2 plus 2 Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morgan the mitten

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my question is about the "2 plus 2" curriculum, which Mississippi State adheres to. I was wondering by having two whole years of clinical rotations and hands on experiences is it more ideal than other programs. My main concern is trying to choose between Auburn University and Mississippi since I am accepted at both schools. Auburn (I believe) has traditional lectures and labs for the first 3 years, then they have clinical rotations their final year. Any thoughts!? I really do not have any other factors for picking between these two schools, their tuition is about the same, and I did like both schools :) P.S. I was also accepted at Minnesota but THAT TUITION!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I prefer a 2+2 curriculum and a lot of our faculty says they notice a difference, and get feedback on, our students compared to other schools. If I'm going to be a doctor and in a clinical setting every day, it just makes sense to me to have as much clinical experience as possible.

I'd go with the 2+2. The vet I worked for once told me she learned much more in her 1 year of clinical rotations than she ever did in the previous 3 years of classwork. If you can get an extra year of clinical experience, why not? Good luck deciding. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd guess it makes no difference. Everything I've heard says that what you learn your first two years OUT of school dwarfs what you learn IN school.

I love the 2+2 setup over the 3+1 mainly because that meant I had less time in lectures. I had about all the lectures I could stomach by the time my class started clinics. Echoing LIS, I don't think you are any better or any worse off out in the real world if you choose one vs. the other because you just won't see all there is to see while you're in school.

Mixed bag, I think. You have more time in the clinic, but you have shorter summers (at least for Mizzou), which is time I'm using to do some externships. Also, when you have 2 years of students in the clinics at the same time, the case load is diminished for any one student, and there are more students at any one time. Just my $0.02.

I did 2.5 + 1.5 and while I would opt for the same schedule again (we get some flexibility in planning 3rd and 4th year), I am pretty thoroughly exhausted. I think another 6 months of sleep/food/life deprivation in clinics would be really hard. That said, I am at a totally different school so depending on how the scheduling and caseload are, it could be totally different.