2 questions about the upcoming match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Do I need ACLS and PALS certification prior to sending my application? There is a question that asks if we have these certifications.

2) What, if any, experiences would you include from college? Writing for the student paper? President or member of an organization?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Being president or member of an organization in medical school is pretty meaningless to PDs, so I would figure they'd flat out laugh at you if you included that kind of information from your time in college.

I'd include any publications from college if you're going for an academic program.

From what I understand it totally isn't necessary to have PALS and ACLS before residency as they will certify you if you are not certified already. But, since they are boxes on ERAS I got certified just in case it somehow magically helped with something.

The other question I guess depends on what else you have on your application from medical school. If you have few experiences, it may be good to include the most important and meaningful from college so that you don't have a bunch of blanks. If you have much better stuff in med school, just include any from college that really stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than research experience that has led to publication, do not include any undergrad extracurriculars, or run the risk of looking like a giant tool.

Other than research experience that has led to publication, do not include any undergrad extracurriculars, or run the risk of looking like a giant tool.

I think if you were a volunteer EMT that would probably be acceptable to put on.