2 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loteyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Question:
I've heard that when you get accepted to Canadian Dental Schools, you just have to pass and no long have to compete to get the A+ or whatever, is this true for American schools? Like is passing good enough? I'm poor at time management and hope pass/fail is the case

Second Question:
I hear people saying on this site that "this school is better than that school clinically..." Like I've heard people say that Harvard isn't a good place to go for dental school. Where do people get these ideas? Is there some sort of list I can see that has a ranking on which schools have the best clinical practice? Can someone tell me what school's are considered the best for dental school? I'm a guy looking to just get accepted anywhere, but want to best education and clinical training as possible

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt there is a list of where you will get the most clinical experience. You really need to research each school on here or the schools website to look at the curriculum for that info.

First Question:
I've heard that when you get accepted to Canadian Dental Schools, you just have to pass and no long have to compete to get the A+ or whatever, is this true for American schools? Like is passing good enough? I'm poor at time management and hope pass/fail is the case

Second Question:
I hear people saying on this site that "this school is better than that school clinically..." Like I've heard people say that Harvard isn't a good place to go for dental school. Where do people get these ideas? Is there some sort of list I can see that has a ranking on which schools have the best clinical practice? Can someone tell me what school's are considered the best for dental school? I'm a guy looking to just get accepted anywhere, but want to best education and clinical training as possible

Thanks
1. Once you get accepted Id say shoot for atleast a 3.5, don't risk it with any Cs.

2. I've found that if you research the school long enough you can find the total hours spent in clinic in your D3 and D4 years. The only other way I've found is to ask students who currently attend that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Once you get accepted Id say shoot for atleast a 3.5, don't risk it with any Cs.

2. I've found that if you research the school long enough you can find the total hours spent in clinic in your D3 and D4 years. The only other way I've found is to ask students who currently attend that school.

Thanks! I'm Canadian so I don't know many students that attended the schools down there. I guess I'll look it up on their websites, that answered my questions perfectly.

I'm surprised Doc Toothache doesn't have a comprehensive list of clinical hours. He has everything from cost of schools to types of toilet paper used on each campus but no clinical hours?
Thanks! I'm Canadian so I don't know many students that attended the schools down there. I guess I'll look it up on their websites, that answered my questions perfectly.
find them on here, look at the old acceptance/rejection threads of that school

I'm surprised Doc Toothache doesn't have a comprehensive list of clinical hours. He has everything from cost of schools to types of toilet paper used on each campus but no clinical hours?

find them on here, look at the old acceptance/rejection threads of that school

Okay thanks man, I'm still new to this site and how to navigate it, but I will do so. I was surprised Doc never did so either.

Not all Canadian Dental schools work the same. Some may have a passing % of 50% like all other undergraduate programs, but some will have higher standards (eg 60%). So yes, it is true that you no longer have to compete for an A+ assuming your primary goal is a DMD.

Not all Canadian Dental schools work the same. Some may have a passing % of 50% like all other undergraduate programs, but some will have higher standards (eg 60%). So yes, it is true that you no longer have to compete for an A+ assuming your primary goal is a DMD.

Yeah, my goal is DMD, I just don't think I will be able to excel like others. I'm a hard worker, not necessarily smart. My time management is poor and I'm looking forward to times where I just get to chill and ride the bell curve

To answer your first question. You are correct kind of. Yes it's true that you need to pass in order to continue (passing grade is 60%) at UofT dental. Although, they still award you letter grades (A+,A,A-,B+, etc). With your second question there are better schools which are better clinically than others. With Harvard, that rumour is true. I was actually talking with an oral surgeon at my school about it today. The best thing to do is to talk with your local dentists, some have a very good idea about which schools are strong clinically.

To answer your first question. You are correct kind of. Yes it's true that you need to pass in order to continue (passing grade is 60%) at UofT dental. Although, they still award you letter grades (A+,A,A-,B+, etc). With your second question there are better schools which are better clinically than others. With Harvard, that rumour is true. I was actually talking with an oral surgeon at my school about it today. The best thing to do is to talk with your local dentists, some have a very good idea about which schools are strong clinically.

Thanks buddy! I will talk to some ex students about it. I was just hoping there was a list out there somewhere, but I will do some research here in winter break. UofT is my dream school, I'm an Alberta resident, but the states is just an option if all else fails.