2 questions....1 thread...WOW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurrayButler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 quick questions if anyone can help....

Is it very uncommon for podiatry students to work for a podiatrist in the summers? If so, anyone know any info on some who might be interested?

Also, I am from Tennessee and I have been told that podiatrists here have limited power as to what they can do surgically by law. Is this true? I have not been able to find much out so far and I'm not sure how credible the source is....

Thanks, Murray

Members don't see this ad.

MurrayButler said:

Is it very uncommon for podiatry students to work for a podiatrist in the summers? If so, anyone know any info on some who might be interested?

Also, I am from Tennessee and I have been told that podiatrists here have limited power as to what they can do surgically by law. Is this true? I have not been able to find much out so far and I'm not sure how credible the source is....

Thanks, Murray

Some Podiatrist will allow students to work for them over the summer but I think the students had already known the podiatrist or worked for the podiatrist before starting school.

Different states have different regs. Most of the limitations are wrt amputations. I know longer have access to a pdf that discusses the topic since my desk to hard drive crashed but there is a pdf available that discusses each state. Ask where it can be found during orientation.

I believe most states allow foot and ankle surgery with the ankle including the tibia and fibula. Soft tissue up to the hip. It is also dependant on board qualifications.

On the APMA website you should be able to find links leading to some documents that list all of the state practice laws (and summarized for comparison in charts.)

As mentioned in the previous postings, different states have different levels of body that the podiatrist can work on. This also applies to level of amputation as well.

As per the APMA website, in 2002, 37 states do allow the podiatrist to operate on both the ankle and foot. How far a podiatrist can go up on the leg will vary from state to state. The following states do NOT allow the podiatrist to operate on the ankle (hence, they may operate on the foot only): Wyoming, South Dakota, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Indiana, South Carolina, Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York. State laws are constantly changing and I would recommend you contacting the specific state for the most current laws on the scope of practice for the podiatrist in that state.

MurrayButler said:

Thanks, Murray