school curriculum, even if this means postponing your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user