2 quick questions about applications...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Should I write thank you cards to my letter writers? It seems kind of weird to do and I've thanked them a thousand times already, but I wasn't sure. Also, being realistic, there is a decent chance that they will have to send the letters again next application season.

2) I called a department about an application question and accidentally hung up before I said bye. I felt bad because she was really friendly. My question is, will they remember I did that when reviewing my application? They had my name and my ID information.

I am probably over-thinking everything but I just thought I'd get your input :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's always good to send thank yous, in the form of an email or a card, especially to your letter writers who have put the time and effort into writing and sending each one of your letters. Think of it this way...if you were a faculty member (assuming at least one of your writers are) and had to write 10-20 letters per person and have to write them for between 5-20 people per year, wouldn't you appreciate a physical thank you?

As far as the second question goes, I really wouldn't think that would matter too much.!

BTW, what schools/programs did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's always good to send thank yous, in the form of an email or a card, especially to your letter writers who have put the time and effort into writing and sending each one of your letters. Think of it this way...if you were a faculty member (assuming at least one of your writers are) and had to write 10-20 letters per person and have to write them for between 5-20 people per year, wouldn't you appreciate a physical thank you?

As far as the second question goes, I really wouldn't think that would matter too much.!

BTW, what schools/programs did you apply to?

I have thanked them in person as well. Do you think an actual card is necessary?

And I applied to 15 Clinical PhD programs.

I would say so. It's good practice, especially for if/when you get interviews. You should send thank you cards (or an email) to your potential mentor and the graduate student you stayed with for interviews.

I would say so. It's good practice, especially for if/when you get interviews. You should send thank you cards (or an email) to your potential mentor and the graduate student you stayed with for interviews.

I would definitely thank potential mentors for interviews and I planned on writing thank you cards to everyone who helped through the process before I leave for grad school. But it seemed strange to send thank you cards to my undergraduate PI's when I may be doing it all over again in a year. I have thanked them each at least once in email and once in person. More than anything, they just seem really annoyed at having to do it so I don't want to take up any more of their time with emails or visiting their office to give them a card.

They seem quick to get rid of me...I am a little too on top of things haha

Hey, it's never a bad thing to be on top of things! I would maybe wait a few weeks to do so, if you think you are bombarding them now. But again that's up to you...also leaving it where it is without a card would be fine too.

I would definitely thank potential mentors for interviews and I planned on writing thank you cards to everyone who helped through the process before I leave for grad school. But it seemed strange to send thank you cards to my undergraduate PI's when I may be doing it all over again in a year. I have thanked them each at least once in email and once in person. More than anything, they just seem really annoyed at having to do it so I don't want to take up any more of their time with emails or visiting their office to give them a card.

They seem quick to get rid of me...I am a little too on top of things haha

I am on my second attempt at applying to Clinical Phd and I would say one of the best decisions I made was to write (hand write on plain but nice paper cards) thank you cards to my PIs and recommenders as well as emails or cards to everyone I interviewed/ was hosted by. I found when asking my recommenders for letters again, they were very willing and the potential PIs I emailed to restate interest responded quickly and that they remember me. I can't attribute it all to a thank you cards but they definitely could hurt :)

1) You could get or make them a small gift (e.g., cookies, a $10 Starbucks gift card) if you feel up to it; I'm sure it'd be appreciated, but it's certainly not necessary.

2) I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed, though I think it's important to show your appreciation. My recommenders were very busy people and gave up a lot of their time to complete letters and recommendation forms for the 12 programs I applied to.